Hi guys. I'm a guitarist, but not really a rock guitarist. Recently I've been checking out some of the rock guitar hero types, and I've been wondering how they get some of the tones they use. There are some very cool tones on the main melody to 'Curve' from the John Petrucci solo album, Steve Vai's 'Crying Machine' around 2:45, and 'Ultra Zone' around 1:14.

Any Petrucci/Vai fans here know what pedals, settings etc, went into making those sounds?
Those are whammy bar tricks.

Petrucci is depressing it and then letting go as he hits the notes, called a scoop.
Crying machine he is constantly do a vibrato with it.
Ultra zone he is using a flick/flutter technique.

This video shows some. http://youtu.be/-7IWOnJAqWs Not angers good video but it gets the point across
Thanks for your reply. I'd never realised you could get that much mileage out of a whammy bar.
Damn that is a terrible video.

One thing to note that was not mentioned above, is that they use Floyd Rose, a Strat tremolo will not do that. You need a double locking tremolo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Damn that is a terrible video.

One thing to note that was not mentioned above, is that they use Floyd Rose, a Strat tremolo will not do that. You need a double locking tremolo.

actually john petrucci uses a non locking trem that is closer to a fender style than a floyd. a fender style trem set to float can do more than you might think (see jeff beck for unbelieveable whammy madness)
Quote by monwobobbo
actually john petrucci uses a non locking trem that is closer to a fender style than a floyd. a fender style trem set to float can do more than you might think (see jeff beck for unbelieveable whammy madness)

shit, yea i wasn't thinking straight. i have played quite a few jp ebmm's too.

i have some strats (two now, i have had over a dozen), and i honestly haven't ever been happy with them floating. that is just me though. i agree though that they can float much better than made out to be by people often say they are.

i can get about 4 semitones higher on my ibbys or more, and it stays in tune perfectly.

however the JP trem is absolutely brilliant, and very smooth.

FWIW the s series ibanez trems are pretty nice too, yes they are double locking, but the ball bearing contact is pretty smooth.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/