I currently have a TH30 and am kind of on the fence about it. LOVE the cleans on both channels. The clean channel is pristine and loud and the dirty channel does the Dark Terror cleans which are among my favorite (some shimmery magic with the extra gain stage).

The dirty channel has a kind of loose fizz distortion. Even with a boost and 10-band in the loop I can only tighten it up so far. I tune low in drop B and use a 7 in F#.

I was interested in some way to get a good modern high gain tone out of this- maybe one of the fancy Bogner/VHT/ISP pedals. It would be sweet to be able to get an awesom d00m tone and modern tone out of the same amp.

Anyone try anything like this?
Does your OD pedal have an additional bass knob? If not, an OD with that function could really help. A Green Rhino, MXR Custom Modified Badass OD (what I have) or even a Bad Monkey could do this. While most ODs have some degree of bass cut, on some amps it's not enough. When I modded my 6505+'s lead channel to 5150 specs I found that it was a bit too bassy and loose even with a TS-9. But with my MXR I could cut even more bass with the knob and it tightened right up. I can even cut it all the way and then it gets that djent sound (which I hate, personally -- but it shows how versatile the pedal can be).
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Just out of curiousity, what are you using for a cab / speakers?
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I use a Maxon OD808... works well with most amps but I have been curious about the Green Rhino and a few others.

Mainly just wondering if anyone has had luck with fancier distortion pedals (for example Bogner Uberschall Distortion... stuff like that) in general or specifically with the TH30. I just hate to gamble the cash.

These are the cabs I use- Emperor 2x12 with Eminence Legend V12's. I have owned lots of cabs and tried many speakers/combinations in these and ended up liking the V12's best. Great for both high gain and cleans.

Last edited by cGoEcYk at Nov 2, 2015,
When I had my TH30 I never tried a distortion pedal through it but with an OD and EQ in the loop I was able to get it to sound pretty massive. Not sure what sound you're after. Sounds like you have a pretty decent set up already.

I might be wrong on this but with it only being 30 watts are you missing some low end? I know that was one complaint I had with mine, there was not enough low end tightness/punch. With you already tuning low it makes me think that that might be an issue. Could be wrong on this. Have you tried it through a 4x12?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
If you are looking for entirely different voicing from your amp (which it sounds like you are) then getting a quality high gain pedal might be just what you need. I have heard mixed things about the Bogner pedals, but ISP is always a good bet, and AMT has their legend series which is supposed to be awesome.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by bobafettacheese
When I had my TH30 I never tried a distortion pedal through it but with an OD and EQ in the loop I was able to get it to sound pretty massive. Not sure what sound you're after. Sounds like you have a pretty decent set up already.

I might be wrong on this but with it only being 30 watts are you missing some low end? I know that was one complaint I had with mine, there was not enough low end tightness/punch. With you already tuning low it makes me think that that might be an issue. Could be wrong on this. Have you tried it through a 4x12?
That could be a missing ingredient as well.

Also, amptweaker pedals.