Hi Guys,

Just curious if anyone has heard of way of doing the peter green mod using a switch rather than push pull pots or flipping the magnets.

Ideally I'd like to do something where I would change the pup selector switch to something like Up=Neck Down=Bridge Middle=Both Middle&Right=Both out of phase. But that may not be possible.

Can it just be activated using a push button by changing one pot to a push pull?

It's the kinda thing I'd only want to use every now and then so I do not want to permanently change the magnets or change too many parts

Cheers
Gerry
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Sure. Carvin guitars often ship with a phase switch (though they usually use a miniswitch rather than a push-pull). It's a simple wiring issue, no magnets need flipping (that was actually a mistake that Peter Green decided he didn't mind).
Both out of phase? Dunno about that mod, I have my neck pickup going out of phase with the switch. Sounds lovely with the bridge pickup.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

If you don't flip the magnet & the PU it will not be the same IIRC.
Putting a phase switch in will give more tonal options & probably be more detectable/noticeable but its not Peter Green.
Moving on.....
Okay, then, someone explain to me how flipping the magnet and putting the pickup upside down puts it out of phase with itself? You're saying there's no other pickup necessary -- this is done with just one pickup?

I've always assumed that flipping the magnet (which was, indeed done on Green's guitar) and wiring the pickups normally accomplished pretty much the same sound as simply wiring the two pickups out of phase. I've seen Gary Moore's guitar (ex-Green) and heard it, but I've never actually had the guitar to open it up and peer inside. I believe those who say the magnet is flipped, but I'm not sure how much difference that actually makes in the sound of an out-of-phase *pair* of pickups.

Also worth noting: both pickups are identical on Green's guitar, no? Most guitars that have a phase switch these days have one pickup hotter than the other, which changes things in and of itself. If the pickups aren't identical, you won't hear the guitar doing a Green-alike anyway.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 30, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
Okay, then, someone explain to me how flipping the magnet and putting the pickup upside down puts it out of phase with itself? You're saying there's no other pickup necessary -- this is done with just one pickup?

I've always assumed that flipping the magnet (which was, indeed done on Green's guitar) and wiring the pickups normally accomplished pretty much the same sound as simply wiring the two pickups out of phase. I've seen Gary Moore's guitar (ex-Green) and heard it, but I've never actually had the guitar to open it up and peer inside. I believe those who say the magnet is flipped, but I'm not sure how much difference that actually makes in the sound of an out-of-phase *pair* of pickups.

Also worth noting: both pickups are identical on Green's guitar, no? Most guitars that have a phase switch these days have one pickup hotter than the other, which changes things in and of itself. If the pickups aren't identical, you won't hear the guitar doing a Green-alike anyway.

the peter green sound comes from the flipped magnets but also from using both pickups (middle position on switch). the 2 pickups aren't in phase together which gets you that tone
Quote by monwobobbo
the peter green sound comes from the flipped magnets but also from using both pickups (middle position on switch). the 2 pickups aren't in phase together which gets you that tone

Okay, everything I know agrees with you.

But what I don't get is why simply putting the 2 pickups out of phase *without* flipping the magnet on one shouldn't produce the same thing. To my ears it does.

I've got a number of guitars with phase switches and a number of guitars that make use of out of parallel plus out of phase positions (the original Gibson L6S has six pickup positions, four of which are both pickups together, including both pickups in series in and out of phase and both pickups in parallel in and out of phase).
Quote by dspellman
Okay, everything I know agrees with you.

But what I don't get is why simply putting the 2 pickups out of phase *without* flipping the magnet on one shouldn't produce the same thing. To my ears it does.

I've got a number of guitars with phase switches and a number of guitars that make use of out of parallel plus out of phase positions (the original Gibson L6S has six pickup positions, four of which are both pickups together, including both pickups in series in and out of phase and both pickups in parallel in and out of phase).

not sure what to tell you. guessing that it's close enough so that it's tougher to tell. at the time that was a unique tone and it has mythical status which at this point isn't as tough to duplicate (sans peter's awseome playing).