Hey guys,

My first post on this forum - hope you're all doing ok?

I currently use a Boss GT100 and play through a Crate Power Block (into the CD input so I bypass the EQ) into a very old HH 4x12 speaker (I think they are celestian speakers but can't be sure as I'm too scared to open it up in case it just falls apart on me! I play an American Strat and Gibson Les Paul (Studio) through it. The Les Paul is my main guitar.

I'm looking to replace the speaker as it's extremely heavy (being so old) and is very 'Bottom-Heavy' in terms of sound.

I play in a classic rock covers band (ACDC, The Who, Thin Lizzy, Queen, etc).

I was wondering if anyone had experience of the Crate Flex 412a speaker and any feedback on tone, reliability, etc would be most helpful. I have the opportunity to acquire a 2nd hand one at around £100 or so which tells me I'm lucky or......I'll get what I pay for!

I'm just not that keen on the Marshall speakers as they're a little to harsh for my preferred tone.

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers.
First off --

Speakers: The cone-shaped things that reproduce the sound from your amp.

Cabinet: The box containing the speakers.

I run an old Crate 4 X 12 cabinet; I don't know if it's a Flex 412a, but I'm assuming it's very similar. It is covered in a carpet-like material and is ugly as sin. But for $50, it was a bargain -- especially when I sold the old Celestions out of it for $100. Anyway, it's a solid cab -- all plywood except the back, which is MDF. The dimensions are nearly identical to a Marshall 1960A -- leading me to believe it's not going to sound much different (if any different) to the mentioned cab if running the same speakers.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I'm guessing you're talking about the "flexwave" series that Crate put out a number of years back. Often sold as part of a cheap solid state half-stack package.

They are MDF construction with crap stock speakers. You're better off saving a bit more cash and finding something with better construction and better materials that will last you a long time.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Hey,

Thanks for the replies. The Flex 412a i'm looking at was manufactured in 2006 so probably not the same one.

I have heard a few people say the speakers are crap but it looks good and if it is solid construction, I may just buy it and replace the speakers?

Does anyone have any experience of the weight of this cab? I'm just trying to save myself some pain when gigging as i have a back problem so any weight reductions would be useful!
since you already have a 4x12, pass. The Crate Flewave series is pure crap.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There is no such thing as a light 4x12 cab. MDF cabs, like the crate you're looking at, tend to be slightly heavier than those made of birch or poplar plywood.

Basically you're looking at a slightly heavier, poorer constructed, cheaply loaded speaker cab. You could put nice speakers in it. But, that is what we call polishing a turd.

If you want to save your back, get a nice over-sized 2x12.

As far as Marshall speakers go... not all Marshall cabs use the same speakers. But most of their quality cabs are loaded with different Celestions. G12T75, Vintage 30, Greenback, etc.

As far as speakers go, you'll want a greenback style speaker if you play music along the lines of ac/dc and other classic rock acts.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Thanks guys. I'm slowly coming round to the thought of a good 2x12. I do prefer greenback speakers and may even buy a good looking, sturdy 'shell' and fit my own speakers.

Would anyone recommend a good website (preferably in the UK from a shipping point of view) that can help with comparing speaker sounds (much like Seymour Duncan do with their pickups)?

Thanks
I know on Youtube Rivera did a shoot out comparing a bunch of different celestion and eminence speakers. You might want to start there.
It may not be 100% perfect, but the Harley bento G212 Vintage is a 2x12 cab loaded with V30's and it is stupid priced 159GBP

www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm?sid=8a6efeea8d7ab412c02de96e6e410ded

green backs are cool, but they are only 25 watts each which means a max of 50watts if you went with them in a 2x12.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
With the Crate Powerblock, if you want greenback style speakers, you'll have to pick up a pair of Eminence GB128 or Private Jack speakers. They can handle the wattage of the Powerblock.
Also Scumback in the US and Lorantz in Australia both make high power greenbacks.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification