My Ibanez RG7321 has a Duncan JB in the bridge but it's way too muddy for the amount of gain I need. Would love to put EMGs in it but that would require routing so what are some 7 string pickups that will not be muddy and will have a high output?
Baby Joel's rabbit profile picture is kinda cute. #TeamJOEL
I think that describes nearly every 7-string pickup on earth. What amp and more specific tonal goals do you have?

Why do you think you'd need to route for EMGs? There aren't many guitars that are too tight for the 9v battery, are you sure yours is one of them?
This is a common problem with 321's. They seem to naturally prefer very bright bridge pickups, mostly likely because the bridge pickup is positioned pretty far forwards of the bridge itself, so a lot of pickups that would otherwise sound fine in most guitars get too muddy in the 321's.

You also don't need to route the back of the guitar out to fit active pickups. Most guitars have enough space in the control cavity to accommodate the battery.

It seems odd that you're having that problem with the JB of all pickups. They're naturally pretty bright. Strangely it's one of those pickups that can sound great in some guitars and sound crap in others.

What amp are you using? What are your EQ settings? How much gain are you using? The way you EQ a 7 string is not the same as one should EQ a 6 string imo. You don't need as much gain or as much bass with 7's as they produce a lot more bass frequencies by their nature of being tuned lower.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 2, 2015,
I heard something about routing where the pick up goes, not the back. Anyways, I'm using a Bugera 333 head, which I've never had problems with. The gain on my lead channel is 4 and my rhythm is 7. In my old guitar with EMGs I could get a heavier, less muddy tone with the gain a lot lower. I scooped a lot of bass out and boosted the mids with my 7 string
Yeah, it is indeed weird that you're saying the JB is muddy, it's definitely quite bright.

But still, from what you're saying especially that you want more brightness and more output, I guess look at the SD Nazgul? Sounds like it fits everything you're looking for.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
You shouldn't need to route the pickup cavity. EMGs fit anywhere a standard humbucker does, it's just down to finding room for the battery.

Someone can probably chime in for your RG model specifically, but I can't think of an instance where a guitar with traditional humbuckers won't fit EMGs, aside from the battery issue. I bet a few people have dropped EMGs in your particular model.
Quote by PiercedBand
I heard something about routing where the pick up goes, not the back. Anyways, I'm using a Bugera 333 head, which I've never had problems with. The gain on my lead channel is 4 and my rhythm is 7. In my old guitar with EMGs I could get a heavier, less muddy tone with the gain a lot lower. I scooped a lot of bass out and boosted the mids with my 7 string

What does the current guitar lack that couldn't simply be corrected by adjusting the amp's EQ? It just seems very counterintuitive for a pickup like a JB to be so muddy, which leads me to suspect that the real problem is something else. If the JB is too muddy given the circumstances, then the EMG's aren't going to solve that problem either.

And why put EMG's in the guitar when you already have a guitar with EMG's in it? Why not see this as an opportunity to broaden your horizons by putting in something different?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 2, 2015,
I noticed a few months back my tubes are getting a lot weaker. I'm going to replace those soon and see if that changes anything
Quote by Roc8995
You shouldn't need to route the pickup cavity. EMGs fit anywhere a standard humbucker does, it's just down to finding room for the battery.

Someone can probably chime in for your RG model specifically, but I can't think of an instance where a guitar with traditional humbuckers won't fit EMGs, aside from the battery issue. I bet a few people have dropped EMGs in your particular model.

Traditionally (though not any more) EMG 7 string models were in soapbar bass houses with slightly different dimensions from normal pickups and as such use different routing.

Anyway, maybe try a Duncan Distortion?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Didn't know that. The new ones are in a standard 7-string humbucker housing, though? Do you know when they made that change?

I never noticed a significant size difference in EMG's 7 string pickups (though I haven't exactly spent a lot of time with them) so I assumed that since their other pickups drop in, those should too. Thanks for the correction.
^ I believe there are two different versions. From what I've seen most EMGs stock in guitars come in the rectangular-ish soapbar shape (same for SD Blackouts), but can also be bought in the more rounded shape which should fit as a replacement for a passive humbucker.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Quote by Roc8995
Didn't know that. The new ones are in a standard 7-string humbucker housing, though? Do you know when they made that change?

I never noticed a significant size difference in EMG's 7 string pickups (though I haven't exactly spent a lot of time with them) so I assumed that since their other pickups drop in, those should too. Thanks for the correction.

It was within the last year or 2 that they changed.

And yeah, they're a little smaller in overall width, plus with wider corners.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The JB7 shouldn't be muddy at all- it is pretty bright. Before you go changing to actives (and changing out the pots and jack), you may consider the Nazgul for a high output passive pickup that is certainly not muddy.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
That Nazgul is definitely on my mind, as are the D Activators; however, I will change the tubes first and see if that will give it a kick in the balls
Quote by Mincer
The JB7 shouldn't be muddy at all- it is pretty bright. Before you go changing to actives (and changing out the pots and jack), you may consider the Nazgul for a high output passive pickup that is certainly not muddy.

The JB is honestly pretty muddy when you get down that low. I would never bother with a JB (6 or 7) below about D standard.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Well I haven't done any "proper" downtuning on my guitar with those yet (only weird shit like tuning down to drop B with a 10-46 set for a few minutes when I felt like it ), but indeed while it is quite bright and generally very clear and articulate, it does not seem to have that "modern" kind of clear definition with low notes. It's also Alnico, not ceramic, which makes it a bit different from most pickups you'll see on 7-strings and doesn't sound as aggressive as most of the latter.

Still, if you already have a guitar with EMGs and really decide you want to swap them for something else, I'd probably experiment with something passive. More variety is cool.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
How do you guys think a pair of Duncan Blackouts would be in it? I'm not sure what pair would be best though since there's 4 different ones
Blackouts can get a tad muddy at super low tunings if you don't have a way to cut a little more bass going into the amp. If you do that, they're plenty clear. I do that with my OD pedal by setting the bass knob to cut a little more bass than what the pedal already does on a neutral setting. Sounds killer in my Schecter V, but I don't tune terribly low on that guitar -- C# Standard and occasionally I drop the 6th string to B. Never lower.

That said, if you're already complaining about muddyness, I've got a better recommendation that won't require switching to actives: SD Black Winter 7s.

They are pretty bright, but have a nice balance of lows, mids, and highs. I have the 6-string version and have tuned as low as drop-B and they remained clear, tight, and brutal. They have a great deal of output too. The thing about Nazguls is that they tend to get a djenty tone no matter what. I don't know if you're after that or not. BWs are not that way; they're tight without the low-end sounding "clanky" and anemic. (Djent, in other words )
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Nov 5, 2015,
The Mick Thomson Blackouts shouldn't be muddy with low 7 string tunings. They were designed to combat that. You get more highs than lows and mids, yet you still get tight lows.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan