i have a Blackstar HT-5RH 5 Watt 2 Channel Tube Head and a blackstar HT408M 60W@8ohms 4x8'' Speaker Cabinet. yesterday i started to notice some weird sound coming out of the amp while it was distorted but did not think anything of it. Today i go to turn it on and the distortion did not work. i turn off the distortion and no sound comes out at all. no idea what to do. could the battery in my guitar be old? like there is a d volt or some shit should i replace that or is it the amp?
If you have another amp see if your guitar works with that. If not, guitar. If yes, amp. If amp, I don't have massive experience troubleshooting them. Wait for some old salty sea dog to come along and help :P
If you went from full sound to no sound at all, that's probably not the battery in your guitar. You would most likely notice less output over time with a drained battery. It shouldn't just go dead all of a sudden.

What did the "weird sound" sound like? Crackling? Jiggle the cord in your guitar's input jack, it could just be a bad jack. Other than that my guess is tubes, and since your overdrive was the first thing to go I would start with the preamp tube. If that doesn't fix it try a new power tube. If that doesn't fix it... time for a trip to the amp doctor.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
like a static sound i guess or feed back, it was pretty noticeable. do i buy new tubes or something? i've never had this happen to me before so idk what to even do lol.
Quote by gary78912
like a static sound i guess or feed back, it was pretty noticeable. do i buy new tubes or something? i've never had this happen to me before so idk what to even do lol.

Well from an "old salty sea dog"....
Troubleshooting is the one thing I am usually good at after doing it for most of my life.
But I'm not always right.
From that, its always best to check the easy stuff first.
So, check the battery in you guitar.
I don't know shit about active pickups so I don't know how they behave with low or dead batteries, but probably not to well.
So change that first.
Also, try both your guitar into another amp, and another guitar into your amp.

And that "static" sound, could be many things.
Check your guitar to amp cable.
Try different cables.
See if they feel snug when plugged in and if the jack they are plugged into doesn't feel loose.
At both the guitar and amp ends.

Distortion getting weird, could be preamp tubes going bad. But that depends on the type of distortion.
There are two ways to get distortion from your amp, pushing the preamp tubes, which is the way many prefer these days, and pushing the poweramp tubes, which is the "old school" way, and also the type of distortion you hear from classic rock type tones (and the type I myself prefer, being the old fart that I am ).

The "feedback" sound you describe could be a tube going microphonic, which is bad.
So if your battery is bad and a new one doesn't solve the issue, and other guitars plugged into your amp behave the same way, sounds like you need new tubes.
Probably preamp tubes.
Try swapping preamp tubes.
You could start by swapping the individual tubes with each other.
SAME TUBE TYPES ONLY, LIKE DON"T TRY TO CRAM A POWER AMP TUBE WHERE A PREAMP TUBE GOES!!!!
Swap the preamp tubes with each other.

But the best bet is to get a new set of tubes, if the other methods I described don't work.
I don't know your budget, and I know mine couldn't handle it right now (but I, luckily already have enough spare tubes to swap them all out, twice), but a new tube set is about $100, maybe more, maybe less depending on your amp.

I usually get my tube at eurotubes and have also bought from tubesandmore, also known as Antique Electronic Supply
You can buy full kits or individual tubes from either of these places.
And depending on your location, you might also be able to find tubes locally.

Also, you don't see them much anymore, but a small local music store nearby (if you consider 60+ miles nearby, and where I live, that's considered nearby) has/had a tube tester.
Some old school electronic repair shops may also have them.
But those places are more rare than shoe repair shops these days.
If you have a place that has a tube tester, it might be worth a visit, and you could learn something in the process.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Oct 29, 2015,
Since all your amp has is 1 ECC83 and 1 12BH7 tube, just change them both out and see what happens. You should have spares anyway so it's not like it's an unreasonable cost.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Process of elimination. Is it the...
Cord?
Battery?
Tubes?
Speaker?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
i tried different cords so i don't think that is the issue, i am going to try to get new batteries today and figure out where i can buy tubes on oahu. this also sucks because my leg is broken and i have to rely on other people for rides and stuff and everybody is busy so... lol
You can try replacing the battery, but if anything a low battery would cause a weaker output, not a stronger feedback or static (at least in my experience).

Based on your description of the sound I agree with CodeMonk that it seems like you might have a microphobic tube. I had the same thing happen in an amp I had a while ago. New tubes fixed it right away. Your amp only has 2 tubes, so it's an easy fix and not too expensive.
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by 57Goldtop
You can try replacing the battery, but if anything a low battery would cause a weaker output, not a stronger feedback or static (at least in my experience).

Based on your description of the sound I agree with CodeMonk that it seems like you might have a microphobic tube. I had the same thing happen in an amp I had a while ago. New tubes fixed it right away. Your amp only has 2 tubes, so it's an easy fix and not too expensive.

I hate it when my tubes are afraid of very small things...

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
is it hard to replace tubes? i suppose i can just youtube it. and its only the head part right? or is it the speaker
Ye sounds like what happened when the tubes on my amp, it's a pretty easy fix luckily
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Quote by Arby911
I hate it when my tubes are afraid of very small things...

Haha... stupid android phone autocorrect...
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2