Anyone have experience with their alnico II, alnico V, or classic 59's and have an opinion?
Quote by columbiar
Anyone have experience with their alnico II, alnico V, or classic 59's and have an opinion?

I have the Fat Pat in a LP clone and it sounds really nice, it replaced a Dimarzio SD. The VEH is also a good sounding pickup.

I have also had good results with the Tele Lil punchers

Some of their pickups are great, some are not that great. The Surf 180 is the one pickup I really didn't like at all but all I had was the neck version
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
GFS pickups are a decent inexpensive upgrade over stock import pickups. In my experience they're not quite as clear and dynamic as pickups from big name and boutique manufacturers, but they're also only a fraction of the cost. I had a Dream 180 and a Dream 90 for a while and I thought they were decent. Not amazing, but better than the stock Ibanez pickups they replaced in my Artcore. The samples I've heard of their Alnico II and V pickups sound really good, especially the Professional Series.

FYI - stay away from anything labelled OEM overstock or clearance from them. Those are cheaper made and don't sound as good as their regular and pro lines.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
I have a pair of 59's in a Dean V and like them quite a bit. I sprang for new push-pull pots to add coil splitting, which comes in handy once in a while.

What I like about GFS pickups is that if i try them and find out that they're not really what I wanted, I'm not out a huge amount of money. I'm a lot more willing to take a chance if it's $30 a pickup instead of $150.
Quote by Robbgnarly

Some of their pickups are great, some are not that great.

I'd have pretty much the same opinion, but substitute "good" for "great."
Remember that pickup sound is VERY subjective, and pretty much one of the last tweaks you'd make to a rig to adjust the overall sound. It should not be the first thing you think of to address perceived shortcomings.
Quote by dspellman
I'd have pretty much the same opinion, but substitute "good" for "great."
Remember that pickup sound is VERY subjective, and pretty much one of the last tweaks you'd make to a rig to adjust the overall sound. It should not be the first thing you think of to address perceived shortcomings.

I was meaning great for $35
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The GFS pickups are pretty nice, although I will say I didn't enjoy the set of REDactives I had. I found them rather dull, if not muddy sounding and sounded absolutely choked and thin with any kind of clean/low gain sound.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.