Hi. Time to pester y'all with an another question on VSTs.

Anyone recall a good plugin for tape effects? Stuff that'd let me add tape saturation, warmth and flutter on an audio track? I don' t really have money for a tape deck you know. I'm on my phone away from home so I can't try stuff out right now, so I'm asking people here what they'd recommend so I could check them out when I get home. Cheaper the better Thanks.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
If you just want simple tape saturation, Fab Filter Saturn is great. It's a very simple but useful saturation plugin that features a few different distortion types (Clean Tape, Warm Tape, Warm Tube, Power Amp, etc.). I use it all the time these days to give tracks a little more warmth or presence,

An even more useful plugin is Izotope Trash. It's a distortion modeler, geared more towards extreme effects, but it's actually incredible versatile. It's most easily used for crazy distortion on drums or vocals, and it even makes a great amp modeler, but if you dial things back a bit, or focus on the list of Saturation presets, you can add subtle harmonics to your mix.

Those would be my two choices. Saturn is aimed at tape/tube saturation specifically, but Trash is much more versatile, just harder to use.
I got Waves J37 on sale and I absolutely love it. Loads of options and it's very easy to use after spending 30 seconds with the pdf manual. If your budget includes a waves plugin, and you're patient waiting for the right sale (THEN visit plugindiscounts.com for a further sale - I am not affiliated, just a happy customer) you can get some great stuff.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Thanks, I'll check those out. Now to find a nice tape flutter effect.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
a tape deck would prob be 20x cheaper than any waves plugin (if you are a pleb that actually buys plugins)
Quote by tateandlyle
a tape deck would prob be 20x cheaper than any waves plugin (if you are a pleb that actually buys plugins)

You must have some crazy deals over there.

And I'd rather not pay of course. But for a good plugin, sure, I can spare some money.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Waves J37 or u-he Satin.
FabFilter's Saturn is good for all around stuff, but if you care about tape emulation go for a tape emulation plugin.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by tateandlyle

uhhhhhh my J37 was like $85 haha

Any non-cassette stereo tape deck will be a few hundred bucks minimum
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall

My thoughts as well. I still don't want to pay 85$
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Quote by Kevätuhri
My thoughts as well. I still don't want to pay 85$

Well depending on how much you DO want to pay, check out Slate's new subscription model. Could be up your alley!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Sure, I'll check out as many options as I can
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Quote by Sid McCall

wtf is a non-cassette tape deck

you can easily get a reel-to-reel for less than $85 if you want as well
Quote by tateandlyle
wtf is a non-cassette tape deckl

A tape deck that uses proper reels I guess. Not cassettes.

Quote by tateandlyle
you can easily get a reel-to-reel for less than $85 if you want as well

Maybe, if you live somewhere that is not where I live.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Quote by tateandlyle
wtf is a non-cassette tape deck
A reel to reel usually.
Like this - http://www.supersound.org.uk/images/tapedeck2.jpg
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.