Page 1 of 3
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/msnbcs-melissa-harris-perry-dont-say-hard-worker-because-its-offensive-to-slaves/

MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry took offense to a guest’s use of the term ‘hard worker’ Saturday, arguing that it diminished the experiences of slaves.

“If there’s somebody who is a hard worker when he goes to Washington, it’s Paul Ryan,” argued conservative guest Alfonso Aguilar. Harris-Perry didn’t disagree but wasn’t a fan of his word choice.

“I just want to pause on one thing, because I don’t disagree with you that I actually think Mr Ryan is a great choice for this role,” she said. “But I want us to be super careful when we use the language ‘hard worker.’ Because I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields on my office wall, because it is a reminder about what hard work looks like.”

Why do liberals hate words so much?
Arbeit macht frei.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
maybe she's trying to say that he fails to represent the working class?

idk tbh
Her words and her braids are equally powerful.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
It's not even necessarily a partisan thing (from the perspective of someone who more closely identifies as a conservative). Many people in general are just dumb and/or overly-sensitive. PC culture has (arguably) gone overboard, and most political figures have no interest on being on the wrong side of it (if for no other reason than to avoid the backlash of news sources, social media, etc.).
Quote by Mrs. O
i can't kill anyone, so i play music
msnbc is the worst lol

are people in cotton fields necessarily slaves though? it's not worth arguing over what a "hard worker" means in the first place but that's a given
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

what a worthless libtard

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
There's a reason south park is spending an entire season on social justice and political correctness. These people are not a 'tiny minority', they are showing up in the media and are a visibly malignant, growing tumor.
Quote by Shotgunmerc
But are they worse than the far right?

Genuine question. I hate political extremeness but I'm curious to hear who people believe are worse.

Ofc it's the conservatives
They hate intentionally whilst liberals flounder about and do damage to themselves more than anything really
The bar for social interaction should be set a lot higher than political ideology people
Quote by Shotgunmerc at #33655658

Genuine question. I hate political extremeness but I'm curious to hear who people believe are worse.

Nah. They're annoying but if we ever reach the day where SJWs are the worst people around I'd say we've done a good job as a society.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Shotgunmerc at #33655658

the right are bigger assholes

the left is just annoying as fuck
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Smug liberals are more annoying to me than stupid but earnest conservatives. Like, conservatives are bad because they are wrong about many things, but this strain of censory liberalism is self-congratulatory and comes with an attitude that is much worse.
I offer now as the time for the libs of UG to make fun of the "PC run amok!" comments.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by bradulator at #33655699
Smug liberals are more annoying to me than stupid but earnest conservatives. Like, conservatives are bad because they are wrong about many things, but this strain of censory liberalism is self-congratulatory and comes with an attitude that is much worse.

I agree I think

like when some conservative guy says something dumb, I just kinda shrug. But the left side of it is so smug and overly sensitive that I regularly just want their side to lose out of annoyance.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Conservatives saying something stupid is usually ignorance which I understand and don't think is the worst. Liberals saying something stupid often begets an attitude of "i am better than you" which is the worst.
Quote by Shotgunmerc

You're on UG. Most here are overtly liberal (not stated as a necessarily good or bad thing), so you're mostly going to get opinions from that end of the political spectrum.

I personally maintain a libertarian ideology, but I am not particularly interested in social issues. For that reason, I generally lean right. From my perspective, both are bad and maintain flawed political ideals.

The economic ideals of the far left terrify me and are far too idealistic to work in practice, but I also concede that the inherent social restrictions fostered by conservatives are way off base as well.

I'm pretty sure that most people do not subscribe to either political extremity, so comparing the two might not give the most insightful discussion here.
Quote by Mrs. O
Quote by javiero
You're on UG. Most here are overtly liberal (not stated as a necessarily good or bad thing), so you're mostly going to get opinions from that end of the political spectrum.

I personally maintain a libertarian ideology, but I am not particularly interested in social issues. For that reason, I generally lean right. From my perspective, both are bad and maintain flawed political ideals.

The economic ideals of the far left terrify me and are far too idealistic to work in practice, but I also concede that the inherent social restrictions fostered by conservatives are way off base as well.

I'm pretty sure that most people do not subscribe to either political extremity, so comparing the two might not give the most insightful discussion here.

See I feel similarly to you except that I lean left, not right.

I happen to live in an insanely conservative area so hey any change in perspective is good. I figured most of UG would be liberal but it doesn't hurt to ask.

And you say that most people don't subscribe to either political extremity, but I dunno about that. From my perspective, both the left and the right are starting to go so far from center that finding a moderate on either side is rare. I imagine most of my family sees me as a somewhat extreme liberal. I'm sure most of UG sees all conservatives as far right.

Maybe that's just what I see and am exposed to, but I don't know. My concern with politics is that there is such a common theme of "YOU'RE EITHER WITH ME OR AGAINST ME" that makes it very difficult for people to find common ground.
Quote by bradulator

This!!! The self-congratulatory nature of many liberals makes me furious. The sheer smugness of people like this cunt in the article makes me want to puke. Like, really bitch? Get a fucking life!
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Quote by Shotgunmerc
See I feel similarly to you except that I lean left, not right.

I happen to live in an insanely conservative area so hey any change in perspective is good. I figured most of UG would be liberal but it doesn't hurt to ask.

And you say that most people don't subscribe to either political extremity, but I dunno about that. From my perspective, both the left and the right are starting to go so far from center that finding a moderate on either side is rare. I imagine most of my family sees me as a somewhat extreme liberal. I'm sure most of UG sees all conservatives as far right.

Maybe that's just what I see and am exposed to, but I don't know. My concern with politics is that there is such a common theme of "YOU'RE EITHER WITH ME OR AGAINST ME" that makes it very difficult for people to find common ground.

I absolutely agree with your last point. American politics has taken bipartisanship to a level of complete political division. It seems that it has become more about political affiliation than personal ideals, so this "common theme" that you mentioned is certainly pervasive in modern culture.

I'm not sure if it's that people are increasingly leaning more toward the political extremities so much as it is contrived political segregation that creates this illusion of "far left vs. far right." That's just my opinion though. I do 100% agree with your observation about the current state of American bipartisanship, and I do agree that it is a pretty big issue.
Quote by Mrs. O
People nowadays are too partisan and too divided, somebody call the newspapers with these insights.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by SFosterS
This!!! The self-congratulatory nature of many liberals makes me furious. The sheer smugness of people like this cunt in the article makes me want to puke. Like, really bitch? Get a fucking life!

Quote by Mrs. O
I disagree that most people here are liberals.
Maybe 90s style liberals.
Or liberal in the literal sense of the word.
A lot of people here are musicians and musicians are notoriously even keeled or "cool" so to speak.

Today both liberal and conservatives are equally aggressive and oppressive with their missions to make things how they want them to be.
There would be a lot more hatred and shit talking here if there were actually a lot of people that were entrenched in one of those political gangs.
I sometimes think (and hope) that people who say things this dumb are merely projecting their ultra-conservative upbringing by completely overcompensating for it. At least then their motives for saying such stupid shit would be explainable and understandable.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 27, 2015,
Look how she shifted in her seat and organized her papers while she worked up her indignation. You can actually watch her decide to get offended in real time.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I sometimes think (and hope) that people who say things this dumb are merely projecting their ultra-conservative upbringing by completely overcompensating for it. At least then their motives for saying such stupid shit would be explainable and understandable.

Pretty sure it's because $$$$$$$$$$$$

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by StewieSwan
I offer now as the time for the libs of UG to make fun of the "PC run amok!" comments.

don't have it in me anymore
Quote by ErikLensherr
People nowadays are too partisan and too divided, somebody call the newspapers with these insights.

To be fair, I feel like those points aren't made enough by the right people. You only hear about politicians being too partisan if it's in this context:

Obama: "House republicans are too partisan, we need to work together to find a middle ground."

Paul Ryan: "Obama is too liberal, he needs to work with us to find a middle ground."

More people need to stand up and say that this is occurring as opposed to one side accusing the other of being too partisan because both sides are guilty
This woman should be forced in to slavery as punishment for being so stupid
I have nothing important to say
Page 1 of 3