Hey guys. So I have a 1x12 I made myself with an 8ohm speaker (the head I use most has an 8ohm impedance and is not switchable) but I would like to add one more speaker. Both for the (small I know) amount of extra volume and to get a little more range tonally.
So the way I understand it multiple speakers can either be wired in series or parallel. And the way you figure out the ohms in series is to multiply the number of speakers by each speakers ohms (so 2 8ohm would be a total of 16) and in parallel you divide each speakers ohms by the number of speakers (so 2 8ohm would be a total of 4ohms). Is this correct?
I know you shouldn't have a lower ohm cabinet than your head puts out I think but I would like to add one speaker to my 1x12 and I don't see any way to keep it at 8phms if this is the case.
Thanks guys
Your math is correct, as is your conclusion.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
So if I want to add a speaker my best option is to get two more speakers?
What would happen if I got a 16 ohm speaker and wired it in? So I'd have 1 8ohm speaker and one 16ohm together.
Yes.

You would have a mismatch. It may not be a critical mismatch, as most amps can stand some degree of mismatch, but it would still be a mismatch.
Charles Darwin
Contrary to what has been said, do not on any account use two mismatched speakers in a cab, for a start in this situation wiring them in either series or parallel would give you completely the wrong impedances (24 and 5.3 ohms respectively) and if they are in parallel you will likely have too much current through the 8 ohm. In both instances power dissipation would be different between the speakers (one would be much louder, and could exceed the rating). You need two new speakers with the same impedance.

Also the increase in perceived volume will be pretty substantial.
That's not contrary to anything that's been said, and while it's not usually advisable, it's not wrong "on any account" to mix impedances. It can be done safely and effectively.

The "always match" dogma is the easiest way to ensure a safe set but it doesn't mean other options are wrong.
Okay. So I need two new speakers if I wanted to do that.
Well if like to just build my own. Especially considering my 1x12 as it is only weighs about 15 pounds. That means a lot to me lol. I'm a weenie haha
Well if I'm going to do it I want to do it right. Because I intend to keep this cabinet for quite a while
Well, what speaker do you currently have? A more efficient one and a closed back cab might get you what you want with less weight.

There are a lot of ways of "doing it right" and they don't all have to be a traditional 2x12.
Well I figure a 2x12 will give me a bit more low end, which is what I'm lacking. My amp just doesn't have a lot I think maybe.
But I have an eminence man o war
What amp?

I think the Man o War is pretty loud, and has decent bass, so you're probably right in thinking you need a bit more cab. Is the one you have open back? Closing it would help a lot if it's not, worth a try before spending money on more speakers.
Maybe share what amp you are using and post a youtube of the guitar tone you are shooting for. Experienced players will offer suggestions. Awesome guitar tone is the real question, not a physics lesson on ohms.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'm using an amt stonehead.
I'm not that particular with tone honestly. Although I like the general Mesa rectifier tone the best I think.
Mostly with another speaker I am looking for a smidge more volume maybe (maybe) and more thump in the bottom end. Mostly that. When palm muting for example. And I wanted to know about ohms because I will likely just make my cab myself. Although my cab is mostly open back...
Sorry, I'm having trouble finding good words to explain what im looking for apparently
Also I'll add that for home use my 1x12 does wonderfully. No problems. My problem is that when I'm playing live most of my Palm muting ends up not getting projected very well and not having much "oomph". It's more just a kind of scratchy "twick" sound that doesn't really contain much of a note per say. Similar to if you used Palm muting for clean sounds I think. However while I don't use metal level distortion, I use quite a bit I think. Similar to green day if you will
Quote by Roc8995
That's not contrary to anything that's been said, and while it's not usually advisable, it's not wrong "on any account" to mix impedances. It can be done safely and effectively.

The "always match" dogma is the easiest way to ensure a safe set but it doesn't mean other options are wrong.

Yeah fair point I was just trying make it clear that it was definitely not the thing to do in this situation.

I meant contrary to the suggestion that it might not be a critical mismatch, it is a critical mismatch - though now we've found out that we're talking solid state the series speaker wiring would probably be fine (though not ideal for max volume)
Quote by doubtfulsalmon
Yeah fair point I was just trying make it clear that it was definitely not the thing to do in this situation.

I meant contrary to the suggestion that it might not be a critical mismatch, it is a critical mismatch - though now we've found out that we're talking solid state the series speaker wiring would probably be fine (though not ideal for max volume)

No, it's not. "Critical" in this application as used means simply "likely to cause catastrophic malfunction" and that's simply not the case here. You're arguing a point that doesn't exist.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Lgarretto
Also I'll add that for home use my 1x12 does wonderfully. No problems. My problem is that when I'm playing live most of my Palm muting ends up not getting projected very well and not having much "oomph". It's more just a kind of scratchy "twick" sound that doesn't really contain much of a note per say. Similar to if you used Palm muting for clean sounds I think. However while I don't use metal level distortion, I use quite a bit I think. Similar to green day if you will

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. You play metal, you want the "thump", and your amp runs 8 ohm minimum impedance. Running 4ohms is not recommended for this amp and risks frying the head. The "thump" is best achieved with a closed back cab to tighten bass response so that is the first thing that must change. Either. 1x12 or 2x12 can produce it well but a tuned closed-back cab is the first step. The second thing is to get your speaker pointing at the guitar so you benefit from interaction between speakers, strings, and tone woods.

If you want to build a 2x12 cab I recommend 2 v30 16 ohm in parallel. If you want to make the most of your existing speaker, get the recommended cab volume from Eminence and build a nice tuned, closed-back 1x12 cab to bring out the thump. Then keep it on the ground but point it at your guitar.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Well mostly I play punk and 80s thrash.
But yes. Same idea I think.

Okay so I will try closing the back of my cab and see if that won't do the trick. And if I want a 2x12 I was considering v30s anyway but regardless I would need a couple of new speakers to do it. Okay. Thank you. That's what I wanted to know I think.
Quote by Lgarretto
Well mostly I play punk and 80s thrash.
But yes. Same idea I think.

Okay so I will try closing the back of my cab and see if that won't do the trick. And if I want a 2x12 I was considering v30s anyway but regardless I would need a couple of new speakers to do it. Okay. Thank you. That's what I wanted to know I think.

Cabinet volume is important to get the best bass response, so before you close the back on your existing cab, measure internal volume and make sure it meets cab specs for your speaker. A closed-back cab that is too small will choke the bass, causing it to sound thin, and a cab that is too large will have loose bass instead of that tightly controlled "thump". Get the numbers from Eminence and do the math for best results.

Check out a 1x12 TMR Thiele cab. $160 for an unfinished one
www.trmguitarcabs.com/ported-cabs.html

It will keep the weight lower than a 2x12, but it will have a way better bass response than your 1x12 and most 2x12 cabs. You could also build your own out of lighter material if you need/want to.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Okay
The cab I made is a 16"x17"x9" box with the speaker set into the face 1". The back is open except for the top 5 inches and the bottom 2 inches. I made it from 1/2" maple plywood and 1x2 pine boards (that's what I had. I didn't go buy anything).
Quote by Lgarretto
Okay
The cab I made is a 16"x17"x9" box with the speaker set into the face 1". The back is open except for the top 5 inches and the bottom 2 inches. I made it from 1/2" maple plywood and 1x2 pine boards (that's what I had. I didn't go buy anything).

You need a bigger box to bring out the best bass response of a Man of War. Probably 3cu ft based on its Thiele parameters. The Thiele enclosure listed by Rob is tuned for an EVM 12 and is not ideal for a MOW, but probably better than what you have. If I wanted "thump" I would build a 3 cu ft closed-back enclosure and angle the driver baffle up towards my guitar. Ymmv

Hmm. Okay. Well if I'm going to build a whole new cab and everything I'm just gunna build a 2x12 I think. Load it with some eminence governors. I believe they are similar to a vintage 30. And that was the other speaker I was going to get before I happened across a deal on the man o war I have now.
Quote by Lgarretto
Hmm. Okay. Well if I'm going to build a whole new cab and everything I'm just gunna build a 2x12 I think. Load it with some eminence governors. I believe they are similar to a vintage 30. And that was the other speaker I was going to get before I happened across a deal on the man o war I have now.

You do realize that V30 speakers and their clones like the governor don't have much bass, the ManoWar is a G12t75 clone and it has way more bass, maybe putting a V30 and G12t75 speaker in the 2x12 would be a better option or a V30 and a K100. V30's have a pronounced Midrange

If you want to keep with Eminence, the Swamp Thang has a lot of bass
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Really? I listened to the man o war and the governor and the governor sounded like it had a more pronounced low end to me.
And I like eminence because the prices are reasonable. Unless it's really what you want I can't see spending 200 bucks on one speaker when you can get something very close for less than half that. Just me maybe idk.
Quote by Lgarretto
Really? I listened to the man o war and the governor and the governor sounded like it had a more pronounced low end to me.
And I like eminence because the prices are reasonable. Unless it's really what you want I can't see spending 200 bucks on one speaker when you can get something very close for less than half that. Just me maybe idk.

I like Eminence speakers, I have a 4x12 with V1216's and a 1x12 with a GB128

The G12t75/MOW has a scooped sound, not a lot of mids but lots of bass and treble. the V30's have less bass and more pronounced mids and highs

You may want to look at WGS speakers, they are really nice and same price bracket or lower than Eminence. You can buy factory direct or from MF
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 28, 2015,
Well that just proves how little I know I guess. The video I heard went back and forth between s governor and a man o war. Maybe I get them mixed up though. I like my man o war pretty well, it just doesn't have as much thump as I would like. Although thinking about it I think I'll end up building a 2x12. I've been considering getting a second amp anyway