Hey guys, been a while since I've been here...I've been using the Fractal Audio Axe FX 2 for the last few years and love it! My cover band has stayed busy enough that I have done some demo work but no serious recordings, that's about to change. The one thing about the AF2 I cannot connect with are the IR's. It seems that the best ones to get are the proprietary ones that are offered through Fractal but they do not come available in .wav format which is what I want to use in my DAW (I like to record w/o cab Sims then use a convolution plugin after).

All of that said I thought I would start looking for IR's that have been made in professional studios in the same manner as a pro quality recordings. Or as much as I hate to use the term I guess I am looking for "industry standard" Ir's. Google searches have yielded few results and most are a few or more years old. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help- Shawn.
I wonder what an "IR" is?

Ahh just read about it. The modern equivalent of a digital waveform sampler. Sort of a sonic fingerprint.

Never used one. I am sure they are the latest "must have" but a good, old fashioned speaker cab still gets it done.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 3, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy

an Impulse Response?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by stm113
(I like to record w/o cab Sims then use a convolution plugin after
Seems like you like to complicate your life.

"industry standard" guitar cab IR's don't exist.
You can get good ones for free if you look around using google/yahoo/bing, but if you already have the sound you want in the axe you should simply use the full axe chain to record.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The Guitar hacks and the Catharsis pack are a great place to start for the freebies. I still get a lot of use out of the redwirez stuff. Rosen digital and Owenhammer seem to be knocking out good stuff these days too. Most if not all of these come in WAV format.
Quote by Cajundaddy

Ahh just read about it.
Never used one. I am sure they are the latest "must have" but a good, old fashioned speaker cab still gets it done.

A good old fashioned speaker cab sounds like one good old fashioned cab.

IRs allow you to sound like a bunch of different good old fashioned cabs. Look up the Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B. It arrives with a nice complement of IRs and you can download others from them, from their customers, from anyone who makes them.