OK please feel free to delete/close my other thread, I'll be a little more concise here.

I have £500 budget and want a metal guitar that can give me the sounds that I link below.

I play almost always with the first tone at the moment, the mellow one. It's played on my Ibanez GSA-60 which is SSH setup and the mellow tone is the bridge S unless my selector is working back-to-front, hopefully someone can identify this for me because I'm clueless. I thought I was playing with my humbucker the whole time???? What do you hear? (NOTE I AM USING A REAPER EFFECT/AMP SO I'M JUST INTERESTED IN GENERAL IF THESE OTHER GUITARS WILL BE ABLE TO PERFORM LIKE THIS!!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=men8OzWWuTk

I am considering the HSH Strat:

+ I've tried out the Fender neck and enjoyed it a lot compared to my Ibanez RG which I seem to struggle with
+ The white model is fucking beautiful
+ Tremelo but probably not a good one?
+ Seems to have an OK cutaway
+ 21 frets is not ideal
+ Not sure if it can reproduce the mellow metal sad tone I love on my Ibanez gsa-60 (£165 model but second hand but not sure what pickups they are I have a feeling they aren't stock...)

And also the Mockingbird STC:

+ 24 frets
+ Lots of buttons
+ Seems pretty good rating on UG user reviews
+ Never tried a mockingbird/bc rich neck which is a big downside obviously
+ But it says it is jumbo sized neck which I think I like if its like the strats
+ Also not sure if it will give me the tone I want!!!!
+ There is the 2015 Contour Deluxe versions for similar price, with different pickups but no tremelo. As a beginner I think I should get a guitar with a trem don't you? I don't know why someone wouldn't have one but Hide from XJapan didn't have one

Please listen to my video and help me figure out what that "mellow" controlled tone is that I like (at the start of the video) (is it my single coil or my humbucker???)

And any advice on buying would be great. I have briefly tried Epiphone and Yamaha of this sort of price range but I'm even more uncertain of them. I've spent as much time as I've been able to in shops trying out different guitars and still remain totally uncertain but I don't see that fixing anytime soon so I'm sort of ready to make the jump.......
I haven't been able to try out brands like Schecter guitars or anything else, I have no idea about those.

Edit: maybe those tones sound so different because they're bridge VS neck rather than just being S vs H....
Last edited by percydw at Oct 31, 2015,
trems can be a pain to set up. that's why a lot of people say beginners might be better without them. and also changing tunings can be a pain if the trem is floating. it's up to you, though, if you're willing to learn how to set them up they're not too bad.

i haven't tried those specific guitars, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
by set up i'm assuming you mean if i buy it online then i'd have to attach the trem myself (and maintain it i guess)

i've never touched my (2nd hand ibanez) trem so it never occured to me i'd have to screw one on and then adjust the tuning (not that that's a problem)
Last edited by percydw at Oct 31, 2015,
percydw, you should by no means have to attach the trem yourself or even maintain it. Most of the shops sell the guitars setup to standard 10-46 strings (if those come from factory) and to standard EADGBE tuning...
What I've experienced is that you can always call them or mail them or include it in your order if you want different strings and tuning, naturally for a fee, but if you're a beginner, it's a good thing to do. This is the practice I've seen most shops have.

Now, this is very important: Don't buy a guitar from a store that just has low prices and all, be safe and buy from a well-known store, for example, Sweetwater if you're in the US or Andertons if you're in the UK. Compare prices and ask if a store can match that, maybe they can, who knows.

Good luck!

And to your edit in your first post, yes, that is mostly why they sound so radically different. A single pickup will sound "weaker" than your bridge humbucker. Your guitar is a HSS and the first position, furthest from the neck, is your bridge pickup (most likely, or then it has been oddly dealt with) and the closest to your neck is your neck pickup. You can check this by carefully tapping the pickup with say a screwdriver (some say this is malpractice, nothing has happened to my pickups though) to check the different positions and hear which one is on.

Sorry for the long post, hope this clears something for you.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

i dont know what to do anymore so i think im gonna just wait it out and maybe get a one-off lesson (or a few lessons?) from someone local so i can try their setup and get them to try mine and get some more experience
i cud easily stick out £500 for a hss or hsh strat or mockinbird or any random ibanez (i was even looking at £600-700 seven strings :/) or i could even just get a new superbudget guitar like ... a mustang? idk. but i think i've managed to go yet another week without being able to come to a decision

i tapped using my pick by the way and it was fine
looks like i've been playing most of the time using my ibanez single coil neck pickup lol. so that sort of told me that i just outright like the sound of ibanezes (the problem if you recall is i struggle to barre with ibanez compared to strat shapes e.g. the Bb barre)? or maybe i like SSH setups? i just give up
Last edited by percydw at Nov 1, 2015,
I have to agree with Dave_Mc here, floyd rose trems are tremendously irksome to cope with, setting them properly is just a pain in the ass, especially if you are not careful/patient enough.

As you might know, Hide of X Japan used to play a mockingbird replica, but not the real thing. It was his signature model which has been manufactured by the Burny line from good old Fernandes. As the matter of fact, he didn't need a trem due to his playing style and technique though, but he had a sustainer system equipped on all of his guitars, which he utilized to produce a whammy-ish effect and his unique sound. YES!!!... I'm a HUGE fan of Hide and X Japan (check out my profile)

I don't really get the point of your last post. If you mean that you are not able to do barre shape chords with Ibanez necks, then you should know this is quite normal given that Ibanez necks usually have somewhat flat radius, unlike the curvy necks of strats, which tend to be much easier (especially for thinner fingers) to do barres.

Also, it is worth mentioning that extra jumbo frets are easier to barre on than jumbo frets (at least for me), the whole jumbo term is used to describe the size of frets not neck contour BTW.

Anyway, I guess the brand/model of pickups is what eventually matters. The bridge pickup on my Ibanez RGA yields in a very hot output which is perfect for metal.
Last edited by aozen at Nov 1, 2015,
i didn't know that it was because strats are curvier, i first thought it was because strat necks were "jumbo" sized and that made it better for my hand shape (but eventually figured out that jumbo refers to fret depth and is compeltely dfifferent. and i see you explained that too )

literally just this minute i tried making the A-shape barre chord by barring the low e string instead of barely touching it (like the JustinGuitar video told me to do 6 months ago) and discovered suddenly and with extreme surprise that i could more easily perform it that way. so now i am totally going to the shop tomorrow to try out the ibanezes with that in mind (but also you said they will still be harder than strats for new reason!! agh curse you). (btw i know you're not supposed to strike the low e string in the A-shape barre because it drops below the root or something but i can just not strike it even though i'm barring it right).

also thanks for explaining why hide doesn't use a trem, i'm still unclear why they would be a pain in the ass though, i'm guessing that they need re-adjusting every so often and can detune the guitar (but i thought for the "floyd rose" ones that wasnt a problem)

ok i'm going to stop this guitar malarky its been like 48 hours of nonstop reading and browsing i'm gonna collapse lol. hopefully will try out some again tomorrow evening after work tho with my improved understandings and new A-shape chord technique
Last edited by percydw at Nov 1, 2015,
Quote by percydw
also thanks for explaining why hide doesn't use a trem, i'm still unclear why they would be a pain in the ass though, i'm guessing that they need re-adjusting every so often and can detune the guitar (but i thought for the "floyd rose" ones that wasnt a problem)

Floyd Roses are a pain to set up at first. It takes a bit of a learning curve to change the strings, tune the damn thing, adjust spring tension to be equal to string tension, etc. You also have to take the bridge out to adjust the action unless you want to wreck down the knife edges. It's not that difficult to take the bridge out though, and takes only a few seconds to put it on again.

Intonating a floyd rose can take ages too, but if you block it with a simple piece of wood, it should take less time. Also, if you want to change the tuning on a Floyd Rose, you have to set it up again, same if changing string gauge. So if you're going for a Floyd Rose, stick to one tuning and one gauge.

After some time you eventually get used to it. A floyd rose is a difficult beast to tame, but it's definitely worth it. You just need to have the patience to learn how it works and its tricks.
Last edited by DanyFS at Nov 1, 2015,
that BC Rich comes in a hardtail version so perhaps i'd look at that. if you don't need a trem then get a guitar without one and save yourself the hassle (coming from a trem user). i really like that Mockingbird as it is really versatile in terms of tones you can get. the large neck can be a downside but you can get used to it (i also play a strat and have a very thin neck SG). an HSH super strat can of course be very veratile as well but most likely will lack some fo the tonal options that BC Rich has.