Page 1 of 2
Young Adult novels were the best. Some great fiction.

Share and reminiscence on some sick Young Adult novels here.

My all time fave was Mortal Engines and it's 3 sequels. Sick series about cities on wheels in a post apocalypse.

Wbu?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Never heard of it
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
I don't really know what the exact definition of "young adult" is, but I'm looking through amazon's top 100 list and i'll post the ones I like:

ender's game
persepolis
call of the wild
the giver
hitchiker's guide to the galaxy
old man and the sea
princess bride
sandman
to kill a mockingbird

i wouldn't consider msot of of those young adult so idk what it actually mean.s
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Eastwinn
the stigma against young adult novels is hilarious and sad

It's a bullshit classification and everyone knows it. It's the section of the library where all the books that get bullied by well-written examples of their genres hang out.
I bought and read a young adult novel called Thirteen Reasons Why when i was in high school and i thought it was pretty alright.

The only old young adult series' i remember liking are the Lost Years of Merlin series and the Redwall series
Funny story, my dad bought me Breaking Dawn (3rd or 4th book from the Twilight series) because he thought it was about chess. I tried to keep a straight face while thanking him. It's still on my bookshelf. I told myself I'd never read it.

Until I read this. Now it's on my radar.

Anyway other than Goosebumps I didn't really read YA fiction. Oh yeah, Sophie's World and Skellig were great. And that one British book about spy children, was it the Cherub series? I wasn't much of a reader then, more of a TV brat.

Couple of novels about Bulimia and parental abuse as well. One about a girl that was raped, I think they made it into a film with Kirsten Stewart. Perks of Being A Wallflower. Bunch more I really can't remember anything about. Like I said, sporadic reader.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Oct 30, 2015,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Funny story, my dad bought me Breaking Dawn (3rd or 4th book from the Twilight series) because he thought it was about chess. I tried to keep a straight face while thanking him. It's still on my bookshelf. I told myself I'd never read it.

Until I read this. Now it's on my radar.

Anyway other than Goosebumps I didn't really read YA fiction. Oh yeah, Sophie's World and Skellig were great. And that one British book about spy children, was it the Cherub series? I wasn't much of a reader then, more of a TV brat.

Couple of novels about Bulimia and parental abuse as well. One about a girl that was raped, I think they made it into a film with Kirsten Stewart. Perks of Being A Wallflower. Bunch more I really can't remember anything about. Like I said, sporadic reader.

Was Goosebumps young adult? I had moved beyond Goosebumps by like...age 8 maybe? Read His Dark Materials aged like...9 or 10 so yeah. I'd consider Goosebumps for children and stuff with a little heavier subject matter but still child/teenage protagonists as Young Adult, personally.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
'young adult' as in series I read when I was 11-13

His Dark Materials, Artemis Fowl, Pendragon, A Series of Unfortunate Events

a few memorable ones

also this book,

Green Eggs and Ham 4ever
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Tomorrow, When The War Began. It was a series about a group of teenage Australians having to survive in the outback after Australia has been invaded by an unknown enemy force.

It gets pretty dark at times. Mainly about the moral choices of letting a friend get tortured by the enemy for the greater good or blowing up innocent civilians in order to take out enemy supply routes.
Last edited by DardySon at Oct 30, 2015,
idk if A Series of Unfortunate Events counts, but I loved those as a kid
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
The Giver, although reading it again now it's not as great as it seemed when you're young and new to all the Orwellian shit
the giver sucked. to kill a mockingbird was meh. while we're on the topic of shit we've read in high school, of mice and men was a pretty good book. the great gatsby was as well. there was another book i read that was fucking great, but i unfortunately can't remember the name of it. also have read holes probably about 3-4 times and love it to death. on another note, i think the movie did a great job of capturing the vibe i got from the book.

harry potter was pretty good, can still read them and enjoy it. artemis fowl was dece, blew through books those pretty quickly. loved his dark materials but can't remember anything about the books because i read them like 9-10 years ago (might have to read them again just cause). the inheritance series (eragon/eldest/etc.) is also okay- some of the political stuff gets a bit boring though, plus you've got those star wars fanboys who are all butthurt because apparently there's a lot of similar plot elements/language/races of characters/whatever. wouldn't know because i've never watched star wars

i remembered pendragon being awesome up until about the fourth or so book, then i just kinda felt the plot got repetitive and lost interest.

was legitimately going to give twilight a chance, but then i read the first 5-7 pages and was just like "yeah this writing is pretty bad and also not really my thing"

edit: i also enjoyed this book

Last edited by Dregen at Oct 30, 2015,
My wife reads a ton of YA stuff. A lot of it's pretty good, but the shitty stuff seems to be what gets popular.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
^Gone is pretty damn good

Quote by WCPhils at #33659785
idk if A Series of Unfortunate Events counts, but I loved those as a kid

Also loved Harry Potter. Re-read them last year and while the first 2 are kinda bland I still really like the rest once the story really kicks off at the end of 3.

Pendragon was cool, but I remember it kinda falling apart later one and I don't even know if I finished them

I liked the first Eragon book. It was basically Star Wars in Middle Earth but it was a fun book. The next few got really boring though and looking back I'm don't even know why I liked them so much at the time I read them. Like some of it was just god awful

Enders Game is great

Hitchhikers is really great

Princess Bride is great, though I prefer the movie

Maze Runner series is pretty good. Ton better than that shit movie.
Last edited by WCPhils at Oct 30, 2015,
^Hitchhikers was amazing. Does Terry Pratchet count? If so, everything from Terry Pratchet.

For me I think prisoner of azkaban was the essential harry potter book. Harry potter gets flak every now and then because it's so famous, but it's famous for a reason.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7

So much lol. "Oh dad, you shouldn't have. You REALLY shouldn't have."
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Oct 30, 2015,
D-Darren Shan

Dear god I can't bear to look at them anymore.

I used to enjoy The Wereling, too. Big on that Body "Horror" stuff.

Around 16-17 I started going for non-fiction, photographic works, etc, but now I'm back at reading comic books about sadness and dying, so full circle, eh?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
D-Darren Shan

Dear god I can't bear to look at them anymore.

I used to enjoy The Wereling, too. Big on that Body "Horror" stuff.

Around 16-17 I started going for non-fiction, photographic works, etc, but now I'm back at reading comic books about sadness and dying, so full circle, eh?

Darren Shan was a hilarious and bizarre series lol Des Tiny

Actually yeah I really liked Des Tiny and Harkat. Mostly because it was the edgiest thing in there (in a good way). I meant more the Lord Loss series, which I can only really remember having loads of awful descriptions of bad DeviantArt guro monsters and one lovely section about floating lights.

To be fair I have very fond memories of his self-titled series, but in retrospect the writing wasn't that good and the plot is a little eh at times. It could have been much more than it was.

Koyasan was p dank if I recall
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 30, 2015,
also: shutter island, gone baby gone, the key to midnight, along came a spider

all great books
Quote by Baby Joel
i wouldn't consider msot of of those young adult so idk what it actually mean.s

i think it's pretty much most of the shit you read in middle school.

i liked the Artemis Fowl series when i was younger. never finished all of them though.

still need to read the author's unofficial Hitchhiker's Guide book.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by sasquatchjosh96 at #33659923

For me I think prisoner of azkaban was the essential harry potter book. Harry potter gets flak every now and then because it's so famous, but it's famous for a reason.

7 is probably the best, but 3 is my favorite
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
^Hitchhikers was amazing. Does Terry Pratchet count? If so, everything from Terry Pratchet.

So much lol. "Oh dad, you shouldn't have. You REALLY shouldn't have."

Some of the Discworld books are definitely aimed at a younger audience than the rest, but Pratchett's rather sporadic use of chapters in his work(he uses them mostly in YA titles because the editor "screams at him until he does") reflects an assumption that his readers don't need the story broken up into chunks that way.
I read my entire school library in highschool.
Cirque du freak is a good series, it's a good story but simple reading, when my friends and I saw the move preview we boycotted it.
Demonata series was good.
As Simple As Snow is a very good, but I can't talk about it without spoiling it, it's more mature than the previous two I mentioned.
Bottled up.
The Otori Series, the protagonist is a master assassin born in a family with heightened senses, it's badass, heads on pikes and that shit. Sucks after the 3rd book. If you like anime you'll like this, but it has a more serious tone about it.
Catcher in the Rye Read it, just do it.
Brave New World Not my favorite book by a long shot, but it's a must read.

Oh FYI Darren Shan has several series since I've gotten out of highschool, haven't read any of them, but I remember one being about zombies.
Last edited by stratkat at Oct 31, 2015,
Artemis Fowl (getting turned into a film soon apparently), Unfortunate Events, Alex Rider, Animorphs when I was a bit younger (cried at the last book).

There were a couple others I can't remember the names of. One where it was sort of set in a Zelda-like world where the main character (called Leif I think) had to find a different precious stone in each book to complete a sword and liberate the kingdom or something. Another called Keys to the Kingdom I think? Teenager is 'the chosen one' and has to save an alternate world and the bad guys were all named after days of the week.

And therebwas another series where this kid discovers he's a reincarnation of a great hero from the past, but has to find all the rest of them too. In that series I learnt about the Nazca Lines so that's pretty cool.

Never finished any of them though so that's why I can't remember the names.
Artemis fowl was getting turned into a movie when I was in 7th grade (over 10 years ago,) it even announced it in a jacket cover on one of the books, it either never happened, or it was universally hated.

I hate the books so meh.
I tried to read the first Artemis Fowl book but it was shit

Quote by RAB11
There were a couple others I can't remember the names of. One where it was sort of set in a Zelda-like world where the main character (called Leif I think) had to find a different precious stone in each book to complete a sword and liberate the kingdom or something.

oh shit, I remember reading that, but I can't remember what it was called either
Quote by EndTheRapture51 at #33660675

yea, I remember hating it
___

Quote by The_Blode
more also's: HOUSE OF THE SCORPION. it's fucking fantastic. please read it if you haven't already, you won't regret it.

Quote by RAB11
There were a couple others I can't remember the names of. One where it was sort of set in a Zelda-like world where the main character (called Leif I think) had to find a different precious stone in each book to complete a sword and liberate the kingdom or something.

deltora quest. when i was in elementary school, me and my other bookie friend were super into them.

Quote by EndTheRapture51

i can see that. the first time i tried to read it, it just bored me. but idk, i picked it up again a year later and just got into it for some reason.

Quote by supertom1
Does the Hunger Games series count?

yeah
Last edited by Dregen at Oct 31, 2015,
Artemis Foul was pretty sweet, untill about the 5th or 6th book when it started dragging on and I stopped reading.

Young Merlin.

Sabriel was the shit. Necromancers? Hell yeah.

The Warriors series. It was about a bunch of cat tribes that fought each other.

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. All the discworld stuff.

The Enchanted Forrest Chronicles. Dealing with Dragons was the best.

A Wizard Of Earthsea.

A Wrinkle in Time

Indian in the Cupboard

Redwall

The Castle in the Attic

Ailiens Ate My Homework

The Skull of Truth

Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher

Jennifer Murdley's Toad

Does Mistborn count? Those are top 3 on my list of GOAT books. (The first trilogy at least)

EDIT: I rember the Deltora quest books. I remeber my best friends older sister saying they were shit and being midly affronted lol.

I also remembered the Grey King series. And Little House of the Prairie.

And something else i cant remeber. All I can remeber was there was a girl with an orange sash on the front. I remeber that because thats the book series me best friends older sister said was better than the Deltora books. I think it was too. Damn. Its gonna bug me now.
Last edited by Duaneclapdrix at Nov 1, 2015,
Darren Shan was banter, I tried rereading them about two years back and they're total dog shit now. The best book was when he went to the swamp thing with Harkat to figure out who he was in his past life though and they got those teeth wot spelled out his name and he was all "Des Tiny is a motherfucker with cheese ugh it's just muh name yo" and later on he wo all acually is Kurda Smahlt and they're like :000000000

Also His Dark Materials is tight yo, the fucking film though
Last edited by K'Nuckles at Nov 1, 2015,
I forgot about Cirque Du Freak. I got like 6 or 7 books in and stopped because I was just hate reading them
Page 1 of 2