Hello, I am about to get an amp and want to know your opinions before I make the wrong decision.

Here in Perú, an AC30VR and AC15C2 have a similar price, the AC15C2 is more expensive by 180 dollars aprox.

I want help deciding because, first I want to practice in my room and also be able to use it on small venues, like small theaters and bars, nothing fancy or big. I also know that they're usually mic-ed so potence wouldn't be much problem.

So in terms of sound, what do you recommend? I would mainly use it on the clean channel with a little reverb. Think spacey/psychadelic rock with many modulator pedals.

My gear: Fender Select Stratocaster HSS and this pedalboard: - Xotic SP Compressor - EXH Hot Tubes - EXH Micro Pog - EXH Small Stone - EXH Stereo Electric Mistress - EXH Stereo Memory Man w Hazarai - EXH Holy Stain
Thanks!
I'd go with ac15c2. It sounds beautiful. The VR isn't bad but it's barely more than generic. The AC15C2 is just wonderful for clean. Don't expect to stay squeaky clean at ear splitting level but it's louder than what most people expect from a 15 watter.

That's the one with the two speakers, right?
Yes, its the one with two speakers, so you say its loud for a 15Watt and the clean sound is more beautiful than the VR series, but wouldn't it get kind of "tubes" overdriven when its loud? The "no squeaky clean" at high volumes is really a problem or is it just a small crunch?
Full disclosure: I've only played the 1 speaker version but never had a problem staying clean with a small band that didn't play super loud. If anything, having two speakers will help your projection

At low to mid volumes (bedroom, small gigs with a microphone in fron of your amp), you won't have a problem staying clean. Putting the amp on a chair on any sort of riser will bring it closer to ear level and will allow you to avoid cranking it.

Also these amps don't get INCREDIBLY distorted. It'll be more than a slight crunch but you're not going to be getting any marshall type levels with this thing. Since you can always simply leave your preamp volume down, you'll only be getting poweramp distortion, which isn't as hard anyways.

Did you try it out though? What do you think about it?
Ok I understand, havent tried them yet. Do you think 180 dollars is worth it over the VR? I mean with the VR I got 30W more than sufficient for what I want, but I think the sound of the AC15C should be better. I want a beautiful clean sound, not getting that up to a Twin Reverb (which is expensive for me).

The only store that sells it is at the other side of my city... 3 hours drive... but if I make an order they bring it to me, that's why I haven't been able to test them, but If I have the chance I'll go.

Thanks!
Well i always reccommend trying before buying in every situation. But with what you said, I strongly believe you'll be happier with the ac15c2. Yes the 180$ difference is worth it, although i would have expected it to be more... may i ask what the actual prices for both are?
This might be unpopular, but if it's just about the cleans I would get the AC30VR and save the money for other things.
http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/vox-ac30vr-266551
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
This might be unpopular, but if it's just about the cleans I would get the AC30VR and save the money for other things.
http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/vox-ac30vr-266551

This is purely subjective but I prefer the cleans of the ac15. Since it seems that the op is mainly after cleans and already has a whole bunch of quality pedals, I dont feel that saving 180$ is such a huge advantage, especially since he'll want to be playing shows
AC15 for me. All tube vintage sounding amp instead of valve-reactor modeling and
Solid state. The AC15 is clearly more amp but both probably sound pretty decent.

FWIW Fender Blues Jr and Super Champ X2 also have great Fender Blackface style clean tone for less $$. Both are gig quality.

Heading down your way in May next year. Maybe we will see you out gigging your new amp
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 3, 2015,
Hahaha thanks to all of you, I'll go and try them and see, I've got comments from many people saying the VR ones have great clean tones. Will take all your feedback and check out the options.

Many thanks!
Quote by Cajundaddy
AC15 for me. All tube vintage sounding amp instead of valve-reactor modeling and solid state. The AC15 is clearly more amp but both probably sound pretty decent.

+1 AC15s have a great clean tone, but break up earlier than an AC30. That being said, AC15s an AC30s are LOUD,so you should be able to get a good clean tone at a gigging volume.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Quote by Fishybones
+1 AC15s have a great clean tone, but break up earlier than an AC30. That being said, AC15s an AC30s are LOUD,so you should be able to get a good clean tone at a gigging volume.

The AC30 in question is an AC30VR, which bears the same resemblance to an actual AC30 as Timex does to Rolex...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
The AC30 in question is an AC30VR, which bears the same resemblance to an actual AC30 as Timex does to Rolex...

Oh, I know. I was talking about tube AC30's in general. Might have been kind of misleading.

Anyway: Ac15. Without a doubt.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
How is this even a question? The AC15 kicks the AC30VR's arse convincingly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
How is this even a question? The AC15 kicks the AC30VR's arse convincingly.

+1

This isn't even a tube vs SS debate at this point - It's "classic tube amp vs solid state imitation of classic tube amp".

If you're worried about volume/clean tones, the extra 3dB of clean headroom potential from the VR is most likely going to be nullified by the speakers anyway - unspecified "custom celestion speakers" are rarely good. They are usually just rebadged seventy80s, which sound horrible when turned up loud, imo.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Getting a modeling amp like the VR is kind of pointless if you only need a good clean tone.

The AC15 seems like the better choice for you, as others have pointed out. If money is an issue, see if you can get the C1 instead of the C2 maybe? It only has one speaker and is cheaper.

A 2x12 combo will have a "bigger" sound, but imo a 1x12", 15w tube combo is a great package for the kind of gigs you are planning: It'll be loud enough for almost any bar or small stage (particularly when mic'd), and it's easier to transport.

Of course, if money and transportation are not an issue, than the C2 is just fine (also big amps look cool on stage )
Get the 15.
I have the one speaker version. I love it and don't see myself parting with it any time soon.

You should have no problem getting the tone you want out of it. It's amazing for stuff that, based on you're description, I'm pretty sure you're going for.
Quote by Alcofuel
Get the 15.
I have the one speaker version. I love it and don't see myself parting with it any time soon.

You should have no problem getting the tone you want out of it. It's amazing for stuff that, based on you're description, I'm pretty sure you're going for.

With the one speaker version, you are able to play small gigs as people stated above?
Friends!! I finally decided, I got the AC15C1 , its very loud, and I wouldn't be able to carry the C2 version (damn I cant even carry this one...). The sound is too loud for my room...

Thanks for the help I went to the store, and I was the best experience ever. The AC30VR has nothing on the full tubes one... It's simply a beautiful sound!
Quote by diegokobe
Friends!! I finally decided, I got the AC15C1 , its very loud, and I wouldn't be able to carry the C2 version (damn I cant even carry this one...). The sound is too loud for my room...

Thanks for the help I went to the store, and I was the best experience ever. The AC30VR has nothing on the full tubes one... It's simply a beautiful sound!

Good Choice!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin