I would like to upgrade my MIM Fender Strat with better pickups. Only problemen is i don't know which pups to choose. I like the Hendrix sound but i also like the Clapton sound (Layla, Cocaine, I Shot The Sheriff). At the moment i don't know whether the CS '69s or the Fat '50s would be better. Or are there any better pickups which i should consider? I have to be able to change the pickup covers with Fender Aged White Pickup covers though.
As far as I know Clapton uses Fender Noiseless pickups (Vintage or Hot, can't remember). Maybe Texas Specials for classic rock? Seymour Duncan also make the SSL-1 and the Surfer Antiquity pickups, which might be well suited to what you want to play.
Yamaha F310P "Bella"
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Goldtop "Chrysa"
Fender Standard Stratocaster "Michelle"
Fender Classic Series 70s Stratocaster "Nefertiti"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

Dunlop Stubby 3.0mm picks
D'Addario strings
Maybe go and try some guitars in a local store with the pickups you're considering. Would be fair to buy the pickups from that store though.
---
Both Hendrix and Clapton were using vintage single coils in that era, so I'd go with something like SSL-2s if they are going in a guitar with a modern radius.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
If you guys could listen to Clapton's 2010 Crossroads performance of "I Shot The Sheriff". That is the exact sound that got me to buy a Strat. Which pickups come closest to that?
Current Clapton guitars use Vintage Noiseless PUPs with a mid boost circuit - as per the Clapton signature models on the Fender Web site. Prior to noiseless PUP's it was Lace Sensors and prior to that probably what ever was current at the time.

Videos from various years at the Albert Hall would indicate Clapton favouring the neck and neck and middle PUPs with the tone rolled back. Clapton signature Strats have a TBX tone control but I have read that Clapton doesn't currently have this on his guitars.

Hendrix would have used what ever was current but also favoured neck or middle PUPs. It is this which has the most dramatic impact on a "Hendrix" sound. I have 3 completely different Strats with completely different PUPs but all get a Jimi vibe using the neck PUP.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
The Fender Vintage Noisless pups come packaged with the Vol and Tone Pots. They sound great! They are what I specified on my custom strat. Check them out if you can.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
I've had good luck with the Lace Rainbow pack in my MIJ. They're not as clean as the Modern classic's in my CS strat, but they distort a lot nicer, and still make the guitar sound like a strat.

Maybe have a look at one of the lower output Lace sets?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Thanks for the info guys. Noiseless pups seem to get alot of bad reviews so i think i'll stay away from them. The Antiquity Surfers look like some killer pickups. I've read that alot of people put a twangbanger in the bridge along with the Antiquity's. What does this to the sound? What is the difference between the normal Antiquity and the RW/RP one?
Quote by red.guitar
I've had good luck with the Lace Rainbow pack in my MIJ. They're not as clean as the Modern classic's in my CS strat, but they distort a lot nicer, and still make the guitar sound like a strat. ...

Great to hear. They are on my list for the next revision on my MIM. The original PUP's are pretty horrid and if the pole pieces were any more varied in height I'd have vultures roosting on them... and still they sound crap. Lace Sensors aren't cheap so it is something of a gamble considering the out lay.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Quote by John Sims
Great to hear. They are on my list for the next revision on my MIM. The original PUP's are pretty horrid and if the pole pieces were any more varied in height I'd have vultures roosting on them... and still they sound crap. Lace Sensors aren't cheap so it is something of a gamble considering the out lay.

Yeah I know what you mean. I've been happy with Lace so far. I have the alumitone P90's in my Gibson, and they're also pretty killer.

The strat pickups are super quiet, and I think the alumitones are the quietest P90's I've ever heard. There's barely any hum at all. Both sets are very articulate.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H