Hey - I've got a jvm410hjs that I love and I play it through a 1960a cabinet loaded with g12t-75's and I want to try the v30 x pattern but for now I can only afford 1 v30. Would it be alright to swap out just one of the 75's with a v30 for now? If so, any suggestions of which location to swap? Thanks.
Well, if they're the correct ohms together then why not.
If I'm correct then each speaker should be 16,
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Yes, but as the sensitivity is 3dB different, the v30 will be somewhat louder.

Not inherently a bad or good thing, just something to be aware of.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Fryderyczek
Well, if they're the correct ohms together then why not.
If I'm correct then each speaker should be 16,

I see the v30 comes in 8 or 16 so i will find the 16, thanks.
Quote by Arby911
Yes, but as the sensitivity is 3dB different, the v30 will be somewhat louder.

Not inherently a bad or good thing, just something to be aware of.

If thats the case i wonder if one v30 just might be enough to balance the tones better than overpowering with two...i guess i will see.
^^I don't see it being a problem. The V 30 occupies a quite different frequency range than your G12T-75s, and even though it's a bit louder I think they will blend very well. I've heard of a lot of people blending that combination in the X-pattern. Nobody complains about the V 30s dominating the sound...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
^ yeah, it's not normally a problem.

no real problem other than it might not sound as good as two of each (of course it might sound better).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by wazntme
Hey - I've got a jvm410hjs that I love and I play it through a 1960a cabinet loaded with g12t-75's and I want to try the v30 x pattern but for now I can only afford 1 v30. Would it be alright to swap out just one of the 75's with a v30 for now? If so, any suggestions of which location to swap? .

Location doesn't matter much, honestly, but if you want to hear it, you'll probably want to put it on one of the top two positions. If you're buying a NEW Vintage 30, be aware that what you hear when you install it will probably NOT be what you hear six months down the line; those speakers lose some of their mids harshness as they break in.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, it's not normally a problem.

no real problem other than it might not sound as good as two of each (of course it might sound better).

cool thanks - guess we will see then how one sounds to start with - maybe it will be sweet enough
Quote by dspellman
Location doesn't matter much, honestly, but if you want to hear it, you'll probably want to put it on one of the top two positions. If you're buying a NEW Vintage 30, be aware that what you hear when you install it will probably NOT be what you hear six months down the line; those speakers lose some of their mids harshness as they break in.

ok good to know - thanks. I will put it up top
Quote by dspellman
Location doesn't matter much, honestly, but if you want to hear it, you'll probably want to put it on one of the top two positions.
Which is precisely why people use an X pattern.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Which is precisely why people use an X pattern.

Huh? You can't put ONE speaker in an X pattern. And the OP is talking about replacing just one speaker.

Second, an X pattern really doesn't make much sense or, more specifically, doesn't matter.
This has been argued to death on other forums, of course, since the first caveman tried it, and people have snorted huge quantities of cork, waved RTAs at them, and finally admitted that X-patterns simply don't do anything significant, and certainly nothing beneficial.

Probably the best pattern is two speakers vertically next to two speakers arranged vertically. The only reason that helps is that if you split the two "columns" this creates and use them in stereo, the two arranged vertically will have a wider horizontal angle of dispersion. In fact, we've run just one side of a full stack (what amounts to four speakers in a column) with the other four turned off, and had much better horizontal dispersion than if we'd run all four on each cabinet, which produces some severe treble beaming.
What I mean is that the reason you gave for the placement of the single V30 is the same reasoning as using an X pattern. ie, you can hear both regardless of where you are standing, more or less. You often complain about 4x12's beaming - so if you are standing off to the side or different distances from the cab, you hear the same thing.
And fuck stereo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What I mean is that the reason you gave for the placement of the single V30 is the same reasoning as using an X pattern. ie, you can hear both regardless of where you are standing, more or less. You often complain about 4x12's beaming - so if you are standing off to the side or different distances from the cab, you hear the same thing.
And fuck stereo.

That may be the first legitimate reasoning I've heard for X pattern. Though I'm still not convinced that putting unmatched speakers in those things is a great idea...

Stereo cabinets have their uses, even if not for stereo. I have a pair of 2x12s that separated the two speakers (originally for "stereo"). We put one of them on each side of the stage, and the other guitar player plugged his head into both right sides, I got both left sides. That way we got to hear each other (and ourselves) no matter where we roamed on stage.
V30's and T75's do blend together well. That's why so many people do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dspellman
That may be the first legitimate reasoning I've heard for X pattern. Though I'm still not convinced that putting unmatched speakers in those things is a great idea...

Stereo cabinets have their uses, even if not for stereo. I have a pair of 2x12s that separated the two speakers (originally for "stereo"). We put one of them on each side of the stage, and the other guitar player plugged his head into both right sides, I got both left sides. That way we got to hear each other (and ourselves) no matter where we roamed on stage.

I love that stereo idea you do with the other guitarist in the band. Gonna try to set that up.

As far as the speaker swap, as much as I wanted to go with the v30, I found a warehouse vet30 on craigslist for $40 so I went with that. I put it in the upper left corner and I can say now that I am very happy with my sound now. Prior to the swap the sound was trebly and often piercing. The piercing is gone now. The sound is full and the bottom end has more clarity. The higher end less piercing but nice sounding. I don't know if I will need a second vet 30 in there. I will play around awhile longer but so far I love it.