I recently got into The Misfits and stuff.

I started thinking about sponsorships, and how bands benefit from them, but I guess that would be a bad move for punk bands.

Do you know any punk bands with sponsorships (that don't completely ruin the band's street cred)?

Bonus question: Regardless of the genre you play, how would you get a sponsorship without looking like you work for the company (a.k.a. looking like a sellout)?

Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Oct 28, 2015,

But imo TV ads are a cool thing to do and bands aren't sellouts for it, I'm talking about brand logos and stuff like that on tours.

(I guess a punk guy doing comercials is selling out a bit... but the ad was cool)
John Lydon never sold out. he was always in it for the money.

i can't think of a single punk band i listen to that has any kind of sponsorship. it's less to do with the whole "not selling out" thing and more to do with the fact that the bands aren't popular enough to be a good marketing tool for a company.

and i'm pretty sure a lot of the bands i listen to would have no problem "selling out" for something reasonable if it meant they could quit their day jobs.

apparently Night Birds actually had MTV steal a song of theirs for a surfing video. they really didn't care who was using the song as long as they were getting paid for it. MTV of course decided to just take the song out. scumbags actually acted like they were doing them a favor.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
You mean like having to ditch the between songs banter for "this next song brought to you by our sponsor, Blandco, the African warlord's brand of choice for landmines and testicle electrodes!", or like a gear endorsement?
^ Oi!

Quote by slapsymcdougal
You mean like having to ditch the between songs banter for "this next song brought to you by our sponsor, Blandco, the African warlord's brand of choice for landmines and testicle electrodes!", or like a gear endorsement?
I don't really know how sponsorships work tbh, but the idea I have of it is you have to put their logo on banners and stuff when you're touring, and also constantly use their products and say "Hey this is ", and this includes hats and beer and other silly stuff, depending on the company sponsoring you. Right?
There's actually a well-known punk band from my country that recently started up a crowdfunding project to record their new album in California with some renowned producer. They want their fans to give them half-a-million korunas (which is something over 20 000 $ and that's huge for local eastern European terms) while offering rewards like "chill with the band's bagpipe player in his house in Sri Lanka if you give us 10 000" or "party with us if you give us 5000" etc. This has started up a discussion if this still right or not. It's not exactly sponsorship, but I think this band already has several sponsors like Jägermeister or such, but still prides themselves to be "punk".
i mean depending upon how "true punk" yr. being, there is the whole "VANS warped tour" ensemble, but that shit is corny as hell.
i remember reading the liner notes to a rise against cd -- when i was into that stuff -- and they listed like all the brands they played/wore -- real punk, guys, stick it to the man.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
John Lydon never sold out. he was always in it for the money.

it is really funny to me that anyone ever took the sex pistols or their "ethos" seriously -- you know i think the whole sid vicious disaster obscures the fact that the whole "johnny rotten" persona was just that. not that that necessarily makes him a more genuine or likable human being, but you gotta respect the metal box at least.
apparently Night Birds actually had MTV steal a song of theirs for a surfing video. they really didn't care who was using the song as long as they were getting paid for it. MTV of course decided to just take the song out. scumbags actually acted like they were doing them a favor.

damn. i hope watt & hurley were makin' bank from jackass, wonder how that works though, 'cuz SST notoriously does not pay royalties.
^ That reminds me...

I've been noticing how the rap/hip-hop world is engrained in almost everything today, and

the biggest thing that makes me hate the whole rap/hip-hop scene is the people, they look and sound so entitled. They talk and move like they own everything, and I've noticed how most metal bands nowadays are like that. They take the clothing and the despicable attitude and add the BR00TALZ on top, and I fucking hate it.
/rant

How is this related to the post above? The Vans Warped Tour gives me that vibe (I don't know much about it, so I'm not dissing it, but it triggered this rant)
I was just talking to this dumbass who fronted some shit metal band the other day and he referred to this chick that he slept with as a 'groupie' when his band had like 150 likes on fb. What an idiot lmao
Quote by Minicaxotinho
^ Oi!

I don't really know how sponsorships work tbh, but the idea I have of it is you have to put their logo on banners and stuff when you're touring, and also constantly use their products and say "Hey this is ", and this includes hats and beer and other silly stuff, depending on the company sponsoring you. Right?

So, doing the Vans Warped Tour, then?
Quote by whywefight
I was just talking to this dumbass who fronted some shit metal band the other day and he referred to this chick that he slept with as a 'groupie' when his band had like 150 likes on fb. What an idiot lmao

I mean, isn't that pretty much considered a groupie? She wanted to fuck some dipshit in the band, if that guy had no affiliation with that band she probably wouldn't give the guy the time of day.
Quote by Minicaxotinho
I'm starting to dislike Vans Warped Tour without even knowing what it's about.

As far as I can tell, it's about promoting overpriced uncomfortable shoes.
Quote by Minicaxotinho
I'm starting to dislike Vans Warped Tour without even knowing what it's about.

All I know is that my cousin fronts one of the groups
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by slapsymcdougal
As far as I can tell, it's about promoting overpriced uncomfortable shoes.

the pair i'm wearing right now is the most comfortable pair of shoes ever.

they're 5 years old though and i just had to fill in some holes with shoe goo.

every new pair of vans i've bought since have been terrible. hence still wearing 5 year old shoes with holes in them.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug