I just noticed these two amps for sale used near me. Now i was saving up for a nice 7 string, but this two things have me intrigued. Currently i have a JetCity jca50, and im wondering if any one of this would be an upgrade. I especially like the fact that they both have 3 channels, since i need a clean, rhythm and lead tones, and my JC has only 2 channels, and even then the clean one doesnt really do clean very well.

Both of these amps are for sale for 500euro. Randall has a randall clean module, a recto 2 module and the ultra lead module in it. The peavey is stock as far as i know. I would use them for giging, and i play mainly modern metal, the likes of trivium and persefone and stuff like that, though when i finaly get a 7 string, i may delve a bit into more djenty territory. Would both of those amps be good for this?

To be honest i have no idea which way to decide, since they both seem like a beast of an amp to me. But how much of an upgrade (aside from having 3 channels) would they be to my current amp?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Best thing to do is play them both and decide which one suits you. I have a XXX and love it but never tried a RM but hear great things about it.
The XXX is a good amp if you need what it does, the Randall can be anything you need it to be.

For me it's no contest, especially with 3 modules for the RM.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
No contest, the RM100. And if you ever miss your JCA you can throw a SLO module into the RM.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would probably go for the RM. It has way more options to play around with and youll never get bored with the amount of modules available.

The Triple XXX is nice if you like a hot hair metal kind of sound but I personally didnt think it was all too great for modern metal tones. Its way too loose on the bottom end. I ended up just using the Crunch channel pretty much excusively since the Ultra channel had way too much gain and was a bit weak if you tried to dial it back a bit. I ended up dumping it for a Boogie.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have a XXX and love it. I stay only on the Ultra channel 90% of the time. Really gainy and that's how I like it.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
But, and this is a serious question, does it djent? Both the xxx and the rm.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Cathbard
No contest, the RM100. And if you ever miss your JCA you can throw a SLO module into the RM.

And if we ever run out of acronyms, I have a few you can borrow...
Quote by gorkyporky
But, and this is a serious question, does it djent? Both the xxx and the rm.

That's never a serious question.

If youre looking for Djent style tones I dont think the Triple XXX will cut the mustard. Im sure with enough tweaking you could get something passable with it but I wouldnt say those tones would be a strong point.

Have you thought about a 6505? It might be a bit more suited for Djenty kind of br00tz IMO.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I think XXX is more suitable for slightly scooped old school br00tal tones instead of uber tight djenting. Not saying it cannot do that because the damping switch at the back is very effective in cutting away looseness. But its the ridiculous old school heaviness the amp truly shines at. And Thrashing too. Gary Holt likes the amp for a reason.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 3, 2015,
Quote by MaaZeus
I think XXX is more suitable for slightly scooped old school br00tal tones instead of uber tight djenting. Not saying it cannot do that because the damping switch at the back is very effective in cutting away looseness. But its the ridiculous old school heaviness the amp truly shines at. And Thrashing too. Gary Holt likes the amp for a reason.

Totally agree.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
are we talking old XXX or the new version which replaced the JSX. not really the same amp. the older version is more suited to 90s metal sounds. the new version may be able to do the djent thing but i can't say i ever tried that.

i'd be more inclined to go with the Randall as it has more features with the included modules (and this is coming from a Peavey guy)
Quote by monwobobbo
are we talking old XXX or the new version which replaced the JSX. not really the same amp. the older version is more suited to 90s metal sounds. the new version may be able to do the djent thing but i can't say i ever tried that.

i'd be more inclined to go with the Randall as it has more features with the included modules (and this is coming from a Peavey guy)

Fair question to ask but I'd be guessing the older one since the newer one is called the "Triple XXX-II" and not just a triple XXX. I think TS would've probably made the distinction if it was otherwise.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Nov 3, 2015,
RM100 for sure. The XXX has never really impressed me and would be more of a sidestep than anything.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Randall is the better option as long as you have access to modules. Let's be honest here for a moment. Peavey XXX is basically a recto style amp. The Randall RM in question has a clean module, a recto module, and a lead high gain module.

So you're basically looking at two recto style amps. It's a crap shoot either way unless you can find modules for the RM in your market.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Are you sure its "basically a recto" cause it sounds nothing like mine. Different gain character and voicing.

It might very well be but its not something I found.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Nov 4, 2015,
I utterly detest the XXX's clean and lead channels, the crunch channel is servicable but nothing to brag about.

The RM sounds like a great deal and I remember being blown away by these when they came out so I'd probably lean in that direction. You can always swap modules in there if you don't like the ones you currently have. Cathbard can probably help you with that, he mentioned some sites that do customizations to existing modules or you can buy on Ebay.

I'd make sure I thoroughly test that amp before leaving though, let if warm up for a while, play with it for about an hour just to make sure nothing is wrong as there are more points of failure on this amp.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Are you sure its "basically a recto" cause it sounds nothing like mine. Different gain character and voicing.

It might very well be but its not something I found.

Pretty much in the ballpark. It isn't a clone, so it is voiced a bit differently with that typical Peavey honk in the midrange. But the XXX was more or less Peavey's attempt at a high gain mesa style amp. By saying it is basically a recto - I'm saying it is a high gain amp with a boomy low end and fizzy top end.

The XXX amps benefit from JJ tubes for those who "detest" them. They sound quite dull with sovtek or EH tubes in them.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Nov 4, 2015,
Quote by ThunderPunk
Pretty much in the ballpark. It isn't a clone, so it is voiced a bit differently with that typical Peavey honk in the midrange. But the XXX was more or less Peavey's attempt at a high gain mesa style amp. By saying it is basically a recto - I'm saying it is a high gain amp with a boomy low end and fizzy top end.

The XXX amps benefit from JJ tubes for those who "detest" them. They sound quite dull with sovtek or EH tubes in them.

Yeah I mean, I don't doubt it too much. Visually, the Peavey was made to look like a Recto for sure but I never found them to be a close comparison soundwise. I mean, I've owned both amps but maybe I wasn't being discerning enough when comparing them.

Then again, I'm a weirdo so what do I know

I ran mine with JJs as well. It was rocking EL34s at one point too.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Having owned both amps I would say the RM100 (especially if you're gonna run 6L6 on the outer sockets and EL34 on the inner). I sold it to get an Axe FX, I miss it from time to time. The XXX I had was the older version and couldn't sell it fast enough. I kept it for a few months rehearsed with it, recorded with it (retracked with the RM100) but I just couldn't bring myself to gig with it. To my ears had harsh, nasty distortion with little note separation and at gig/rehearsal levels the tone was very ear fatiguing
rm100 for sure. plus if you're handy with a soldering iron you can modify your modules to suit your preference - lots of resources and tips online. i just finished up modding my sl+ to jcm800 tonestack specs and gave my treadplate a good whack of mids.