Its my first all tube amp I've owned so forgive me if it's a stupid question. I have a Peavy Valveking 112 that I bought NEW right before the newest version came out. Pretty loud decent amp for around the house or church.

I changed the speaker and 2 of 3 tubes (preamp and clean ) right from the start. Was pretty happy with it.

Fast forward about 2 years. Now I turn the amp. It comes on but has very very low volume. Like you can barely hear it when it's cranked to 10 (usually pay around 2-4 and its plenty loud).

I'm thinking probably the power tubes? Or is there something else it could be? I pulled the 2 newer tubes I had put in and put in the original ruby tubes. No improvement. All 3 tubes plus the two power tubes all glow when warmed up. not really sure how long tubes should last and didn't want to put all kinds of money into tubes if it's something else.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

I was thinking that but I'm by no means an expert so was just looking for someone with some more expertise to add their 2¢.

So is it true that power tubes don't contribute much to the tone? I'll have to double check but I'm pretty sure it takes 6L6GC power tubes. You think I should just replace it with Rubys like from the factory? Or would I maybe get better tones out of JJs or Groove Tubes or something else?

I play a lot of cleans but otherwise some heavier rock to hardcore to punk . No death metal or anything like that.
Last edited by IdiotsRule at Oct 29, 2015,
Jj.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by IdiotsRule
Thanks.

I was thinking that but I'm by no means an expert so was just looking for someone with some more expertise to add their 2¢.

So is it true that power tubes don't contribute much to the tone? I'll have to double check but I'm pretty sure it takes 6L6GC power tubes. You think I should just replace it with Rubys like from the factory? Or would I maybe get better tones out of JJs or Groove Tubes or something else?

I play a lot of cleans but otherwise some heavier rock to hardcore to punk . No death metal or anything like that.

wel you'll get plenty of opinions on that but the power tubes do contibute to some extent to the ovderall sound of the amp. cathbard says JJs so that's a pretty good recommendation. oh and yes 6L6GC is correct power tubes.
JJs are a safe choice.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.