Help me!
I'm 16 and looking to play Metal (Melodic Death Metal, Metalcore and Deathcore) mostly along the lines of bands like Feared, the old Bring Me The Horizon (Suicide Season, There Is A Hell albums) and occasionally some Whitechapel or Suicide Silence etc. and I'd say I'm of a roughly Intermediate level of skill or maybe high end of beginner and I've played for 8 years but only seriously for a bit less than a year.
I am looking to play smallish gigs in the sort of near future and I want a half stack (100W preferably and a 4x12 cab)
I would rather not go over $800 (Australian dollars) but I am willing to go a little bit over if it's a big quality bump up! I want a great sounding crunchy, pronounced mid sound like Ola Englund from the band Feared! I have seen lots about things like the 5150 and 6505+, JCM series, Mesa Rectifiers and other big valve amps that I'd love but are far out of my price range for now but one day I will own them!

Current main rig:
Fender Mustang III
Epiphone SG (13-65 gauge strings because I downtune a lot)
Mooer Shimverb
Mooer Black Secret distortion that I think I'll take back as I'm not too keen on and I will get a tube screamer or something instead.

Thanks in advance, all advice is helpful!
Last edited by Kall_um at Oct 28, 2015,
What's the market for used Peavey non-5150/6505+ amps? Can you get a used JSX/Ultra/Ultra+/XXX/3120/XXX II in that price range with a decent cab - preferably something with Celestion Vintage30s?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
What's the market for used Peavey non-5150/6505+ amps? Can you get a used JSX/Ultra/Ultra+/XXX/3120/XXX II in that price range with a decent cab - preferably something with Celestion Vintage30s?

not good in australia. not likely to get a JSX or even an Ultra there all that cheap. what he wants doesn't sound very doable at least for tube amps
Thanks for the recommendations and I'm fine with solid state if it's good quality like Randall or something that make them well! They're all basically over a grand with no postage and not near my area :\
Last edited by Kall_um at Oct 28, 2015,
It's in the realm of do-able. If the 6505/5150 and JCM options are out of your range. What about Jet City Amps? What about a used Peavey Valveking? Either of those amps with a boost up front and a six band in the loop should be able to get you in the ballpark.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
The Valveking option is do-able and I might have to look into that!
Quote by Kall_um
The Valveking option is do-able and I might have to look into that!

as a valveking owner i can tell you it's not a death metal amp by a long shot. you might be able to get by with it but in th long run you'll just end up wanting to replace it.

the bigger ? is do you actually need a 100 watt amp and a 4x12 bottom. this may look cool but as you may have guessed anything decent is rather expensive. you may be better off considering a 2x12 combo that can deliver what you want. my 60 watt Peavey Ultra 2x12 is plenty loud and can do death metal. fits in the car way better to (but it is heavy)
I will consider all options but I want something that will last me a long time and can do bigger gigs when necessary.
Quote by Kall_um
I will consider all options but I want something that will last me a long time and can do bigger gigs when necessary.

well the amp size has little to do with playing bigger gigs. micing the amp thru thePA does. as for amp sturdiness that depends on the amp you get. my Peavey Ultra is 15 years old and still going strong.
Surely you could find a used 6150 or 5150 or similar. That shouldn't be that hard over here.

I would suggest the Laney Ironheart 60w version, although may challenge your pricing. I never played one myself but from what I saw it seemed like a pretty awesome amp for the price.

Maybe chase a good 2x12 cab over a cheap 4x12. Easier to travel with and will sound better if it's got decent speakers. I had a cheap Randall 4x12 that had Celestion Sevanty 80s (forget the spelling) or similar and it was not great. Moved on to a Framus 2x12 cab that had a V30 and something else and it sounded way better.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by monwobobbo
as a valveking owner i can tell you it's not a death metal amp by a long shot. you might be able to get by with it but in th long run you'll just end up wanting to replace it.

Maybe not in its plug and play form. Down-tuning, using a quality boost pedal, and a 6 or 10 band e.q. in the loop, along with the right speakers can totally push it into that territory. The common misconception is that you need a ton of gain to do metal.

The Valveking can do what an Ultra or 6505 can do, it just needs additional help to do it.

I will agree though, that if the OP really wants a 6505, he should save his coins for a 6505. The Ultra is also a quality amp that could get the brootz done with little problem.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I would imagine you could find an older 5150 2X12 combo or a 6505 212 combo (same exact thing except one says "5150" and the other says "6505".

That is the exact tone of most of those bands you mentioned. Why look at anything else? In the States, those combos can be found used for $400-450 USD all day long -- and there's no issue going used because those amps are built to survive a nuclear holocaust.

Also, don't worry about loudness either. While I do run a 4 X 12 cab, it is not for the volume. A bigger cab just sounds a little "deeper" and more "throaty" than a smaller cab such as a 1 X 12. But a 2 X 12 is somewhere right in the middle.
As far as overall loudness goes -- they are all capable of being heard clear as day in a band mix when pushed by 60 watts of tube power.

On a 5150 212 combo, you'd likely never need to set the volume above "4." And your ears would be bleeding before that...
Last edited by KailM at Oct 30, 2015,
Quote by KailM

Also, don't worry about loudness either. While I do run a 4 X 12 cab, it is not for the volume. A bigger cab just sounds a little "deeper" and more "throaty" than a smaller cab such as a 1 X 12.

Just a quick note -- a 4x12 beams anything above about 500Hz. If you're off-axis (IOW, not on a direct line with the center of the cabinet), you're hearing less treble than you might hear from a cabinet with better dispersal (such as a 2x12 or a 1x12), but it's there. And the first person who walks directly on axis with the center of the cabinet will hear ALL of it and his head will explode.

Most guitarists are, themselves, very much OFF axis when they say things like "deeper" and "throaty" and wonder why the audience directly in front is saying things like, "Doesn't that idiot *hear* how bad his tone is?"
Quote by ThunderPunk
Maybe not in its plug and play form. Down-tuning, using a quality boost pedal, and a 6 or 10 band e.q. in the loop, along with the right speakers can totally push it into that territory. The common misconception is that you need a ton of gain to do metal.

The Valveking can do what an Ultra or 6505 can do, it just needs additional help to do it.

I will agree though, that if the OP really wants a 6505, he should save his coins for a 6505. The Ultra is also a quality amp that could get the brootz done with little problem.

i don't agree. i have both a VK and an Ultra and can say with a great deal of certainty that the VK doesn't do modern metal or certainly death metal all that well even with an overdrive. the gain structure on the VK is different from an Ultra and so is the voicing. i have no msconceptions about gain and metal been doing that for a great number of years. you'd have to push the VK pretty hard and it can result in mush tone. once you get much past say British era Steel Judas Priest type metal it taxes the amps abilty to deliver clarity. i've gotten acceptable 1st album Metallica tones with an decent overdrive but that's about it. when it comes to the brootz the VK just isn't the first choice (although i enjoy the amp for many other things)
Quote by dspellman
Just a quick note -- a 4x12 beams anything above about 500Hz. If you're off-axis (IOW, not on a direct line with the center of the cabinet), you're hearing less treble than you might hear from a cabinet with better dispersal (such as a 2x12 or a 1x12), but it's there. And the first person who walks directly on axis with the center of the cabinet will hear ALL of it and his head will explode.

Most guitarists are, themselves, very much OFF axis when they say things like "deeper" and "throaty" and wonder why the audience directly in front is saying things like, "Doesn't that idiot *hear* how bad his tone is?"

You've 'corrected' me several times before on this very topic. Why, I ask you, does my 4 X 12 sound fantastic when I stand right in front of it?

Further, why have I stood literally directly in front of dozens of big name metal bands playing through 4 X 12s and heard good tone?