I'm tempted by the idea of putting a pickguard on my MIJ DK2M to make it look more unique.

I think a black pickguard would look awesome on a guitar like this. What do you guys think?

Problem is, even if I do decide to commit, who on Earth sells pickguards that'll perfectly fit this guitar?

. Guitar is 7/8ths the size of a Strat body, so Strat pickguards will not fit
. Has a lower horn cutaway w/ elongated horns, so San Dimas guards will not fit
. Needs a Floyd cutout
. 2H with the neck humbucker being in a non-standard position (closer to the bridge than is typical)
. Switch and volume knobs in non-standard positions

Does anyone know where I can buy one, or would I have to make one from scratch?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I think the white with black guard is a classy look. I don't know of any company you could look into though. You may need to custom cut one yourself.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
It would become kinda like a San Dimas, but with sharkfin inlays and the Jackson pointy headstock. Looks pretty neat in my head.

Don't they have anything at Warmoth? If not, I can't think of other company that may sell them. You'd probably have to cut one yourself.
Last edited by DanyFS at Oct 28, 2015,
There are companies that do make custom pickguards- Greasy Groove is one. Warmoth and WDMusic should do likewise.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 28, 2015,
I like it. It would remind me of a Charvel.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Did you give a thought to DIY design?
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."
Quote by dannyalcatraz
There are companies that do make custom pickguards- Greasy Groove is one. Warmoth and WDMusic should do likewise.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Some of them are close, but they're just not the right proportions for what I need. All the Strat ones are cut for the shorter lower horn that Strats all have, which would look really strange on a Dinky. Not to mention that the holes for the knobs and the switch are all in the wrong place.

Looks like I would have to take an acrylic sheet and cut one out myself, but I don't have any of the tools to do that.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 28, 2015,
You misunderstand- GG and WDMusic will do actual custom pickguards based on your supplied measurements. I almost used them on a custom guitar design, but the luthier & I decided to go with the look of the natural wood instead.

Here's what WDM says:
IMPORTANT - READ THIS FIRST: Guitar companies often modify existing models without changing the model name or number. Some manufacturers may have 10 instrument models that appear the same but will not fit properly to another model type they manufacture. When you receive your guard you should dry-fit it first before peeling the protective coating, installing parts on it or installing it on your instrument. Pick guards must be returned in the EXACT condition they were shipped to you in. Altered guards are non-returnable so please put the razor knife, file or sandpaper down! ANY REISSUE options are for U.S. manufacture unless otherwise noted in descriptions or drop down boxes. If you don’t see the EXACT guard you are looking for here that doesn’t mean we can’t make it. It just means you need to call 877-WDMUSIC or email productinfo@wdmusic.com OR custompickguards@wdmusic.com and communicate with a real human being. We can make a "standard" pickguard with any combination of pickups and controls for a reasonable upcharge and all pickguards are available in left handed models by using the drop down box menus.

Think you can’t get it or can’t get it in the material you want? With the exception of some of the graphic material designs made in specific size blanks, all of our materials listed can be used to make the different manufacturers templates on our website as well as custom designs.

Custom pickguards are our specialty. Follow the instructions for making a correct tracing or drawing of what you envision or have and we will make it happen. And you will be amazed.

(Emphasis mine.)

And GG says:
Any pickguard style which does not currently exist in our profiles library will require communication with our senior designer. Any graphic you can think of can be applied to a custom pickguard design. We can take your graphic and put it on the pickguard profile of your choice - send us your custom requests - Our custom shop is here to help you.
Click here to view the price list for profile creation and graphic design services.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 28, 2015,
I have that exact same guitar and I would never dream of defacing it in such a way. It's perfect the way it is!

If I had to do something like that, I'd probably have a go myself - but then as you say, not having tools (yet) makes that a pricier option.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
You misunderstand- GG and WDMusic will do actual custom pickguards based on your supplied measurements. I almost used them on a custom guitar design, but the luthier & I decided to go with the look of the natural wood instead.

Oh I see. I've been looking at the wrong part of the websites.

Thanks!
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
I have that exact same guitar and I would never dream of defacing it in such a way. It's perfect the way it is!

The Adrian Smith Dinky pulls it off really well, but that's just me.

I really like how the guitar looks as of the present, I just thought I might look into doing something a bit different.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Oh I see. I've been looking at the wrong part of the websites.

Thanks!

Glad to help!

If you do it, be sure to post the results.

If I were going this route, I'd try something beyond basic black. Maybe something with a subtle pattern...

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Glad to help!

If I were going this route, I'd try something beyond basic black. Maybe something with a subtle pattern...

Any pattern as long as it's not leopard print. Ugh. Can't remember what guitar I saw it on but it made it look like some hair metal dude's sweaty leotard.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

The Adrian Smith Dinky pulls it off really well, but that's just me.

I really like how the guitar looks as of the present, I just thought I might look into doing something a bit different.

I've got nothing against the Adrian Smith and the So-Cal, I love both of them. But they're both a full strat body, which suits the pickguard. I'm not much of a fan of pickguards on the sleeker superstrat bodies - some of the ones on Ibanez RGs to mind. But hey, it's your guitar!
Quote by drunkseph
Did you give a thought to DIY design?

I'm a budding product design engineer and I do my own stunts, so technically yes.

I've done many mods to this guitar. I've put in a Schaller-made Floyd with a brass big block, trem stopper, allen key holder and the tone control that has TEH KOIL TAPZ.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Glad to help!

If I were to do it, I'd rather keep the guitar's theme metal-oriented, so black is always a safe option.

Maybe get one with naked ladies wielding AK-47's on it. That's pretty metal.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
I've got nothing against the Adrian Smith and the So-Cal, I love both of them. But they're both a full strat body, which suits the pickguard. I'm not much of a fan of pickguards on the sleeker superstrat bodies - some of the ones on Ibanez RGs to mind. But hey, it's your guitar!

Fair enough. It's just an idea in my head that I thought would be pretty cool and nobody has really done it to a Dinky before.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I said SUBTLE!

I meant like maybe a tone on tone thing...like...black with charcoal or dove grey pinstriping.

You can make them with a few simple hand tools - a drill, coping saw and file, plus some some abrasive paper and suitably shaped sanding blocks. The hard work is in polishing the edges, but if you are willing to have just a neat sanded finish, the rest isn't too arduous.
I was going to do this to my RG, but realized I liked the quilted top too much. So instead I switched the knobs, the selector switch cover and the trim to match the binding.
Cry yourself to ash