UG, I have GAS. It's been really bad lately for a new lunchbox amp. There are so many out there now and i'm not sure where to begin. I played a Marshall DSL15H in GC the other day and loved it. The others that are peaking interest right now are the Peavey 6505MH, and the EVH 5150LBXIII. I've already got a Mesa Mini Rec and of course it's awesome, but that's not what gas is about. I've also got a Marshall TSL(which I don't play much and thought i'd enjoy playing the DSL15)

What do you guys think? Which one would fill a gap I've got between the two amps I've already got or better yet, which new lunchbox amp out there gets you going? Don't really care about price, because at this point it is mostly dreaming, but it will be a reality soon.

If you're really interested my musical taste runs from pink Floyd to metallica, winger to queensryche, with a ton of Iron Maiden thrown in for good measure.
Check out the Krank mini heads, $399 right now. The 1980II JR would fit what you want most likely.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I agree with Rob, I would go for a Krank over that particular Marshall. I think the Marshall/British flavored sound is the one you are lacking, based off of what you already have.

That DSL15, was terrible, in my opinion. It did not have a solid distortion, or at least one that did not get really fizzy and really fast at that. The clean was meh, it just never sounded what I wanted it to sound like.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by grim1
UG, I have GAS. It's been really bad lately for a new lunchbox amp. There are so many out there now and i'm not sure where to begin.

Lunchbox amps had my interest for about 30 seconds, and then it went away.

The original lunchbox amp, and the one that started it all, was the $89 Epiphone Valve Jr. It was only 5 watts, but the hoo-hah was "but it's a Real Tube Amp for dirt cheap." I bought two of the heads ("dirt cheap," after all) with the intention of modifying one. Along came Mercury Magnetics with a stupid expensive mod that, with installation, cost four times what the original amp did. It made such a difference that the resultant amp is still being ripped off...er...borrowed at a surprising rate for recording. Still have both heads, and while I really like the mod, I thought for a long time afterwards that I had more money than sense in doing that. Now that I see some of the current crop of $500 lunchbox crap, I can see that I'm not the only one.

There's no real advantage to any of the "lunchbox" amps over 5 watts other than a repackaging in a small size. The Carvin V3M proves that you can stuff a whole lot of channels and power into a small shape, and that's probably true for almost any 50W amp out there. This is simply a bandwagon ridden by a huge number of manufacturers who had lost hope in finding something else to sell. Somewhere there's a gold-plated EVJr on an altar with candles and incense and a number of manufacturers kneeling before it with their butts in the air, paying homage.

The next altar is reserved for whomever convinces guitarists that a lightweight 400W powered full range speaker cabinet can easily outshout a 4x12 and slash 2/3rds the weight off that clumsy POS doing it.

At some point in 1970, someone cursed all guitarists, and to this day they wander, zombie-like, into guitar stores murmuring, "I know it makes absolutely no sense, but I want it." The safest place to be in a zombie porklips is a Guitar Denter. Zombies know they'll starve there.
Quote by dspellman
Lunchbox amps had my interest for about 30 seconds, and then it went away.

The original lunchbox amp, and the one that started it all, was the $89 Epiphone Valve Jr. It was only 5 watts, but the hoo-hah was "but it's a Real Tube Amp for dirt cheap." I bought two of the heads ("dirt cheap," after all) with the intention of modifying one. Along came Mercury Magnetics with a stupid expensive mod that, with installation, cost four times what the original amp did. It made such a difference that the resultant amp is still being ripped off...er...borrowed at a surprising rate for recording. Still have both heads, and while I really like the mod, I thought for a long time afterwards that I had more money than sense in doing that. Now that I see some of the current crop of $500 lunchbox crap, I can see that I'm not the only one.

There's no real advantage to any of the "lunchbox" amps over 5 watts other than a repackaging in a small size. The Carvin V3M proves that you can stuff a whole lot of channels and power into a small shape, and that's probably true for almost any 50W amp out there. This is simply a bandwagon ridden by a huge number of manufacturers who had lost hope in finding something else to sell. Somewhere there's a gold-plated EVJr on an altar with candles and incense and a number of manufacturers kneeling before it with their butts in the air, paying homage.

The next altar is reserved for whomever convinces guitarists that a lightweight 400W powered full range speaker cabinet can easily outshout a 4x12 and slash 2/3rds the weight off that clumsy POS doing it.

one advantage is it 50 watts , weighs 19 pounds and fits on my small table next to my couch ...

It's great that you like the Line 6 sound and are smart enough to dial it in , for the rest of us they sound like shit and make every guitar sound the same
Quote by Fumble fingers

Beat me to it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Robbgnarly
Check out the Krank mini heads, $399 right now. The 1980II JR would fit what you want most likely.

All of their mini amps are $399?

I thought the 15h sounded awful. The 1980 is a breath of fresh air IMO. If you want an early Heavy Metal type tone, it's awesome. Definitely unique to the Mesa.
Quote by patriotplayer90
All of their mini amps are $399?

I thought the 15h sounded awful. The 1980 is a breath of fresh air IMO. If you want an early Heavy Metal type tone, it's awesome. Definitely unique to the Mesa.

Yep and made in USA
www.krankamps.com/
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yep and made in USA

Oh that's put me off, not buying that foreign rubbish!
Victory Kraken!
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
ENGL Ironball
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by SpiderM
Oh that's put me off, not buying that foreign rubbish!

no, but a USA made amp at a price equal or lower than import amps is pretty awesome and Krank gives you a lifetime warranty when you buy new, very few amp company's will do this, very few. And Mesa, Marshall, Engl, Orange won't or can not offer this
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 2, 2015,
Thanks guys, great information. Don't know that i'll pull the trigger on the Krank and i'm now off of GAS since I blew my wad on Joe Satriani Tickets with the Meet and Greet Upgrade. Pretty psyched about that.
You're forgiven.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Fumble fingers
one advantage is it 50 watts , weighs 19 pounds and fits on my small table next to my couch ...

That would be the same advantage I mentioned, would it not?:

"There's no real advantage to any of the "lunchbox" amps over 5 watts other than a repackaging in a small size. The Carvin V3M proves that you can stuff a whole lot of channels and power into a small shape..."

Your question was "which new lunchbox amp gets you going?"
I don't have a need to put a 50W amp on a small table next to my couch.
Quote by grim1
Thanks guys, great information. Don't know that i'll pull the trigger on the Krank and i'm now off of GAS since I blew my wad on Joe Satriani Tickets with the Meet and Greet Upgrade. Pretty psyched about that.

And I know Joe is, as well.
Yeah, Can't wait to meet him, plus the show should be great! Smaller venue here in Va Beach, VA. and the fact that I've got front row seats. Haven't been that close in ages.
Quote by grim1
Yeah, Can't wait to meet him, plus the show should be great! Smaller venue here in Va Beach, VA. and the fact that I've got front row seats. Haven't been that close in ages.

Have fun, I've always thought that every guitar player should go and see half of a Satriani show once...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin