Was discussing this matter with a co-worker of mine, and was wondering what the Pit thought about the issue.
Should a difference in beliefs between a band or artist be a factor in listening to said band or artist?
for instance, im a big fan of punk and hardcore, but i tend to stay away from the skin head movement, based on my own personal morals. same goes for Burzum. Love black metal, but don't really want to fuck with Varg.
Thoughts?
I like Johnny rottens music at least back in the sex pistols days. the songwriter for the mamas and the papas is said to have sex with his daughter. I don't like the idea that but he wrote some of the most beautiful intriguing songs. I saw her again last night kills me every time I hear it. So I guess it doesn't matter. That's about as low as you can get morally but I still like the music is what it is.
Punk music is a bunch of drunken idiots self-destructing. I watched a documentary on it the fans were devoted to staying drunk 24 seven, no fooling.

Their excuse? The world is such a horrible terrible place for wonderful sensitive souls such as ourselves, it's so degrading to live in a terrible terrible world.

Showed the house they were squatting in (they like to do that, be squatters) it was wall-to-wall sick drunken kids puke everywhere the toilet the sinks the floor. The drug of choice is alcohol but I'm sure they do any kind of drugs they can get their hands on.
Most of them came from broken homes but some of them came from good loving homes.
In a way it was like most people's idea of hippies except true hippies were not like that it was the one of the hippies the dumb kids that came out to San Francisco in 67. There was a similar mindset except the hippie posers weren't totally devoted to killing themselves with alcohol. They just like marijuana and LSD . I'm sure they drank a little bit of wine. It wasn't like these kids I saw this documented very though. They wanted to be as drunk as they could as often as they could every waking moment it was incredible. They weren't even human there was just zombies with attitudes.
I still love the fake sound of progress and start something by lost prophets even though Ian Watkins is into little kids and now serving time. So yeah I guess I can look past it, doesn't mean I agree with the awful things he's done.
i guess it depends on when you get into stuff. i grew up on Cosby, and i still listen to his old comedy lps, but if somebody was on the front page tomorrow for raping dozens of women im not gonna run out and check out their stuff
There shouldn't be any rule for or against it.
If you can still like the product while knowing an ugly truth then that's fine.
If the truth is so overbearing that it interferes with you enjoying the product then that's OK too.

Its a personal decision and no one else should be the judge of it for you.
I don't generally tend to care about moral differences with artists, but I generally won't buy something from an artist with odious political views. Ted Nugent, case in point, rightwing whackjob par excellence....and a big donor to the RNC. Every dollar you spend on his products, part of the proceeds end up with the Republican Party to push their regressive agenda. No thanks, won't buy it Ted.

Personally I think it's very foolish for artists to push a political or moral agenda. Why piss off the part of the fanbase that may be offended? Just play the music, or act, and move on. You can speak your mind, sure, but don't be surprised if it doesn't hit you in the pocketbook. Remember the Dixie Chicks?
Quote by TobusRex
I don't generally tend to care about moral differences with artists, but I generally won't buy something from an artist with odious political views. Ted Nugent, case in point, rightwing whackjob par excellence....and a big donor to the RNC. Every dollar you spend on his products, part of the proceeds end up with the Republican Party to push their regressive agenda. No thanks, won't buy it Ted.

Personally I think it's very foolish for artists to push a political or moral agenda. Why piss off the part of the fanbase that may be offended? Just play the music, or act, and move on. You can speak your mind, sure, but don't be surprised if it doesn't hit you in the pocketbook. Remember the Dixie Chicks?

because maybe ppl think there are things are more important than their chequebook? :-o
Well, free speech is sacred, i dont think anyone is saying that people shouldnt express themselves in their art. like the Lost Prophets example, as someone who never listened to them prior, not sure if i could get into them knowing what we all know. I know that Burzum is highly regarded as one of the progenitors of modern black metal, but the white supremacy and homophobia pushes me away.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
because maybe ppl think there are things are more important than their chequebook? :-o

Then they can say whatever they want. And they'll lose money for doing it. If that's what they want, more power to them.
You can like punk rock and hardcore and stay away from the skinheads and straight edge meat heads. Just don't go to the concerts and you'll be fine.

Someone was waving a nazi (swatztica) flag at a slipknot concert, my friends was standing next to black gentlemen and asked if he could use his water bottle to deck that dude. My friend didn't miss.
Last edited by stratkat at Oct 31, 2015,
Quote by stratkat
You can like punk rock and hardcore and stay away from the skinheads and straight edge meat heads. Just don't go to the concerts and you'll be fine.

At one concert someone was waving a nazi (swatztica) flag at a slipknot concert, my friends was standing next to black gentlemen and asked if he could use his water bottle to deck that dude. My friend didn't miss.

A friend of mine in the Army was a skinhead before he joined. He explained skinhead "culture" to me. Those guys come in many stripes and not all are racist. My friend was a "good" skinhead. He explained further that the Nazi skinheads aren't very popular with the rest.

He also thought I was a great bass player after hearing me play (I'd never picked up a bass in my life! He said I was a "natural"). No, I'm not black.
Quote by TobusRex
A friend of mine in the Army was a skinhead before he joined. He explained skinhead "culture" to me. Those guys come in many stripes and not all are racist. My friend was a "good" skinhead. He explained further that the Nazi skinheads aren't very popular with the rest.

He also thought I was a great bass player after hearing me play (I'd never picked up a bass in my life! He said I was a "natural"). No, I'm not black.

That's fine and all, but it's pretty stupid to wave a swatstika flag while on someone's shoulders while other's were showing tits, and their was the biggest black man I'd ever seen at the concert. He was doing this before the curtain dropped, pretty sure when the lights went out he was floored.

I shared a jail cell with a white supremacist for about 6 days, he was funny, and made time go by a bit faster, and since the jail was segregated he didn't seem any more racist than the average white male in my county.
Last edited by stratkat at Oct 31, 2015,
Anytime a jackass with Nazi symbols on his body or clothing gets knocked out...it's a good thing.
Quote by Weaponized
I only listen to bands with wholesome family values

Pat Boone? The Osmonds? The Partridge Family (with the greatest MILF in TV history, btw).