Hi everybody! I was just seeing if anybody here could help me with a little problem that I've been having lately. I play with 12 gauge strings and I'm wondering if they could have something to do with my playing sounding sloppy. I've been trying to play more with distortion lately (not that I didn't play without it before, but let's just say the difference between a Blues Driver and a Tube Screamer). I can't seem to play fast and clean. When I switch to a different string other than the one I'm on, I get noise. Without even picking anything, I can almost play legato without even trying to pull off or hammer on. Does that make sense? I feel like I get way too much noise when I simply fret a note. I've been heavy on the metronome here lately (40 - 50bpm) and I can't figure anything out. Also, there is a rather harsh sound right before I pick ANY note. I feel like it's way too much pick noise for what it should be. I'm all out of options at this point and have no idea what to do. Any ideas??
Have you made sure your guitar is properly set-up for the new string gauge? Going up/down in gauges puts less/more strain on different parts of the guitar and you might need to set it up again.

I recently went up to 13's on my hollowbody, and i had to redo everything since the new gauge caused fretbuzz, intonation problems and so on (i play with very low action).

Other than the setup it shouldn't affect your playing.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
I have noticed it while playing 11's, 12's, 13's, and 14's. I'm not really sure what it is. My guitars are properly set up to play those gauges.
Honestly it sounds like an EQ/gain issue to me. Try messing with the treble and mids or adjusting the gain at different stages in your signal chain.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Well the higher the gain, the more critical your muting is and I think this is what you are discovering. Start concentrating on what is happening to the strings that aren't being played, at high gain they should be muted. There are several ways of doing this and you'll need to get them in your arsenal (tip of index finger, underside of index, palm on strumming hand, etc)
Sounds like the overdrive is doing its thing. Left hand muting and relaxation will help. Make sure your movements are clean and that you aren't accidentally doing a light pull-off when you switch strings.

If you curious whether string gauge helps, get some lighter strings and see. .10 or .11 is pretty normal.
Last edited by cdgraves at Oct 28, 2015,
Which string brand exactly? If it's the Ernie ball not even slinky set the g string is naturally a bit tinny sounding to me TBH.
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."
Any of them. Ernie Ball, D'addario, Dunlop, you name them. I believe maybe I'm not muting the string I'm leaving before hitting the note on another string so both notes are ringing out for a split second. Does that make sense? I'm trying to fix this, but it's a lot harder than it sounds! haha
While setup can have an effect, it honestly sounds like a gain/muting issue. Would you be able to record what you're experiencing?
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!