I finally was able to buy the Epi ES-335 Pro I've been wanting for ages. I actually went to the store and they ordered it for me, got a 10% discount in the process. That was last night. Today the order status says 'backordered'. Does it mean I'll get it in 12 months? Never? What does it mean exactly? Does anyone have any experience with such a situation? Thanks.
Staff at GC did not mention an inventory issue when they placed the order so I'm surprised...
Why would you ask us instead of calling the store? We are not psychic.
Quote by OliveG
Staff at GC did not mention an inventory issue when they placed the order so I'm surprised...

Guitar Denter's online inventory system is the real issue. They report existing inventory in stores that have none and vice versa. They also incorrectly report inventory at their fulfillment centers.

For example, I was hunting a Variax Acoustic 700 several years ago. I called, the store said, "Sure we have one. It says so on our inventory." Not there. They said, "Our sister store has one, according to the computer." I went to the sister store, and they said, "No, we don't have any of those and haven't had for a year or two." As I was leaving, I saw TWO of them on a Clearance platform. I pointed them out to the guitar manager. "Huh!"

I picked one of them and said, "I'll take this one. It comes with a gig bag and some accessories." They went in search. Two and a half hours later (I went for a burger and came back) they'd managed to find everything but the TRS cable that comes with it. The morons who work there offered to *sell* me a TRS cable. The manager came to my rescue and saved me the paperwork that would have accompanied justifiably offing them.

In another transaction, I was buying a new guitar. GC, of late, is carrying a LOT less inventory in-store because their credit with a lot of manufacturers is way below par. Their computer showed the guitar in stock at their fulfillment center in, I dunno, Kentucky? So I paid for the guitar, went home to wait for it to appear at the store (always have a new guitar delivered in an unopened box to the store). And then, of course, I got a call that the computer was wrong, and my guitar was backordered, but that they had a shipment coming in from the manufacturer. And then it was delayed, and about a month later the guitar finally arrived and was fine.

I will offer that I've never had a backordered product take a really long time IF it was something that they ordinarily carried. In my case, it was a guitar that they rarely stock in the stores, but that they always offer. The good news is that if you've requested an unopened guitar in a box from the factory, you won't have had something with all the "wall rash..."

Good luck with your purchase.
Well, I had to cancel it. No item in stock, and they don't expect any more shipments since it's been discontinued. Bummer. Guess I'll look for a used one... But they're tough to find in red...

Thanks dspellman for sharing your experience. Always helpful! :-)
A big problem right now with Guitar Center is they are updating stores with a new internal and external computer system, so I'd blame it on that. The way in which they check inventories in their and other stores has completely changed and how they ring up orders in house is changing as well. The friends I have that work in GC hate it and think it's terrible.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
A big problem right now with Guitar Center is they are updating stores with a new internal and external computer system, so I'd blame it on that. The way in which they check inventories in their and other stores has completely changed and how they ring up orders in house is changing as well. The friends I have that work in GC hate it and think it's terrible.

They've also changed banks (again) for their credit cards, as of September, and this is the second time in a year. Last time it went without a hitch, but this time the new bank took on the accounts without noting the preferences, so if you were paperless (to keep the spousal unit off your tail, for example), you got a big old wad of envelope in the mail and were invited to open an account with a bank you've never heard of, etc.

Guitar Center is in some serious financial trouble, and I don't see any signs of it emerging from that condition for a good long while. A lot of vendors have severely limited the inventory credit they'll allow, and most of us have noticed that there are FAR fewer high end guitars on the walls and that there are often no boxes on the shelves *behind* the one on the front of the shelf. A lot more items are "we'll have it shipped in for you." The big tube amps that used to be along the wall, or organized in the middle of the floor are used merchandise, not new. If they're there at all.
Quote by OliveG
Well we must help them and buy more guitars! :-D

Guitar Center doesn't survive on big ticket items. They survive on parents buying the $200 guitar and amp package and guys buying strings, picks, drum heads and sticks, cables. All the small essential stuff.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Guitar Center doesn't survive on big ticket items. They survive on parents buying the $200 guitar and amp package and guys buying strings, picks, drum heads and sticks, cables. All the small essential stuff.

They aren't "surviving" on that stuff, unfortunately.

A lot will depend on this upcoming Holiday Season.
What the hell are we supposed to do if GC goes out of business?

I got a nice 15% off coupon about a month ago which was good for almost anything at the time (usually the list of exceptions is longer than the GoT book series). Next one I get I think I'll order the Ibanez AS93...

Can you negotiate a deal if you order over the phone? I've never tried that...
Quote by OliveG
What the hell are we supposed to do if GC goes out of business?

I got a nice 15% off coupon about a month ago which was good for almost anything at the time (usually the list of exceptions is longer than the GoT book series). Next one I get I think I'll order the Ibanez AS93...

Can you negotiate a deal if you order over the phone? I've never tried that...

Sweetwater, Musician's friend, Axe Palace, ect ect ect. We are in a world where you can shop the price of a guitar to death. You probably don't even need to get GC's 10% standard special. They'll give you 10% if you can form a coherent sentence. Just get it ordered right to your house. I barely buy strings at guitar center anymore because they simply don't carry the gauges I like. Sam Ash does of all things. But for the most part I buy them online. Same with picks.

I liked working at GC when I did (even if it was brief) but their model just doesn't work in the internet age. Your average guitar center is actually about double the size of you see just walking around the front sales area. There's a gigantic warehouse in the back. That's a lot of lights to keep on, employees to pay and space to rent, and stock just sitting there. And in all reality their only advantage over their major online competition is try before you buy.
Quote by dspellman
They aren't "surviving" on that stuff, unfortunately.

A lot will depend on this upcoming Holiday Season.

Agreed. When I worked there we actually moved more pro audio equipment and keyboards than anything during Christmas. I don't recall ever actually having to grab a case/gig bag for a sold Gibson or Taylor more than once or twice. But I carted out tons of PAs and Yamaha 88 keys. That's where the money is apparently.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Nov 1, 2015,
Well how does one get a discount on musician's friend? Call and ask?
Quote by OliveG
Well how does one get a discount on musician's friend? Call and ask?

Sign up for their (and everyone's else's) emails, then wait till around Xmas for the best deals.
Christmas? :-D I don't know... Do they have anything for Black Friday? Like a general coupon you can use on whatever you like? Or you just hope to be lucky and that the model you want will go on sale? Trying to decide if it's worth the wait till the end of the month... How much is the typical coupon?
According to the guy I talked to, there was zero in stock and no orders planned. It's discontinued... I'll just order the Ibanez AS93. :-)
Nevermind, found a somewhat cheap and in supposedly very good condition dot on ebay, I went for that, for now. If I don't love it, won't be too much hassle to sell it and get the AS93 instead...
So, loooong story short... after I was told 5 days ago that the 335 Pro was a discontinued model, that they had none in stock, that they had no shipment planned and "in a nutshell you might as well cancel your order" (well why did you let me order it then ?!), I called GC today because the charge was still showing up in my bank account. Just for the hell of it I asked if they had any in stock. I don't know why I asked. And I don't know why I was told the above 5 days ago... because they did (have some in stock)... I called the store where I was told they had one, the manager had received it like 2 days ago, it was still in its box, unopened. So I ordered that one...

Somewhat my order got messed up again though, because I was asked if I wanted for it to be shipped directly to my house or to the store nearest me, I said "to my house", and it's being shipped to GC anyway. But... as long as it's there I guess it's no big deal. I tried to call earlier tonight to sort it out, got the same guy who processed my order but he asked me to call again tomorrow.

So, after years longing for just one semi-hollow, I'm having a used Dot coming in on Monday, and then hopefully the 335 Pro a few days after that. :-D Funny how things turn out. I guess the Dot is probably going to end up on CL pretty soon. But it'll be fun to have both for a while to compare them...
Last edited by OliveG at Nov 6, 2015,