Page 1 of 2
I was taking a stroll during my lunch break, and I'm approached by this guy with a stack of pamphlets in his hand, who asks me if I have a moment.
So I say "sure", and he hands me one of his pamphlets. It turns out the guy is a Jehovah's Witness, and the pamphlet has some stuff about The Watchtower on it and some text asking if I've met God and seen the light yet and all that stuff.
The guys asks "Do you believe in God yet?"
To which I say "Eh, no I don't"
And he smiles, says "Ok, never mind then", takes back his pamphlet and walks away.

I'm not sure what just happened, but I'm kind of sad that the guy apparently thought I was a lost cause
Everybody's lives are a lost cause. Its just that many are in denial.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I've never even been to Egypt.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I've never even been to Egypt.

Slaps pls

It's spelled Edgypt
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 4, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I think pamphlet man was so stunned that someone actually spoke to him in the first place that he didn't know what to do
I have nothing important to say
Quote by Banjocal

Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Just because our existence is meaningless doesn't mean living is, you know. I think you're confusing the two again.

Personally, I'm too busy caring about my life to care about not caring about life and it's meaninglessness.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Nov 4, 2015,
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Just because our existence is meaningless doesn't mean living is, you know. I think you're confusing the two again.

Personally, I'm too busy caring about my life to care about not caring about life and it's meaninglessness.

Preach to the choir. The religious aim to objectify existence when it can't be. Feeling like a lost cause when one tries to is normal. That's my point. Of course subjectifying it is the better option.
Quote by TheSennaj
sing to the preacher
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by The_Blode
What. is. love.

real talk 'what is love' by haddaway is actually genius
Quote by ultimate-slash

You should have stayed silent and made unflinching eye-contact. Not in an intimidating manner, but simply a relaxed face without any visible type of emotion at all (such as anger or giddiness). It's those kinds of moments that reveal a person's humanity.

Do not be a pawn in someone else's game. Create a situation that forces them to think about what they are doing in that moment. Never reciprocate words in those situations, only eye-contact.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
Maybe he's been told to ignore atheists. They might get better results trying to convert believers from one system of bullshit to another.
Quote by The_Blode
12 chicken nuggets and fries for dinner. What. is. life.

Life.

Life is life.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by Jehannum
Maybe he's been told to ignore atheists. They might get better results trying to convert believers from one system of bullshit to another.

Their leader was probably all like, "Preach the word of God but be weary of atheist neckbeards. They just want reddit gold and upvotes"
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Zaphikh
You should have stayed silent and made unflinching eye-contact. Not in an intimidating manner, but simply a relaxed face without any visible type of emotion at all (such as anger or giddiness). It's those kinds of moments that reveal a person's humanity.

I've actually done something like this before with some Mormon folks. Something like pure, unconditional regard for what they're saying--that you're paying more attention to what they're saying than they are.
Quote by Eastwinn
real talk 'what is love' by haddaway is actually genius

No talk is objectively real.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
No talk is objectively real.

HOW CAN TALK BE REAL IF OUR EARS ARENT REAL?
Quote by Diemon Dave
I get harassed by Evangelicals on campus all the time. I even had one guy who wouldn't leave me alone until I agreed to attend a church service.
Quote by WaterGod
I get harassed by Evangelicals on campus all the time. I even had one guy who wouldn't leave me alone until I agreed to attend a church service.

Show him your penis, he'll probably give you a wide berth after that.

Although maybe not...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Show him your penis, he'll probably give you a wide berth after that.

Although maybe not...

At the church service.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
There is nothing outside the meme.

o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by WaterGod

You should have said "I'll go to your funeral", and then shot him.
Quote by Diemon Dave
"Therefore it is certain and true that he who first invented the notion of defending Christianity in Christendom is de facto Judas No. 2."

~Kierkegaard
Last edited by Fat Lard at Nov 4, 2015,
Quote by ultimate-slash
I was taking a stroll during my lunch break, and I'm approached by this guy with a stack of pamphlets in his hand, who asks me if I have a moment.
So I say "sure", and he hands me one of his pamphlets. It turns out the guy is a Jehovah's Witness, and the pamphlet has some stuff about The Watchtower on it and some text asking if I've met God and seen the light yet and all that stuff.
To which I say "Eh, no I don't"
And he smiles, says "Ok, never mind then", takes back his pamphlet and walks away.

I'm not sure what just happened, but I'm kind of sad that the guy apparently thought I was a lost cause

He may just have been confused because you had no door for him to knock on.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Preach to the choir. The religious aim to objectify existence when it can't be. Feeling like a lost cause when one tries to is normal. That's my point. Of course subjectifying it is the better option.

the object of the existence is to be happy. To be happy you must receive more joy and pleasure than sorrow and pain.

Little things make you happy and sometimes, big things accomplishments and achievements. Drugs can help make you happy but you must receive more joy and pleasure from them than misery.

There's more to religion than finding a reason to exist. They want to take over the world. Right now Carson is gaining mainly because of his religious views. The other ones the other religions also want to take over the world because their way is the one true way.

I know you. I know what you are like. I met lots of sensitive delicate wonderful people like you who know exactly what is going on and have to deal with a bunch bumbling idiots in such a horrible horrible world. Oh, I'm such a delicate flower why must I tolerate the foolishness, oh woe is me, how I suffered the angst and agony of existence oh dear me, oh my, such a frustrated futile existence, so meaningless.
Last edited by yope at Nov 4, 2015,
Quote by yope
the object of the existence is to be happy. To be happy you must receive more joy and pleasure than sorrow and pain.

Little things make you happy and sometimes, big things accomplishments and achievements. Drugs can help make you happy but you must receive more joy and pleasure from them than misery.

There's more to religion than finding a reason to exist. They want to take over the world. Right now Carson is gaining mainly because of his religious views. The other ones the other religions also want to take over the world because their way is the one true way.

I know you. I know what you are like. I met lots of sensitive delicate wonderful people like you who know exactly what is going on and have to deal with a bunch bumbling idiots in such a horrible horrible world. Oh, I'm such a delicate flower why must I tolerate the foolishness, oh woe is me, how I suffered the angst and agony of existence oh dear me, oh my, such a frustrated futile existence, so meaningless.

Who are you arguing with again?

It's ironic that you take the question of existentialism seriously in one paragraph and then mock those who also do in the next. What exactly makes a person lastingly happy is never well defined. And happiness isn't even the main goal either; its fulfillment that people really need. Happiness is always a fleeting emotion.
Quote by TheSennaj
absurdism is a more sensible approach to take

existentialism and nihilism both assert possibility of significance or lack thereof

absurdism fully admits its incomprehensibility and is happy to wade through this uncanny world with a range of struggles consistent with those one may think of if in an existentialist model of analysis

but then again I'd never actually define myself by the label 'absurdist' so w/e
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Nov 4, 2015,
lol if you believe in the monotheistic god in 2015
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by UltimateGuizar at #33666388
He may just have been confused because you had no door for him to knock on.

Sad thing is, it was all over so quickly I didn't even get a chance to tell thim to knock it off
Quote by k.lainad
lol if you believe in the monotheistic god in 2015

The implication being that we're back to polytheism now? A pinch of Allah, a dash of Yahweh and just a smidgen of Thor?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
The implication being that we're back to polytheism now? A pinch of Allah, a dash of Yahweh and just a smidgen of Thor?

Instagram, Facebook, Twitter...
Quote by JustRooster
Instagram, Facebook, Twitter...

Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

whatever you say, arby

but i'd rather believe in a higher-power beyond our understanding. Our monkey-brains cannot comprehend what reality actually is, and there is nothing we can do to figure what "it" is. Herd-culture is not the answer.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at Nov 4, 2015,
Quote by k.lainad
whatever you say, arby

but i'd rather believe in a higher-power beyond our understanding. Our monkey-brains cannot comprehend what reality actualy, and there is nothing we can do to figure what "it" is.

That makes sense, since there's exactly the same evidence for that that there is for a monotheistic diety.
Charles Darwin
Quote by k.lainad
whatever you say, arby

but i'd rather believe in a higher-power beyond our understanding. Our monkey-brains cannot comprehend what reality actualy, and there is nothing we can do to figure what "it" is.

Objectivism is a gateway drug to arguing ultimate morality. Don't start shrugging up this thread.
Page 1 of 2