Hi all, I have relatively recently started guitar and I'm delighted with my Seagull Acoustic (wonderful for fingerpicking, but it isn't built for even the calmer rock genres and certainly not power chord shredding, string-bending etc that come with them). So I'm purchasing an electric!

What is a good guitar with a moderate price range? (I have some money stored but more than 400-500 UK pounds is definitely too much). And remember, I'm taking cosmetics into consideration, none of those garish things with devil horn attachments please, I'm not into heavy metal.
what type(s) of music do you like?

how much money isn't too much? does that include the amp budget too?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS and a cheaper practice amp of your choice (Roland Cube, Line 6 Spider etc.) would be a great allround rig to start with. People here usually say you should divide your budget about equally, but that makes less sense when you haven't got more money than this - it will only end with you needing to upgrade both in the long run. A 200 GBP amp isn't that much better than a 100 GBP one, in fact probably only a bigger amp in the same series with no other difference than power... Comparing a 200 GBP guitar to a 400 GBP one will however be much easier.Better to buy a decent guitar that will hold up for years and a small but serviceable amp.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Nov 4, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
what type(s) of music do you like?

how much money isn't too much? does that include the amp budget too?

I'm into indie alternative rock. Bombay Bicycle Club and that. Not too heavy.

Probably going to go for a smaller amp
a strat would probably be the perfect choice for that music type

roland cubes are great as mentioned before but laney amps are pretty dope too and not too expensive
I'm a dirty fuckin' punk / i sell myself for a beer
It mostly depends on your budget for both guitar and amp together. I'm assuming that 4-500 pounds is for both. That's what, 700 American dollars? (I live in the us)
I would be inclined to agree with a strat if that's the music you would like to play.
As for my personal recommendation, a used mim strat and an orange crush 35rt amp would be a pretty good choice. Both can be found online for about 300 U.S. dollars and that's something like 500 pounds I think. And a used orange crush 35 can be had for less than $100 us.
The orange has a tuner and a few pretty fair effects as well as two channels so it should be pretty versatile. And having had both an mim strat and that orange amp before I can vouch for their reliability
Last edited by Lgarretto at Nov 4, 2015,
Well, some kind of Strat seems to be the way to go. They're all pretty sexy guitars so you can't go far between them. But I'll bear recommendations in mind

I don't think I need a particularly spectacular amp, I live with my parents right now (though I might go off to uni in less than a year) so nothing of antisocial volume is permitted, and I'm not particularly into burying the sound in distortion effects so no need to go overboard with an amp tbh.
Since they're local to you, do yourself a favor and check out Fret-King. In 2013, I imported one all the way from Frets Guitar Centre in London to the Dallas area of Texas, and have not been disappointed. Nice feel, nice looks, nice tones...and probably a better bargain than imported Fenders, etc. They have several Strat/Tele clone options, as well as a couple of unique designs.

Mine is a Super 60HB, a HSS Stratclone. I love it enough that I do look to as other FKs to my collection.

Since volume is a concern, I'd recommend foregoing an amp for now- unless you have buddies you want to jam with- and get a portable digital modeler like a Korg Pandora, Line 6 POD, or similar device from Boss, Tascam, etc.

For $99-300, you get all kinds of practice tools (tuner, metronome, drum sim, amp sim, pedal sim, etc.) in an enclosure small enough to fit in a gigbag or hardshell case, and can be used as a MFX unit. Since they're used with headphones, you can practice virtually anywhere or any time without disturbing anyone.

Some even offer audio recording or computer interfaces, so you can record yourself.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 4, 2015,
Quote by HomerSGR
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS and a cheaper practice amp of your choice (Roland Cube, Line 6 Spider etc.)

Nah, avoid the Line 6 Spiders like the plague

Quote by Serotonite
Well, some kind of Strat seems to be the way to go. They're all pretty sexy guitars so you can't go far between them. But I'll bear recommendations in mind

I don't think I need a particularly spectacular amp, I live with my parents right now (though I might go off to uni in less than a year) so nothing of antisocial volume is permitted, and I'm not particularly into burying the sound in distortion effects so no need to go overboard with an amp tbh.

Besides the amps already mentioned, I suggest taking a look at the Vox amps. I think they would be good for alternative rock. Maybe Fender Amps too.
Last edited by DanyFS at Nov 4, 2015,
That's a pretty good thought with the amps. The orange I mentioned can get quiet, but it is loud enough to gig with in very small places. I've done it. So the idea of getting a digital modeling amp isn't bad.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Since they're local to you, do yourself a favor and check out Fret-King. In 2013, I imported one all the way from Frets Guitar Centre in London to the Dallas area of Texas, and have not been disappointed.

Nope it's in Lancashire. That's near enough as far as it's possible to be from London while still being in England.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Look, wiseguy- to Americans, London is the only city in England, OK?

(I keep getting their location mixed up with Ivor Maraints. )
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Used Gibson Les Paul special or something like that and a used small tube amp like a Laney Cub should work well for you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Nope it's in Lancashire. That's near enough as far as it's possible to be from London while still being in England.

I live in the North West, thankfully enough.
^^ LOL

Just watch out on those fretkings, the prices can be all over the place. If you keep an eye out on Ebay, you can find shops getting rid of new (or new old stock) models which often go for very little money- sometimes £200-£300. But if you pay full price (and some stores will let you) you can pay twice to three times that. For £200-£300 they're nice instruments and hard to beat (new) for that kind of money, but I think there are probably better options for closer to full price. I think things like Japanese-made Tokais have the edge on them, for example, probably the Fender MIM classic series too.

EDIT: also resale value is pretty poor on the fretkings I think, another reason not to want to pay too much new.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Look, wiseguy- to Americans, London is the only city in England, OK?

(I keep getting their location mixed up with Ivor Maraints. )

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?