Pretty much self explanatory. So what I've always been used to is 9's in standard E tuning. Yeah, yeah, get angry and strangle me with your 12 gauge manhands if you want to, it's just my preference. According to adjusting for tension and such I restrung my guitar with 11's (Ernie Ball extra beefy version at that) in C standard recently, being told that that's generally the ratio I want to follow to get a similar 9's in standard E feel for tension. I found it a little bit tight feeling, however. You know, with actually fretting the strings and whatever. I made sure the truss was ok, which it was, but I didn't really alter the action too much which could be where my problem lies.

SO, I was thinking, what if I tried out 10's in C standard? Anyone tried something similar? I know the strings will probably feel quite loose but I'm willing to try that out. Just as long as, objectively people that's the key word, it wouldn't feel stupidly unplayable. I've always wondered if I'd like the feel of ultra soft, low action playing. Whaddya think?

Neck scale length is 25.5"

Also, about you 12 gauge guys, you aight. I was just kidding around.

Seriously though, don't strangle me.
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Oct 28, 2015,
I think if you're using 10s you might want to at least use a 10-52 set. Worth a shot though.

I know when Josh Homme was tuning to C standard for Kyuss he said something along the lines of "Basically I tuned the strings down until they were basically unplayable, then tuned them back up a little."
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Have to make this question, did you stretch the strings properly?

11s shouldn't be that tight in C standard. Maybe try a different brand or go for the 10s. Experimenting to find out what works best for you is the key.
Quote by DanyFS
Have to make this question, did you stretch the strings properly?

11s shouldn't be that tight in C standard. Maybe try a different brand or go for the 10s. Experimenting to find out what works best for you is the key.

Bruh I was practically stretching the stings off the neck, lol. But srsly, I think that's the most I ever stretched a set of strings.
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
Bruh I was practically stretching the stings off the neck, lol. But srsly, I think that's the most I ever stretched a set of strings.

I don't know how long ago you changed them, but maybe let them settle in a bit more?

Aside from that, if you don't really feel comfortable with them, try another brand or a set of 10s or both as I said.

From personal experience, Daddarios regular 11s on C Standard worked well for me on my 25.5 scale guitar. Only had them once, but no problems with the tension whatsoever.
Yeah, the only problem is the subjectivity of the matter. But then again that goes for a hell of a lot of guitar topics.
Quote by Tony Done
11s in C standard would have about the same feels as 9s in E standard.

this seems about right. 10s may work but in a band situation you may find yourself having to retune more than you should.

oh and i've been using .09s for the last 35 years on most of my guitars, no shame there.
I drop C and use both 11's and the 10-52's ...... the 10-52's are probably my favorite but both are fine
Quote by monwobobbo
this seems about right. 10s may work but in a band situation you may find yourself having to retune more than you should.

oh and i've been using .09s for the last 35 years on most of my guitars, no shame there.
I wish to high five your skeletal, bony hand with mine. Sorry, that got unneccessarily creepy.

It's actually fine tuning wise given that if I decide to stay in C standard I'll just use the floyd rose locking on my guitar.
Generally it should work, although a) it may sound a little thin, b) fret buzz will say hello more than usual, c) likely to get out of tune more easily, especially if picking hard.

It's all preference, you always have the case of Tony Iommi using absurdly thin strings and still tuning down in case of doubt whether it can be done
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
I imagine you would end up with action so high that the guitar wouldn't be fun to play at all, unless you go with 52s like others suggested.
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
I wish to high five your skeletal, bony hand with mine. Sorry, that got unneccessarily creepy.

It's actually fine tuning wise given that if I decide to stay in C standard I'll just use the floyd rose locking on my guitar.

no problem from a fellow scotsman
Quote by TheLiberation
Generally it should work, although a) it may sound a little thin, b) fret buzz will say hello more than usual, c) likely to get out of tune more easily, especially if picking hard.

It's all preference, you always have the case of Tony Iommi using absurdly thin strings and still tuning down in case of doubt whether it can be done

Hell, I use 12-60 and wanna go bigger because it buzzes in C and B standard.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I use 10s for C# and 11s for C with a 24.75" scale and .11s for B on a 26.5" scale. They’re like spaghetti, but it makes bending easy, which helps prevent RSIs when I practice the same song over and over. I do have to raise the action a little or some notes will fret out.