Hi guys,

Long time reader first time poster. I need some help deciding for a new amp. A little bit of info so you know my situation. I live in a medium size house, so would prefer something for bedroom levels. I will never be in a band or a gig player, although I do jam with some mates in a shed from time to time (drink beers more than anything). I play mainly classic rock, 90's grunge and metal. It can be a combo or a head, but I want to run it through a 1x12. I use an EMG 81/85 Epiphone Les Paul and an Ibanez RG470. I don't mind running some pedals either, although I currently don't have any. Basically I have some criteria that I need to meet, also some wants would be nice but I know it isn't going to be possible to get all of them.

Needs;
Suitable for a 1x12
Tube
Bedroomish levels (switchable watts?)

Wants;
Switchable watts
Headphone jack
FX loop
Reverb
2 Channels
Footswitch

I have been looking at a few amps including Blackstar Ht1R/HT5R, Orange Micro/Tiny Terror, Ibanez TSA5TVR, Peavey 6505+ etc... Budget is around this sort of range, nothing really firm, also open to second hand options. Also, I am at least a 2 hour drive from a decent music store.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Pimpin_1JZ at Nov 4, 2015,
Tiny Terror will probably suit you well, unless you want a more cleanish type of amp, look at Marshall Class5.

You didn't say price? Reason I am asking is cause a Mesa Express 5:25 or Mini Rectifier will probably work great for that purpose as well.
We really need your budget first before we can give you any really help.

Edit:

This is our default help forum

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
I have edited the first post. I can't really say a price as the Australian Dollar is fairly different to most but around the prices of those amps mentioned would be nice. I am also a 2 hour drive from a decent music store so it is a bit difficult to test a lot of amps. I am happy for new or used amps also.
The Tiny Terror is short on bells and whistles but long on great guitar tone that suits your playing.
If you got $500 you could find a decent used Mesa to tick the boxes.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
The Tiny Terror is short on bells and whistles but long on great guitar tone that suits your playing.
If you got $500 you could find a decent used Mesa to tick the boxes.

Not in Australia he couldn't.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin