So I have this Squier Showmaster, my first guitar, and basically wondered if it's worth tinkering with. New pickups are the primary thing I'm thinking of here.

Some pictures:

Thoughts as to what the pickups might be, and styles of music - I was thinking Seymour Duncans probably - a JB in the bridge and Lil 59/Hot Rails for the singles? Or something along those lines. I think I'd prefer passives, and I'm welcome to other suggestions . In terms of music styles, anything from Manchester Orchestra to Slipknot, Mastodon and other heavy things, and I'm playing into a Blackstar HT-5 stack with a Metal Muff for the insane gainy stuff and eventually probably a Soul Food / Tone City Dry Martini OD.

I appreciate any comments - cheers!
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
do-able? certainly. worth it? that's really up to you.

fwiw, for the money you're thinking about putting into it you might be able to score something used that has nearly the same or better spec.

entirely up to you though.
Last edited by ad_works at Oct 28, 2015,
Quote by ad_works
do-able? certainly. worth it? that's really up to you.

fwiw, for the money you're thinking about putting into it you might be able to score something used that has nearly the same or better spec.

entirely up to you though.

I hadn't really thought of it like that - I guess it would be a gradual process probably starting with the JB in the bridge, but you are right that I'd probably be able to pick up something used with similar specs for perhaps just a little more money.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
If I liked the guitar I would upgrade the pickups. But you have to know what is wrong with the old ones and what you can do to improve on them. Also, you have to recognise that you wouldn't recover the modding cost on resale.

The problem I see with trading it on a new guitar as ad_works suggests is that there is a good chance that you will end up with a prettier guitar with not much improvement in tone potential. - But I see electric guitars as nothing more than lumps of wood that hold pickups.

I can't help much with pickups for that style of music, but JBs get mixed reports. Some like them, other don't - including me. - Too muddy in the guitar in which I tried it. Hot ceramics might be good for the single, dunno, just guessing based on the pickups in my very cheap Peavey.
Quote by Tony Done

The problem I see with trading it on a new guitar as ad_works suggests is that there is a good chance that you will end up with a prettier guitar with not much improvement in tone potential. - But I see electric guitars as nothing more than lumps of wood that hold pickups.

nope. didn't say anything about trading it on a new guitar. i suggested a "possibility for consideration" to keep the squire and buy another guitar. a used guitar.
if you like the sound of the guitar acoustically the skys the limit. Expensive or cheap guitars you end up liking stuff and we have to remember that there is more than the price tag we paid. It's how we work with the guitar getting a sound .. and any expensive part can go on something else as it's a squier strat not something obscure like a lyra or lyro guitar from the 60s.

but don't stop at pickups, so many stop there , it's to the point i get a guitar i try different string materials, picks , better tuners , nuts are a must, polish the frets if they are dull and a new bridge is a must.

I like the showmasters myself my friends got a fender one from Korea which is set neck with two seymour duncan humbuckers and a super 5 way blade. Only thing that sucks about it is that it's basswood for the body and I hate basswood.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Oct 28, 2015,
My bad, I had assumed you meant trade-in. I still wouldn't get a second guitar just because the first one isn't quite right. I would fix the first one, or trade it on something I thought was worth fixing up. Another option is to take it down to the music shop and actually compare it with a few possibles.
To me a guitar is a personal thing, and a musical instrument. I totally do not care about resale (mostly because I keep them all anyway).

If the neck is stable and it plays and sets up well, and the body style is comfortable then I would suggest you go for whatever R&D you feel like trying. New pups are not so expensive that you cannot have some enjoyment with it, and if you learn to do quality work then you can apply those skills to more valuable instruments going forward.

The Showmasters were actually a very good product in the Squier line, and although yours isn't one of the higher end models, it's easily the equal of a good Mexi-strat. (22 frets, 2 point trem etc..)

The only problem with them is the "Squier" on the headstock.

As a resale item they aren't worth much, but if you like it and the way it plays there's no reason at all not to change the pickups and get the tone you want out of it.

I recently traded away a 24 fret, 2 point Showmaster that was similar to yours and it was an exceptional guitar.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Depends on the kind of music, but I like the JB in the bridge, and a Cool Rails or Lil-59 in the neck. Put a Vintage Rails in the middle for one really versatile guitar.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
I'd say, get new tuners, get a new bridge, throw out all the electronics and pickups, put in a cool bridge pickup, a volumepot and an output jack, then remplace the new and set it up nicely. Doesn't have to cost you a lot