Page 1 of 2
Tomorrow is the first Tuesday in November which in the Australian state of Victoria is a public holiday due to the Melbourne cup

What (strange) local public holidays do you have?
I don't get any holidays off

And we don't really have any peculiar ones to speak of
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
none
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Christopher Columbus was a mass murder who kicked off the genocide of North and South Americas' indigenous peoples. But since he was white and his victims were not he gets a national holiday in the USA.
We celebrate both the birth and the death of a man who may or may not have existed and claimed to be the son of God.

How peculiar!
This isn't coincidence
there's no such
thing
Quote by soapalot
We celebrate both the birth and the death of a man who may or may not have existed and claimed to be the son of God.

How peculiar!

this is partially incorrect

Jesus was an actual documented historical figure afaik
Quote by jpnyc at #33662733
Christopher Columbus was a mass murder who kicked off the genocide of North and South Americas' indigenous peoples. But since he was white and his victims were not he gets a national holiday in the USA.

Quote by weezergeek182 at #33662865
A long time ago part of the country thought you should be able to own people, and the other part thought that you should not. Millions of people died and we celebrate the dead by not owning people and having Memorial Day.

Quote by soapalot at #33662944

How peculiar!

it's like I'm in 10th grade again
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
white people killing not-white people wooooo
america killing not america people woooooo
christrians appropriating paganism wooooooo

superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by Pastafarian96
Jesus was an actual documented historical figure afaik

There are no contemporary records for the existence of Jesus. None. There is no more reason to believe Jesus was a historical figure than there are for believing that Thor and Osiris were historical figures.
i always thought tacitus's history was universally accepted at recognising that there was a figure called "christ" but idk i could be wrong.
superman is killing himself tonight
Hmm, big hat day.
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."
Quote by Pastafarian96
Tomorrow is the first Tuesday in November which in the Australian state of Victoria is a public holiday due to the Melbourne cup

What (strange) local public holidays do you have?

Really, Melbourne cup is a stranger public holiday than Grand Final Eve?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
In Glasgow, there's 'Fair Friday', though in practice it's been a bank holiday Monday for years instead, because the Cooncil. Dates back to the 12th century, takes place in the second half of July.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
We have "Bevrijdingsdag" (liberation day), on which we celebrate the liberation of the country at the end of ww2, and we have "Koningsdag" (king's day), on which we celebrate the king's birthday.
None we just have these random bank holidays always clustered around May then one in August for no reason and then nothing til Christmas and New Years
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Really, Melbourne cup is a stranger public holiday than Grand Final Eve?

I was trying to hide that semi embarrassment in my eyes from the foreign people.
I still maintain the stupidest public holiday that exists in Australia is Grand Final Eve public holiday.

It is literally a day off before a big football match. Nothing happens, and businesses lose truckloads of money.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by Baby Joel
i always thought tacitus's history was universally accepted at recognising that there was a figure called "christ" but idk i could be wrong.

This is what I was referring to, Tacitus wrote of Jesus' execution by Pilate. And compared to the other ancient historians, Tacitus has a far less biased view.
Quote by i_lovemetallica
I still maintain the stupidest public holiday that exists in Australia is Grand Final Eve public holiday.

It is literally a day off before a big football match. Nothing happens, and businesses lose truckloads of money.

hence embarassing shit
Quote by Pastafarian96
hence embarassing shit

Then again, more relevant than the Queen's Birthday
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Then again, more relevant than the Queen's Birthday

I'd still rather celebrate an elderly woman that I've never met's birthday than us having a day off before a footy match.
Quote by Pastafarian96
I'd still rather celebrate an elderly woman that I've never met's birthday than us having a day off before a footy match.

I'd rather have a public holiday whenever this champ makes a gaffe, sort of like an apology to those who were offended.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by yoman297
We have Islander Day

http://www.gov.pe.ca/infopei/islanderday

it's a statutory holiday, which means we get a day off school and work and stuff

for no reason

it's amazing

Hiya from Dartmouth
If you have never checked out the Wood Brothers. Do yourself a favor and look them up. Best. Band. Ever.

Quote by WCPhils
it's like I'm in 10th grade again

10th grade never ends
There are many holidays here that I don't actually know what they're meant to represent and I instead see them as an opportunity to buy things 'cause they're on sale.
Free Ali
New Year - novo leto

Prešeren Day, the Slovenian Cultural Holiday - Prešernov dan, slovenski kulturni praznik

Easter Sunday and Monday - velikonočna nedelja in ponedeljek, velika noč

Day of Uprising Against Occupation - dan upora proti okupatorju

May Day Holiday - praznik dela

Whit Sunday - binkoštna nedelja, binkošti

Primož Trubar Day - dan Primoža Trubarja

Statehood Day - dan državnosti

Assumption Day - Marijino vnebovzetje (veliki šmaren)

Day of Slovenes in Prekmurje Incorporated into the Mother Nation - združitev prekmurskih Slovencev z matičnim narodom

Day of Restoration of the Littoral Region to the Motherland - vrnitev Primorske k matični domovini

Sovereignty Day - dan suverenosti

Reformation Day - dan reformacije

Day (of Remembrance) of the Dead - dan spomina na mrtve / dan mrtvih

Rudolf Maister Day - dan Rudolfa Maistra

Christmas - božič

Independence and Unity Day - dan samostojnosti in enotnosti

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I find Prešeren Day pretty weird because we celebrate his death instead of his birth. It's kinda odd to celebrate the death of your greatest poet.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
We do that too in Portugal, and it's even Portugal's national day, but it's because his date of birth isn't known. Anyway, loads of bank holidays stopped existing as part of the austerity measures so if we had any ridiculous one (which I don't think we did), we don't anymore.
We pretty much only have christian holidays and king's day here. Really shows we are not as progressive as we think.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11 at #33663508
We pretty much only have christian holidays and king's day here. Really shows we are not as progressive as we think.

I think it's more a case of people going "meh, good enough" or "...well, alright then" rather than people going "let's keep our old practices and morals in tact because kids grumblegrumble smartphones grumble in the good old days grumble!"
Quote by ultimate-slash
I think it's more a case of people going "meh, good enough" or "...well, alright then" rather than people going "let's keep our old practices and morals in tact because kids grumblegrumble smartphones grumble in the good old days grumble!"

But do we really need public holidays?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by i_lovemetallica
I'd rather have a public holiday whenever this champ makes a gaffe, sort of like an apology to those who were offended.

OK, so would you like to set a date(or date-determining algorithm, should you wish it to be a Friday/Monday for long weekend drinking) for Racist Old Guy Day?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by jpnyc
There are no contemporary records for the existence of Jesus. None. There is no more reason to believe Jesus was a historical figure than there are for believing that Thor and Osiris were historical figures.

Theres no reasonable historian that would try to argue Jesus didn't exist anddo atleast a portion of the things in the Biblical record.
I think Columbus day is weird. What are you even supposed to celebrate besides having a day off/going shopping?

I have MAJOR issues with the distribution of public holidays in Singapore but idk if anyone wants to hear about that it really makes my blood boil tho
cat
Quote by guitarxo
I think Columbus day is weird. What are you even supposed to celebrate besides having a day off/going shopping?

I have MAJOR issues with the distribution of public holidays in Singapore but idk if anyone wants to hear about that it really makes my blood boil tho

I wouldn't have made this thread if I didn't want to know about public holidays, good or in this case, bad in a way.

What's up with Singaporean public holidays?
Quote by Pastafarian96
What's up with Singaporean public holidays?

I read this in Jerry Seinfeld's voice.
Page 1 of 2