Page 1 of 2
Hi guys

I really wonder who suggested this abalone binding to ESP especially in the LTD EC models. I can take a small abalone binding around the body but all over the fretboard... for me, it looks awful !!!!!!!!

What do you think?

Imagine this beautiful EC-1000QM without this shit on the fretboard.. I would buy it tomorrow !!!

'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM (With Upgrades)
Laney IRT Studio (IRT112 Cab)
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Quote by dspellman
No one will notice at any distance past the front row of your audience.

The point is that my audience are "me"
I am 99% home player doing few recording from time to time... so the main audience I want to please is just myself
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
I agree, the bling is really horrible-looking and for years it made me point my nose up at them. But they put it there for a reason -the kids spending daddy's money like it.

Fortunately there are lots of 1000 models out there that don't have it, like the VB and the 1000-T.
Quote by dspellman
No one will notice at any distance past the front row of your audience.

Missing the point, much?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Be nice if they had less blinged out ec1000's that cost less. Or had the quality upped. But I guess that's LTD's idea of deluxe!

For the same price, you can find used Eclipses. Like the one I picked up this summer:

Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I agree, the bling is really horrible-looking and for years it made me point my nose up at them. But they put it there for a reason -the kids spending daddy's money like it.

Fortunately there are lots of 1000 models out there that don't have it, like the VB and the 1000-T.

Missing the point, much?

When I saw the EC1000T I fell in love with it due to the traditional body but unfortunately it is not available at the dealer in Egypt. In the EC-1000 models I would be between EC-1000S Duncan or EC-1000VB Duncan.
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Yeah I totally agree. I cant stand abalone on guitars. Every time I see a Minarik I get nauseous...

There are a few Schecters too that could be pretty sweet if they lost the abalone.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by DarthV
Be nice if they had less blinged out ec1000's that cost less. Or had the quality upped. But I guess that's LTD's idea of deluxe!

For the same price, you can find used Eclipses. Like the one I picked up this summer:

awesome guitar

unfortunately only brand new E-II are available in Egypt which is double the price of EC1000... I can't find any used and I don't prefer to get a guitar online...
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Not a big fan of "too much abalone", but I still prefer it over the "vintage" style of "finish like old furniture with a weird coloured pickguard that matches fuck all" which is a plague with singlecuts.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Honestly, this is one of their top selling models. So naturally it would seem a LOT of people disagree with your viewpoint.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Quote by CustomAxe
Honestly, this is one of their top selling models. So naturally it would seem a LOT of people disagree with your viewpoint.

My viewpoint is more important than everyone elses.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by CustomAxe

Maybe if people only bought guitars on looks then that point would hold more weight.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Matter of taste. I think it looks stunning. Bought my h1001 because of it. And I'm a daddy. 50 odd years old and spent my own money. lol.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Again, I can stand the abalone binding on body... even the abalone binding on the Ibanez ARZIR20 is awesome.. but abalone through all fretboard... yukkk
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Well if everyone liked the same thing there would be only one type/colour of guitar and how boring that would be
Yeah I think that too many metal guitars go a bit overboard, but hey, I like plain top guitars with no neck binding and minimalistic looks all around. I recently ordered a tortoiseshell pickguard for my Musicman, but that's about as fancy as I go.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I honestly don't mind it all that much, and I really don't spend a lot of time staring at the fronts of my guitars. Would be a different story if I were staring at myself in my bedroom mirror, I suppose.
Quote by dspellman
I honestly don't mind it all that much, and I really don't spend a lot of time staring at the fronts of my guitars. Would be a different story if I were staring at myself in my bedroom mirror, I suppose.

hahaa no I am not that kinda guy.. I don't play in from of mirror... but I just care too much about how my new guitar should look
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Yeah, I can definitely understand that, I also find looks important, as, you know, you'll probably be looking at the guitar most of the time while playing it so it's nice if it doesn't hurt your eyes. :P And it's nice to just take a look at it sometimes and go "OMG IT'S SO PRETTY AND CUTE AND IT'S ALL MINE <3 ".

Although honestly I don't think the guitar mentioned here is a big issue, I'd cut down on the abalone a little but it's okay. The second ESP someone posted later is really pretty though, a really nice balance in my opinion. And they generally have a decent variety of colours and aesthetics so there should be something else that looks cool (even though like Ibanez they suffer from the "if we don't know what colour and pickups to put on this guitar, black and EMG81 it is" syndrome...).
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Quote by dspellman

Come on dude, how can you tell if you're sweet moves are really sweet and that you'll look like a proper rock star when you finally get your big break and become a guitar god?

Sounds like you're leaving a lot to chance...
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by mockbel
awesome guitar

unfortunately only brand new E-II are available in Egypt which is double the price of EC1000... I can't find any used and I don't prefer to get a guitar online...

Yep, sucks to be in a place that has very little in the way of used gear.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Maybe if people only bought guitars on looks then that point would hold more weight.

People don't usually buy ass-looking (in their opinion) guitars though. If a lot of people buy this model it suggests that a lot of people don't have any particular issue with the bling.

Personally it's not my look but I don't really have any strong opinions on the abalone. It can do its thing and I will do mine. Equally, I can see why people object to it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
"Studies* have shown that abalone binding on a guitar neck will increase sales by 400,000%"

*Studies conducted by Jim's Abalone Supply Company Ltd
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by dementiacaptain
Come on dude, how can you tell if you're sweet moves are really sweet and that you'll look like a proper rock star when you finally get your big break and become a guitar god?

Sounds like you're leaving a lot to chance...

Ahhhhh. Good point.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
"Studies* have shown that abalone binding on a guitar neck will increase sales by 400,000%"

*Studies conducted by Jim's Abalone Supply Company Ltd

I am not buying this guitar specifically for this abalone binding around the fretboard... am I that unique ??
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Quote by Random3
I like it on some bodies and heads, but on necks it just looks out of place.

That's really a personal judgment, of course.
It's not something I'd seek out, but if the rest of the guitar were good, I'd find a way to get by it.

There's an airplane out there with this:

It's an all-abalone bathroom sink.
The interior of this airplane cost more than the airframe itself, and reflects the personal tastes of a man with unlimited money. De Gustibus est non disputandum.
^...can I see reflections of guitar strings on that sink??? And why did he fit those awful DR Neon crap on there? Definitely more money than sense.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by crackerjack123
^...And why did he fit those awful DR Neon crap on there? Definitely more money than sense.

How else will you know which is hot and which is cold?

Taste is something which changes from country to country. I went around the Aston Martin factory and you could tell which cars were going to which country purely by the finishes specified. There were some which were a lesson in how to ruin a great car.

Back to the original post (sooo long ago) I quite like it. It is perhaps a little OTT, and would look a bit incongruous in a death metal or punk band, but otherwise, aesthetically, I don't have a problem with it.

However, there is a bit of an issue in over blinging a budget brand gutar, or anything else to that matter... gold Timex? There is no shame in having a budget guitar but it is a bit like; is it better to have the best house in a crap neighbourhood or a modest house in a good neighbourhood?...I know ESP produce more than budget guitars but it will be a long time before they are considered more than the Skoda of guitars.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Quote by John Sims
How else will you know which is hot and which is cold?

Taste is something which changes from country to country. I went around the Aston Martin factory and you could tell which cars were going to which country purely by the finishes specified. There were some which were a lesson in how to ruin a great car.

Back to the original post (sooo long ago) I quite like it. It is perhaps a little OTT, and would look a bit incongruous in a death metal or punk band, but otherwise, aesthetically, I don't have a problem with it.

However, there is a bit of an issue in over blinging a budget brand gutar, or anything else to that matter... gold Timex? There is no shame in having a budget guitar but it is a bit like; is it better to have the best house in a crap neighbourhood or a modest house in a good neighbourhood?...I know ESP produce more than budget guitars but it will be a long time before they are considered more than the Skoda of guitars.

What, you mean they were shit until 20 years ago, but since then have been producing low to mid price reliable commuter vehicles?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Um, what. Last time I checked ESP were one of the most established brands in metal since... something like forever.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
think of how many clams had to give their lives to make all those crappy airplane sinks.

what about the clams?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by TheLiberation
Um, what. Last time I checked ESP were one of the most established brands in metal since... something like forever.

That's what I mean. Skoda were a fucking joke, until around 20 years ago. Sure, the Felicia wasn't pretty, but I still see plenty still running, even though production stopped in like 98 or something.

Hell, I got a Fabia new in 2000, and the worst thing that happened with it in 10 yeras was the front drivers window once disengaged from the motor that opened/closed it, and I had to tape a tarp on overnight.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
...Hell, I got a Fabia new in 2000, and the worst thing that happened with it in 10 yeras was the front drivers window once disengaged from the motor that opened/closed it, and I had to tape a tarp on overnight.

That was my point; obviously poorly made. Skoda were a joke but now command considerable respect (as do buyers) being a VW in everything but price. I drove one of the first Octavia in the UK (it was lh drive) around Siverstone. It was a properly good car.

ESP have gone from making "cheap" guitars to making "good value for money" guitars.

However, the whole bling thing suggest a level of prestige which isn't really present in the brand. You wouldn't put carbon ceramic brakes on a Skoda - well you could but why would you?
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Last edited by John Sims at Nov 7, 2015,
Quote by John Sims
That was my point; obviously poorly made. Skoda were a joke but now command considerable respect (as do buyers) being a VW in everything but price. I drove one of the first Octavia in the UK (it was lh drive) around Siverstone. It was a properly good car.

ESP have gone from making "cheap" guitars to making "good value for money" guitars.

However, the whole bling thing suggest a level of prestige which isn't really present in the brand. You wouldn't put carbon ceramic brakes on a Skoda - well you could but why would you?

To annoy car snobs.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
To annoy car snobs.

That would be a hell of an investment just for that pleasure and I'm not sure many would be as annoyed as heard to say "Oh bless".
Quote by John Sims
That would be a hell of an investment just for that pleasure and I'm not sure many would be as annoyed as heard to say "Oh bless".

It wouldn't just be money.

It would be the time taken to make sure that I'd buy the brakes right out from under people who wanted them for their own, marginally less unsuitable cars, and sending them links to videos of them being fitted, followed by videos of me driving safely and with considerations to road conditions to work and the shops.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Page 1 of 2