Hello all, I play mostly classic rock and some hard rock. I'm looking for a tube amp for practice and some writing too. Here's what I am looking for.

• 20 watts or less
• 2 channel
• prefer a headphone jack
• $700 or less

I have been racking my brain doing research and have not come to a conclusion. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
Why do you need two channels for classic and hard rock? You could get a killer amp for under $700 for those genres, but most of those guys used single channel amps, and that is the way to go IMO.
Laney VC30-112

But no headphone
Guitars:___________________________
'12 Gibson 1958 Standard Reissue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 LTD MH-1000FR STBLK
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM

Amp:__________
Laney IRT Studio

Guitar Effects:_____________________
Boss GT-8 Guitar Multi Effects Processor
Dunlop Original CryBaby Wah
TC Electronic FlashBack Delay
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
JHS Little Black Amp Box
You can get a 20watt Krank 1980II Jr amp for $399 new right now factory direct. And they are made in USA.

These are 2 channel hot rod marshall style amps (I have the original 1980Jr). The cleans are pretty nice and the dirty channel is really nice. You can boost it with an OD to get into more modern styles, but it was designed to sound like the modded Marshall amps of the 1980's.

Then find yourself a decent 1x12 cab and you will have a really nice rig
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The laney Ironheart IRT studio is tube with headphones if you go down the laney route. Similar wattage to what you want. I'd imagine you'd get it for a bit over $600 but the only problem is it's a head so you'd need a cabinet, which I don't think you'll get on top without going over $700. For a 1x12 I'd imagine you'd end up around $800.
Quote by KailM
^^Maybe because classic and hard rock use a lot of cleans in addition to overdrive tones???

TS, how important is the headphone jack capability? Because most tube amps do not have that option...

And there are many, many rock guitarists who achieved wonderful clean tones without the need for an extra "clean"channel.
Quote by patriotplayer90
And there are many, many rock guitarists who achieved wonderful clean tones without the need for an extra "clean"channel.

These people also run 2 (if not more) amps. One clean, one dirty
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
These people also run 2 (if not more) amps. One clean, one dirty

I wouldn't say that is really applicable, since guitarists from all genres use multiple amps. Some out of necessity, some just because they can. Plenty have gotten by with just one.

I like the Krank suggestion if you are set on 2 channels.
Quote by patriotplayer90
I wouldn't say that is really applicable, since guitarists from all genres use multiple amps. Some out of necessity, some just because they can. Plenty have gotten by with just one.

I like the Krank suggestion if you are set on 2 channels.

Yes, that is true.

It's also entirely immaterial. The OP didn't ask how others did it, he specifically asked for a 2 channel amp that met his other stated requirements.

So if it makes you happy, you are correct.

You're just not relevant...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Yes, that is true.

It's also entirely immaterial. The OP didn't ask how others did it, he specifically asked for a 2 channel amp that met his other stated requirements.

So if it makes you happy, you are correct.

You're just not relevant...

I'm trying to be helpful to the OP, I could care less about winning an argument with a stranger. If he's set on two channels, then that's fine. I was just going to let him know why a single channel amp might fit better for that sound.
Quote by patriotplayer90

Sure. But I'd venture to say there's a great many more who rely on TWO or more channels.

What's easier -- to get an amp to go from pristine clean all the way to searing high-gain all in one channel by manipulating the guitar volume knob?

Or hitting a button that immediately toggles between independently-EQ'd cleans to roaring high-gain?

We both know the answer to that question.
Quote by KailM
Sure. But I'd venture to say there's a great many more who rely on TWO or more channels.

What's easier -- to get an amp to go from pristine clean all the way to searing high-gain all in one channel by manipulating the guitar volume knob?

Or hitting a button that immediately toggles between independently-EQ'd cleans to roaring high-gain?

We both know the answer to that question.

Because classic rock is all about searing high-gain and pristine cleans.
Thanks all for the responses. I don't really need two channels, I just hoped for it, I guess a single channel is good. After all I'm not playing live with this amp. I will check into Laney and Krank.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
Quote by patriotplayer90
Because classic rock is all about searing high-gain .

No it isn't Classic rock is low to mid-gain. hell most 1980's metal is not really high-gain (well maybe for the time, but as of 1990's standards and beyond they are not
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Picksqueal72
Thanks all for the responses. I don't really need two channels, I just hoped for it, I guess a single channel is good. After all I'm not playing live with this amp. I will check into Laney and Krank.

Check out the Orange Tiny Terror. Heck, you could get a used Fargen Miniplex that would be wonderful for classic and hard rock.

I'd ask over at the Marshall forums since many people there are into the type of music you play. I'm sure there are countless suggestions for your budget.
Quote by Robbgnarly
No it isn't Classic rock is low to mid-gain. hell most 1980's metal is not really high-gain (well maybe for the time, but as of 1990's standards and beyond they are not

right, that was sarcasm (see where that is mentioned in the comment that I quoted)

And you're right, it basically goes Crunch, less-crunchy/cleaner, and more Crunchy. All of that can be obtained with one channel and a volume knob.
Traynor YCV series
Peavey Classic
Fender HotRod (dependent on your pedals, if you have any, for heavier stuff)
Marshall DSL
Vox AC15
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Why 20W or less? Do you want the Power Tube distortion? That's still really loud for home applications.

You could go amp sim on the computer here for your writing for way under budget:

Decent Audio Interface - really whatever you want to spend from $20 - $2,000. . .
Amp Sim Software - start your quest with Peavey ReValver for the user interface alone. . . Just buy what you want - it's free to start.
Decent Monitors or headphones - which you will want anyway if you are recording. Try some Audio Technica ATH-M50X.

Or if you want a traditional amp what about a Peavey ValveKing? Maybe add a fuzz/overdrive/boost and you should be set. The new ValveKings have direct USB and other modern recording features.

Marshall DSL401C is also a good call here. Check out some Spawns - never had one but hear great things.

Peavey Windsor is basically a Marshall JCM800 clone and they are way under budget.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by patriotplayer90
Because classic rock is all about searing high-gain and pristine cleans.

TS said hard rock as well. That could mean pretty high gain. If I was playing a lot of hard rock that required medium to highish gain as well as cleans and effects, it sure as hell wouldn't be a single channel amp -- especially if it was my only amp ( which it sounds like TS is planning on).

We get it. Some very famous artists have used single- channel amps to great effect. But when we're talking blues all the way to hard rock it's expecting quite a lot to have a great clean tone that goes all the way to aggressive crunch just by turning up the guitar volume knob. Not sure why you're pushing the single-channel thing so hard...

The world I live in is full of amps with two channels that cover a wide range of tones at the tap of your foot. My question is, why not?

TS -- I'd highly recommend a Marshall DSl 40C or a Peavey Classic 30. Both would deliver everything you need, I'd think.
Quote by KailM
TS said hard rock as well. That could mean pretty high gain. If I was playing a lot of hard rock that required medium to highish gain as well as cleans and effects, it sure as hell wouldn't be a single channel amp -- especially if it was my only amp ( which it sounds like TS is planning on).

We get it. Some very famous artists have used single- channel amps to great effect. But when we're talking blues all the way to hard rock it's expecting quite a lot to have a great clean tone that goes all the way to aggressive crunch just by turning up the guitar volume knob. Not sure why you're pushing the single-channel thing so hard...

The world I live in is full of amps with two channels that cover a wide range of tones at the tap of your foot. My question is, why not?

TS -- I'd highly recommend a Marshall DSl 40C or a Peavey Classic 30. Both would deliver everything you need, I'd think.

Blues all the way to hard rock isn't really a stretch-I can do that easily with my 20 watt Jet City. And if I need to explain why a single channel amp sounds superior and is more sought after for classic and hard rock, then I'm wasting time.
Both the Peavey Classic 20 and Peavey 6505 Mini have headphone jacks. Both can do classic and hard rock.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Blues all the way to hard rock isn't really a stretch-I can do that easily with my 20 watt Jet City. And if I need to explain why a single channel amp sounds superior and is more sought after for classic and hard rock, then I'm wasting time.

Well it is obvious you really don't know. It is because most amp companies back then only made 1 channel amps. Yes there were amps that had more "channels", but they were not footswitchable either. And it is much easier to get a range of tones from a multi channel amp especially if you switch on the fly.

And no ones saying a single channel amp won't/can't work, but 2 channel amps are also more widely available than a single channel these days.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by patriotplayer90

One thing is certain indeed -- you are wasting your time. (And full of shit.)
Quote by patriotplayer90

And wasting ours, since that's an entirely subjective claim.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin