It's a little rough around the edges, but it's the first music project I've ever started that I've actually seen through to completion so it's kind of a big deal for me. It's a little all over the place style-wise but I'd say probably the two biggest influences that went into its creation are Devin Townsend and Feared.

Anyway, whether you listen to one song or you listen to the whole thing, let me know what you guys think and, of course, I'll C4C.

https://soundcloud.com/dense-frenetic-noise/sets/the-ep
Well, I have nothing better to do so I'll do this track by track.

The Beginning: Nice crushing intro which evolves into a dark atmosphere that I really like. The production quality is nice so far, bass is maybe a bit low but overall it's mixed very well. It's a bit short though, but I guess it's meant to be an intro piece?

This way lies madness: I pretty much love the intro on this track. The way the tremolo picked guitar blends into the intro riff is great. Riffs are solid, and I really dig the dynamic change at about 0:50, sounds great. It then evolves into an another blend of tremolo picking and solid riffing and all sounds pretty sweet. However, at this point I'm starting to miss the vocals, they'd be a nice addition. At the 2:00 minute mark you give the bass some space, and the tone is quite cool. The riffs stay solid, and the production quality is good. The dark atmospheric part at 3:20 gives the song some nice depth, and I again love the way you use dynamics here, giving the synth (?) part some space. I also think that you use multiple guitar tracks pretty well throughout the track. If you'd add vocals this would be an amazing metal track.

Bruxist: The intro doesn't quite hook me as well as the last two tracks, but everything is still solid. The synths add a nice layer of depth here. After the 0:50 mark the guitar riffs get really badass, I really like that part. The intro riff you go back to here is a great mosh riff though, it has a nice, driving rhythm. The biggest gripe here is the same it was in the last song: without vocals, it just sounds like you're recycling the same parts over and over again, however those parts are pretty great. But the cleaner part at 3:00 is just sweet, I really like the dynamic change here and I love strong bass so this is my favorite part so far, really cool. There's something iffy in the switch back to distorted guitar, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it wasn't climatic enough, it was kind of a calm switch? But it's a minor gripe. The rest of the song goes on as expected, would work great with vocals though.

Breathe: How did you do the out of tune vibe effect here? It's great. Having a calm song like this really contributes to the overall dynamics of the EP. It's a bit short, and nothing kind of happens, but it's a fine break between the heavier songs.

Empty: Nice riff at the start. However, the riff that follows takes the cake here, it's really good. And props for giving us some more strong bass parts This track has a more black metal-ish feeling, having some pretty dark stuff going on with less of that crushing heaviness. I'm not sure if I'd agree with making this the last song on the EP, it's of course completely up to you but I feel like since this track is shorter and a bit more simple than the previous ones, it's a bit less climatic. Nice outro though, that hanging, creepy atmosphere closes the EP with style.

Overall, I think you did a pretty great job I really enjoyed the EP thoroughly.

Pros: Great production value, strong atmosphere and solid riffs.

Cons: No vocals, the last two tracks feel a little short.

Could you share some details on the recording process? Did you do this all on your own? What did you use for the guitar and bass tones? What DAW did you use? I think it's produced very well, so I'm curious about the process I really enjoyed it, very impressive first effort.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Could you share some details on the recording process? Did you do this all on your own? What did you use for the guitar and bass tones? What DAW did you use? I think it's produced very well, so I'm curious about the process I really enjoyed it, very impressive first effort.

Thanks for the review man, I'm glad you liked it! I totally agree with you on Empty feeling kinda weak as the closer for the EP, but I liked the flow of the tracklist and I wasn't sure how I could change it without messing up the flow of the whole thing or tacking on an extra song and running the risk of making the EP too long. The out of tune vibe effect in Breathe was from a chorus pedal in Pod Farm with the depth and speed set low (I think like 10-15% for the depth and the speed set to whole notes and synced to 100BPM). In the last minute or so of the song after the drums kick in I also had a heavily reverbed out piano playing behind the guitars.

As for the recording process, I did the drums and the synths using Superior Drummer and FL Studio and recorded all the guitars with a Pod UX1 and Pod Farm 2. I did all the recording, mixing, and mastering stuff in Reaper using mostly the plug-ins that came with it, the only two extra plug-ins I used were Variety of Sound epicVerb for reverb and Density Mk II for compression.
Last edited by madbasslover at Nov 5, 2015,
I listened to This Way Lies Madness.

Given the gear you used this is certainly impressive, noticeably that the guitars don't sound like angry bees which seems to be the case usually with Pod Farm.

The performance is consistent and sounds professional, no weird edits or coverups or anything from what I can hear. As far as the actual mixing goes I would personally beef up the snare a bit more and reduce some of the clack from the kick drum. As a whole though your mix definitely fits the music.

Reminds me of Opeth, and I also sense a bit of Gojira in some of the riffs.

Followed, good stuff and I will listen to the rest of it when I get time.

Here's a link to my thread if you get a couple of minutes to check mine out: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1690414
Quote by madbasslover
As for the recording process, I did the drums and the synths using Superior Drummer and FL Studio and recorded all the guitars with a Pod UX1 and Pod Farm 2. I did all the recording, mixing, and mastering stuff in Reaper using mostly the plug-ins that came with it, the only two extra plug-ins I used were Variety of Sound epicVerb for reverb and Density Mk II for compression.

Seriously? I have almost the same setup for guitars except I have a POD HD instead of the pod farm and I can't record stuff that sounds as good as this. I need some practice...
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Last edited by Kevätuhri at Nov 6, 2015,
really digging it. silence is such an underutilized tool in heavy music, that break in the intro was perfect. do wish it had some vocals though