I "recently" backed a project that Crimson Guitars had on Kickstarter. One of the rewards was a full custom guitar built by Ben Crowe himself. I thought that sounded absolutely wonderful since I always wanted a custom guitar that would suit me perfectly. So I pledged the £2300 necessary to make this a reality. It's now been about three month and I still have not heard or seen anything about the guitar. They where going to start planning the guitar in the middle of august but they are giving me excuses all of the time. We're overwhelmed about the success of the Kickstarter, we're about to finish one of the most important builds in years and stuff like that. In my mind, when you're telling me that you are going to start planning the guitar a certain week, you stick to that. Anything is unacceptable. It's unprofessional. I wrote an e-mail a week and a half ago and have not heard a single word.

Have you guys got any experience regarding Crimson Guitars or any similar story?
I'm under the assumption that they're a serious business but I'm starting to get worried.

/Carl
I mean the guy is building a guitar for Robert fripp.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
I know they make killer guitars for Fripp and anyone else who can afford the time & money it takes- hopefully me, someday. But it's a small company, and it is quite possible they're being truthful when they tell you they're overwhelmed by the success of their kickstarter.

Also, it does take time to get a custom guitar made. I know builders that have nearly 2 year waiting lists. The last 2 customs I had made took about a year from first downpayment to final delivery. (At least part of that was my fault, FWIW.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 29, 2015,
As soon as all the bullshit excuses start it is time to get your money back, believe me I have had bitter experience with this kind of thing.
I once wrote a letter to a small pickup manufacturer in regards to a custom build. They didn't get back to me for @2 weeks. Turns out the business was essentially shut down when they went to an industry convention. They apologized.

I did buy their pickups.

Now, I don't know anything about Crimson's Kickstarter, but it is my understanding that there is a display of how many people pledged at a given level. If this is true, how many people pledged at the "Ben Crowe" level?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 29, 2015,
Quote by Kyleisthename
I mean the guy is building a guitar for Robert fripp.

So?
Kickstarter or no, excellent reputation or no, pretty guitar or no, there are cautions and caveats regarding commissioning a custom guitar, custom car, whatever.

One, there has to be motivation for the guitar/car to be completed in some reasonable time frame. Never hand over all the money up front. 20% is reasonable. 50% is iffy. 100% is just plain stupid.

Two, there has to be some way to retrieve your money (and any other expensive goods you may have contributed) should things go badly (the death of the owner, the descent into debauchery that can accompany exceptionally good fortune, etc.).

Three, you must be prepared to lose everything invested.

Four, it's very expensive to have legs (or even just kneecaps) broken these days. Don't ask how I know.

Five, you can easily end up being a cautionary tale to others.
Quote by JacksonKV2
I think that 4 out of 5 went with the Ben Crowe Custom.

An intake order for 4 customs- or if you're talking about a ratio not an absolute number, 80% of the the Kickstarter campaign- to be done by one builder is probably more than the usual. Especially since they'd all come in at one time.

The guitar is finally finished! Now I just have to wait for it to ship!
That's crazy haha hopefully you enjoy it!
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
JacksonKV2

Huzzah! Pix when ya get it!

JacksonKV2

Yeah this will require a very special: NGD I waited over a year and a half for this content!

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by JacksonKV2
The guitar is finally finished! Now I just have to wait for it to ship!
I was pretty apprehensive reading through this necro, but that sounds like good news Gotta see pics of that. Ben Crowe is the dude with the YouTube channel and the head tats and the creepy magician voice right?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
JacksonKV2
Nice, he does some really cool stuff I look forward to hearing about this one
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I will post pictures when I get it, but in the meanwhile, here's two videos of the guitar being built and a demo shot by Crimson.
Enjoy!

Building process:

Demo:
JacksonKV2
Neat, I'd actually already seen that one in a couple videos
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Oh cool. I've seen that one in his podcasts.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
JacksonKV2 So what is your final evaluation of the guitar?  It looks super BAD ASS.  I've watched Ben build a few from start to finish and he is so detail oriented.  Was it worth the wait?