I've never done any (decent) recording before. I'm looking to record my full band. We have to record guitar, keyboard, drums, bass, and vocals. Should I get a mixer or an audio interface? Is it possible to record all of us all at once? What equipment will I need? The only thing I'm not concerned about is the DAW. If you could recommend specific products or Brands, it'd be greatly appreciated. Budget is about $300.
You should read the introduction to recording sticky.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
1) do not get a mixer - they are pointless if you have a Daw.
2) get an audio interface with 8 inputs - Tascam has a cheap one, otherwise Focusrite, Steinberg, Roland etc all make decent interfaces.
3) recording together has its challenges, sound quality being the main one. If you record separately use a click track.
Quote by robpm9995
I've never done any (decent) recording before. I'm looking to record my full band. We have to record guitar, keyboard, drums, bass, and vocals. Should I get a mixer or an audio interface? Is it possible to record all of us all at once? What equipment will I need? The only thing I'm not concerned about is the DAW. If you could recommend specific products or Brands, it'd be greatly appreciated. Budget is about $300.

What are your plans for this recording? Do you want to record multitrack or live stereo? If multitrack do you already have a dozen decent mics to make a live multitrack recording possible?

Maybe a simple stereo demo is a better option on a low budget. Play with mic location and you can often get excellent results with one of these:
http://www.musicalsupplydirect.com/pro-audio/recording/audio-recorders/zoom-h1-handy-recorder-b-stock-with-full-warranty-battery-and-micro-sd-card/?CAWELAID=520007530000001155&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=520007530000010138&cadevice=t&gclid=COeKgPHb9MgCFRSIfgodn1oCDQ
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 3, 2015,
Get a studio package, usually you can cut demo package at $400 nowadays, rehearse the songs and go in the studio. Much easier than messing with any of the above options.

That way they'll have the possibility to isolate your sounds and record properly.

Demo recording in a room - might as well do it on a cheapie stereo mic or off an iPhone just to hear what you sound like.

If you get a mixer you'll have to be able to plug everyone in and record in stereo, multitrack interface - same thing but do it on a PC and isolate the signals.

So most likely you'll need one mic for each instrument or direct out and drum mics are where things get expensive, you'll have to buy multipack, at least one for kick, snare and condenser for overheads or 2 condensers for stereo overheads.

It is much easier to go into a studio and see how it is done and if you think it is worth it, either save up for a good setup or save up for better demo second time around.
A full band... For $300...

Dude, I hate to break it to you, but $300 would barely cover studio time plus an engineer for 8 hours on the extreme low end. Like, my tracking rate is quite low at $20/hr.

It's literally impossible to do anything other than maybe a couple of mics in the room for that kind of money on your own, and even then that's pushing it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 3, 2015,
Well, local demo studios around here go $40-$60 an hour with house engineer.
Some offer demo packages for $350-$400 which are either 6-8 hours or 4 songs with mixing and mastering. Well, you're not gonna get Bob Rock for that cash but it will most likely sound better than your effort in the first one to two years.
Let me suggest something more practical for your situation. Buy a standalone digital recorder like the Tascam DP24 or 32. These decks can record 8 channels simultaneously with no computer assistance. Everything you need to record your band is in the one box. Plenty of effects (compressors, delays, reverbs etc.). They record to an SD card so you can do your final mix, save it to the card, put the card in your computer (via a card reader or SD card slot) and burn discs. If you want to mix your initial tracks on a computer later the tracks are on the SD card. The Tascam also includes some very basic but useful built in mastering tools for your final mixes. The quality is excellent and for about $450 you can have it all in one portable studio with 32 tracks.

It's an economical way to get started without upgrading a computer, buying recording software, buying an interface and dealing with all the tech issues that come with it. Maybe down the road you want to go that way but for now I suggest this method. I have both a computer set up for recording and an older Tascam 2488. My Tascam gets lots of use.
Attachments:
dp-24_top 2.jpg
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Nov 4, 2015,
If you are approaching it from the view of being a musician with no recording experience, which seems to be the case, then you will be limited in your options.

The easiest and cheapest way is to buy a cheap interface and a vocal mic. Record guitars and bass DI and either use freeware amp sims or pay someone to reamp them. Use a drum machine for drums, and a plugin synth for keyboards. Record the vocals using the mic.

If you do that you can probably get it all recorded for under $300, whether you can get it mixed for whatever you have left is a different question.