I tried the Gibson factory standard measurements on my strings and the bass side ended up way too high and the treble strings were so close to the frets that there was hardly any sustain in them. So I gave up on the suggested action and tried to set it myself but I'm not confident in my own ability to set the action on my guitar. And when I try to bring the bass side closer to the frets I just end up getting a lot of fret buzz. I could use some suggestions. What action measurements do you prefer for both your bass and treble strings (tune-o-matic style bridge)?

And to preface, I already had the truss of my neck set, so that's not the issue.
Last edited by andersondb7 at Oct 30, 2015,
You're sure the neck relief is OK?

I like a reasonably high action, similar to an acoustic, 3/32" on the bass side. 2/32 on the treble side, at the heel fret. If you're really careful with neck relief, you can get the action at the highest frets lower than, say, the 14th fret.
I try to have my relief at the 8th fret at about .010". And I just adjust the treble side so there is no buzz.

It is a trial and error process and it can take awhile to get it perfect. Sounds like your neck relief is off one way or another.
Quote by andersondb7
I tried the Gibson factory standard measurements on my strings and the bass side ended up way too high and the treble strings were so close to the frets that there was hardly any sustain in them. So I gave up on the suggested action and tried to set it myself but I'm not confident in my own ability to set the action on my guitar. And when I try to bring the bass side closer to the frets I just end up getting a lot of fret buzz. I could use some suggestions. What action measurements do you prefer for both your bass and treble strings (tune-o-matic style bridge)?

And to preface, I already had the truss of my neck set, so that's not the issue.

just having the t-rod "set" and then going from there isn't really the best way to approach the job. assuming the string height at the nut is ok, you'll need to move from action, intonation, neck relief, and back, multiple times over to get it right. each adjustment effects another setting until they are all dialed in to where you want them.

action measurements i set on my 71' lp custom are:

strings: DR pure blues or tite-fits: .010~.046
tuning: DGCFAD
action, treble side, @12th: .046
action, bass side, @12th: .062
neck relief @7th: .003, measured with a capo on the 1st, strings fretted at the 12th
tail piece: tight to the body. no wrap over.
Last edited by ad_works at Oct 30, 2015,