Hi everybody!

I’m looking for my first tube amp to go with my beloved Gretsch 5422 and I’m getting sick of watching too many youtube videos late at night!

At the moment, I’m torn between Hugues & Kettner tubemeister 18, Laney CUB10, and Palmer fab5.

Those 3 amps tick all the boxes for my needs: I want a good sounding tube amp with an attenuator to play at neighbour-friendly volume. And I'd like some twang and nice crunch too...

Has anyone tried and compared them?

I can’t go in a shop to try them (and the Palmer is not widely available), and I feel that youtube videos don’t tell the whole story and that you hear what you want to hear according to which amp you have a crush on at this particular moment!

I’m really looking for opinions on the actual sound of those amps, and not a compared feature list (that I can find on the web

Cheers!
Only one of I've tried out of these is the Cub10, and I thought it sounded pretty dull. It's been a couple of years, so it's hard to recall details though. I think I remember a lack of treble and a very middy sound overall. The 12R might be better, at least it seems so from youtube videos.

Also don't get too hung-up on the attenuator. Imo a master-volume does just as well for most applications. Something like a Fender Blues Junior might be just fine for you, but I'm not sure how much overdrive you need. How distorted do you go (naming a band or artist for reference would help)?
^ dude!

I haven't tried any but the tubemeister isn't all-tube if you have your heart set on that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
[quote="Also don't get too hung-up on the attenuator. Imo a master-volume does just as well for most applications. Something like a Fender Blues Junior might be just fine for you, but I'm not sure how much overdrive you need. How distorted do you go (naming a band or artist for reference would help)?

Well, anything from a country/rockabilly slightly dirty twang to sabbath....

But I'd really like to experience the real breakup sound of a tube amp (clean it up with the volume of the guitar, get some overdrive with the pick attack etc)
That's why I'm looking for a (good sounding) attenuator in the amp

With a Fender Blues Junior, I'd have to play too loud to get this type of sound?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ dude!

I haven't tried any but the tubemeister isn't all-tube if you have your heart set on that

It still sounds great though. The 36 with the extra tube sounds better.
H&K are great for DI thanks to the Redbox emulator. Haven't played that amp exactly but I think the HK will be most versatile in your situation. Go for the 36 though, as mentioned it has more tubes in the signal path.

Overall HK do some voodoo with what happens to tubes in their signal paths and wouldn't disclose it (try to get schematic from them and they become mum), while they market as "all tube", they're doing some tricks in there that seem more like they're using tubes in non-traditional schematic way to run them, especially in their preamps. Kinda like Blackstar, who is also doing some "tube voodoo" and tweaking things for marketing purposes.

They sound good though so...I guess that matters unless you're really dead set on having an all tube amp. In that case DSL40C, Traynor YCV50B, Orange TT and so forth...
Quote by dspellman
What did they say when you ran this same thread on TGP?

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by TheQuailman
^long time no see.

Quote by bish0p3473
It still sounds great though. The 36 with the extra tube sounds better.

it may well do, i haven't tried it. but i just wanted to make sure he knew so he can make his own mind up.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LouisXIIIV
Well, anything from a country/rockabilly slightly dirty twang to sabbath....

But I'd really like to experience the real breakup sound of a tube amp (clean it up with the volume of the guitar, get some overdrive with the pick attack etc)
That's why I'm looking for a (good sounding) attenuator in the amp

With a Fender Blues Junior, I'd have to play too loud to get this type of sound?

Well country/rockabilly= clean and bright, and Sabbath= Relatively dark and dirty. You won't find one amp that is great for both.

The Vox Laney VC15/30 might be something to look into, since it's supposed to sound somewhat similar to an AC30, which is used by many country musicians. The gain channel should be able to fit your needs as well.