Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone!

Ive player acoustic for a year or so and now im turning more towards electric guitar.
So i bought the Slash AFD package with guitar and amp.
I also have bought a BOSS distortion pedal.

Im playing almost only GnR / Slash songs and now im wondering.

Can you help me how to configure to get the right sound ( as close as possible i mean )
For the following songs.

Knockin on heavens door,
Clean part and dist part aswell as solos.

Sweet Child o mine,
Intro/verse

November Rain
Verse and solo

I know im asking for much but i dont know where else to turn.
Also i know its hard to get the exact sound but to get as close as possible, i mean how should i configure gain/treble/mid/bass on my amp and what effect pedals do i need?

Many thanks to the one who can help me!
Honestly, those starter packs are simply that - starter packs. They are intended to get you used to the feeling of an instrument and be passable as far as making some noise to hear yourself. If you're just on some experimental whim with electric instruments, that kit will serve you fine. They are not intended to be anything other than that - starter/beginner/practice gear. Copping a passable GnR tone from that kit is going to be an exercise in futility.

Best I can tell you is do what all folks do with any amp - start with all the knobs set at noon and make small adjustments until you are happy. Other bits of important information are: don't crank the gain to 10, and don't scoop the mids to 0. Those are rookie mistakes.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Honestly, those starter packs are simply that - starter packs. They are intended to get you used to the feeling of an instrument and be passable as far as making some noise to hear yourself. If you're just on some experimental whim with electric instruments, that kit will serve you fine. They are not intended to be anything other than that - starter/beginner/practice gear. Copping a passable GnR tone from that kit is going to be an exercise in futility.

Best I can tell you is do what all folks do with any amp - start with all the knobs set at noon and make small adjustments until you are happy. Other bits of important information are: don't crank the gain to 10, and don't scoop the mids to 0. Those are rookie mistakes.

this is it in a nut shell. guys with far better gear still have a tough time trying to duplicate slash (or any number of other guitar heroes). your best bet is to experiment with the gear you have and see what sounds good to you. you'll learn a fair bit by doing that. yes it will take some time but in the long run will be worth it.

sadly this is the bad part of starter packs like the one you have. guys get it expecting to sound like slash and are sorely disappointed. keep in mind that not one thing in it is actually what slash uses (or even all that close).
I know Slash uses totally different rigg so i know i cant duplicate the sound.
However i must be able to get a tone thats similiar to the ones in the song ive written?
But my question is, how do i exactly tune in on my amp and what effect pedals do i need to get close to the sound of the songs ive written down?
If you've gotten the tone already then what more do you want? However, on the intro of Sweet Child O' Mine use the neck pickup. That's on a guitar with a good neck pickup though, the stock ones will probably be insanely muddy. When you can, buy an Epi LP Standard or something and throw Slash's sig pickups in it if you want to get closer.

Make sure to get a decent amp too, pedals and pickups have nothing on a good amp! Research what amps Slash has used and buy an amp similar to it.
Baby Joel's rabbit profile picture is kinda cute. #TeamJOEL
Last edited by PiercedBand at Oct 28, 2015,
start with all the eq knobs at 12 o'clock and add or take away one at a time until you are happy with the sound.

You will have a really hard time getting anywhere near Slash's tone with your amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'll try and mix it up myself then.
Another question, the multieffect pedal: KORG ax30g , is it something worth buying to get effects used in gnr songs? Like in the sweet child solo slash uses wah effect, would this multieffect pedal be "ok" to use for this and other effects wanted like delay, reverb etc?
Quote by nicklaspetrel
I'll try and mix it up myself then.
Another question, the multieffect pedal: KORG ax30g , is it something worth buying to get effects used in gnr songs? Like in the sweet child solo slash uses wah effect, would this multieffect pedal be "ok" to use for this and other effects wanted like delay, reverb etc?

you'd be way better off spending the money on a better amp. a Peavey vypyr series amp woud get you better tone and have the fx built in as well. as for a wha the ones that are in multi-fx units often suck balls. that is one effect that you would be far better off actually buying.
Quote by Tony Done
How much of the sound you hear from someone like Slash is in the volume and recording, that hard to reproduce in a amateur home studio or garage band environment?

that's true of any pro recorded tones. often the missing element isn't that actual gear but rather studio magic. even the tones i get in my own recordings i have a tough time duplicating live.
Quote by monwobobbo
you'd be way better off spending the money on a better amp. a Peavey vypyr series amp woud get you better tone and have the fx built in as well. as for a wha the ones that are in multi-fx units often suck balls. that is one effect that you would be far better off actually buying.

Witch one of the peaveys would you recommend ?
Its for home usage so nothing big needed but i still want something that can help me produce a good tone along with fx such as reverb and maybe other fx ?
Quote by nicklaspetrel
Its for home usage so nothing big needed but i still want something that can help me produce a good tone along with fx such as reverb and maybe other fx ?

You should look for a used Peavey Vypyr 30. One of the best practice amps around and they are very cheap, provided you buy used.
Quote by DanyFS
You should look for a used Peavey Vypyr 30. One of the best practice amps around and they are very cheap, provided you buy used.

Alright would you reckon i can get a much closer "slash" sound using an amp like that then the one that came in the Slash AFD package ( epiphone amp ) ?

Or should i straight away buy a marshall amp that i can use for practice ?
Quote by nicklaspetrel
Alright would you reckon i can get a much closer "slash" sound using an amp like that then the one that came in the Slash AFD package ( epiphone amp ) ?

Or should i straight away buy a marshall amp that i can use for practice ?

The peavey Vypyr with a 12" speaker would be a decent cheap amp to start on.

The cheap Marshall amps pretty much suck unfortunately you'll have to spend $500ish on average in the used market to get a decent Marshall combo.

There are some companies like Jet City that make small tube combos that would work great and they are decently priced new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The peavey Vypyr with a 12" speaker would be a decent cheap amp to start on.

The cheap Marshall amps pretty much suck unfortunately you'll have to spend $500ish on average in the used market to get a decent Marshall combo.

There are some companies like Jet City that make small tube combos that would work great and they are decently priced new.

+1

Jet City amps are very affordable and good, considering their price. The cheap Marshalls suck.

TS, the Peavey or a Jet City would definitely sound better than the amp that came with your package.
Last edited by DanyFS at Oct 29, 2015,
Quote by nicklaspetrel

yeah the Peavey Vypyr 30 or the newer version which is a VIP 2 (i think) will get you headed in the right direction. as for theMarshall well i'd wait til i had more playing time in and then save for something like that. i think that a modeling amp like the vypyr will offere you a chance to explore various tones and give you some fx to tinker with. once you have a better handle on it then you can move on to something like a Marshall or teh Jet City mentioned. with those you'll need to buy fx so a little experience will help you in that dept.
i guess the best best for a great tone is to get a new amp first, 70% of your tone come from the amp. im with the other on the peavey vypyr i have a vip2 as a pratice amp at home and i can get great tone out of it. the vypyr are great amp for beginner since you have a lot of amp modeling to get a lot of different tone and the effects are included in the amp. pretty much a cost effective solution comparing to a amps + effects pedals/multi-effects and so more if you buy a used vypyr
stay away from the line 6 spiders.

vypyr would be a better bet.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
if you can spend the extra money, I highly advise you get one of the vypyrs that hs a 12" speaker, they sound much better than the smaller speakers in some versions like the Vypyr 15
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by nicklaspetrel
Okey cause the Line 6 just costs 40 euro but maybe its not worth it then?

Otherwise, is this the peavey vypyr is should buy ?
http://www.blocket.se/goteborg/El_gitarr_med_peavy_forstarkare_63469248.htm?ca=16&w=2

Forget about the guitar

The Line 6 Spyders are probably one of the worst amps ever made. Avoid them like the plague.

Quote by Robbgnarly
if you can spend the extra money, I highly advise you get one of the vypyrs that hs a 12" speaker, they sound much better than the smaller speakers in some versions like the Vypyr 15

+1. Try to get the Vypyrs that have the 12" speaker. The Vypyr 30 has a 12" speaker I believe.

The Vypyr that you posted first is 100w. It might be a bit overkill in my opinion, but you're the one who decides after all. See if you can find a Vypyr 30. It has a 12" speaker, great for home use and it will sound much better than the Vypyr 15 which only has a 8" speaker.
Last edited by DanyFS at Nov 8, 2015,
Yeah the vypyr 30 has a 12" speaker, and you can get them for $80 used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by nicklaspetrel

As far as I know, they are discontinued. Only the Vypyr VIP series are available for sale now. The Vypyr 15, 30, 75, 100, etc, are only available used.

Yes, that is the one. Doesn't seems like a good deal though. 1701 krona is like 180 euros. The Vypyr 30 usually runs around 80-100 euros used (749-937 krona).

Then again, I don't know if it's normal for Sweden to have higher prices. It might be a good deal in Sweden, but if it was for example in Portugal (where I live), it wouldn't be a good deal. I've seen the Vypyr 30 run as low as 75 euros here.
Last edited by DanyFS at Nov 8, 2015,
Quote by DanyFS
As far as I know, they are discontinued. Only the Vypyr VIP series are available for sale now. The Vypyr 15, 30, 75, 100, etc, are only available used.

Yes, that is the one. Doesn't seems like a good deal though. 1701 krona is like 180 euros. The Vypyr 30 usually runs around 80-100 euros used (749-937 krona).

Then again, I don't know if it's normal for Sweden to have higher prices. It might be a good deal in Sweden, but if it was for example in Portugal (where I live), it wouldn't be a good deal. I've seen the Vypyr 30 run as low as 75 euros here.

I think thats the price for it when it was new, not used.
Its quite hard finding a used one ive noticed, looked around but cannot find it :/

But now i know what i need so let the search begin
Quote by nicklaspetrel
I think thats the price for it when it was new, not used.
Its quite hard finding a used one ive noticed, looked around but cannot find it :/

But now i know what i need so let the search begin

If you need anything else, let us know! Just remember, avoid anything that has Line 6 Spyder in its name
Quote by DanyFS
If you need anything else, let us know! Just remember, avoid anything that has Line 6 Spyder in its name

Not true, the old Spider Valve amps are pretty nice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Not true, the old Spider Valve amps are pretty nice

Wasn't aware of the Spider valve amps. Thanks for the insight!
Quote by nicklaspetrel
Hi, im back again

Ive searched the internet for used Peavey Vypyrs but i cannot find anything here in sweden so i checked Ebay.

I know this aint 30 and 12" speaker but would this one do aswell for home usage only ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-VYPYR-15-Guitar-Amp-/201462925227?hash=item2ee82047ab:g:xdEAAOSwu-BWPYGm

yes it will work, but if you can find one with a 12" speaker get that one
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1 for the Vypyr 30, I have owned quite a few modeling amps and this is the best I have heard.

It's doing me very well while I save up for a valve amp.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by Rust_E_Stringz
also, just for your knowledge UG has a amp setting thread to take a look at as well.

Can you link me to that one ?
In Sweden you might look for a Laney Cub, Orange Tiny Terror, or jet City amp that will all get you into Slash tonal territory. Fairly low cost tube amps that sound really good.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by nicklaspetrel
Im having a hard time finding a Vypyr, seems noone is selling a used one ( maybe cause they are so good )

Is this a good amp?
http://www.ordermusic.se/sv/artiklar/spider-iv-30.html

As it was mentioned before, stay away from the Line 6 cheap solid state amps. They are awful...

About the settings thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688660

Don't trust it at 100%. You would have to have the exact same gear as the artists to get the same sound from the settings listed. You should trust your ear more. However, they are a good place to start, good for a little reference.
Don't bother with a tube amp. There's no difference between tube amps and regular ones; you just pay more to get a sound you could have gotten more cheaply with digital emulation. They're good for dick-sizing contests among guitar dweebs, but that's about it - and even then, such people aren't hard to fool if they can't see the amp (just record something with a tube sim onto a computer and play it for them while saying it was recorded analog from a tube amp - like shooting fish in a barrel).

Just get a reasonably priced modeling amp with some vintage settings. Be careful, though, since some of the settings on modeling amps and pedals are smokescreens, so you'll have to look at the manual to make sure that you're getting what you want (look for phrases such as "This sound is similar to" or "This sound is in the style of").
Last edited by Mythopoeios at Nov 19, 2015,
Page 1 of 2