I've been thinking of picking up this guitar primarily for the price point and the aesthetics. I have a budget of $1000 and i'm looking a to buy a new guitar that will be able to handle music styles like converge, every time I die, dillinger escape plan, deftones etc, but nothing heavier than that and as light as music like brand new, circa survive, nirvana. With that being said, will this guitar be able to handle those types of genres? Will I have the swap the pick ups out? If so I would probably swap them for seymour duncan JBs. Below is a link of the guitar. Thanks!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENCTEBGH?adpos=1o2&creative=55280239081&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiA9uaxBRDYr4_hrtC3tW8SJAD6UU8GrV7KJj4CB8D4o3A-d3u_uWGicKIO9zgXgzTypQNC9hoCAf_w_wcB
the guitar can handle it, Epiphone are not known for having good pickups. But you need an amp that can handle what you want to do .
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, you might want to get an OD to use as a boost to get the heavier stuff though.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a TS9 ibanez tube screamer as well, should I keep the pick ups stock or swap em out for SD jbs?
Considering changing pickups on a guitar you don't even own yet is pretty stupid. Get the guitar first and stick with it stock for a while.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 4, 2015,
Yeah looking ahead into the future for alternative solutions sure is pretty stupid, i've played the guitar before just not through my own rig, and i've researched and read reviews so I have a sense of what to expect.
Quote by PatrickTHolmgre
Yeah looking ahead into the future for alternative solutions sure is pretty stupid, i've played the guitar before just not through my own rig, and i've researched and read reviews so I have a sense of what to expect.

There are a LOT of alternatives.

TOODEEPBLUE's got a point -- until you actually get the guitar and spend some time with it running through your rig, you won't know what you have. It really doesn't make a LOT of sense to pick a go-to set of pickups to throw money at until you know what you want to correct (if anything).
Quote by PatrickTHolmgre

You don't. Not until you actually own the guitar and play it with your setup. There's no harm in waiting.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 4, 2015,
Sweet guitar choice! I have one and it is teriffic! Definitely, get it and play it for a while before you change anything! Epi's Probuckers are very good. They're certainly not the hottest pups around. Nonetheless, you'll likely be pleasantly surprised with what the stock electronics can do for you. The Phase Reversal feature (Neck Tone Knob Push Pull) also adds to the Tone variations from the Humbucker Split Coil pups. Of course, it all depends on what Amp, FX Pedals and Outboard gear you have.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
If I can offer an alternative with great pickups stock I'd say get an Electra Omega Prime. You can get the same black/gold aesthetic, better electronics and my Omega is hands down the smoothest guitar I've ever played. Compared to the Epi pups I have experience with the stock Electras are leaps and bounds better.

https://reverb.com/item/952459-electra-omega-prime-2013-black-gold-new-w-hard-case-and-free-shipping?_aid=pla&currency=USD&pla=1&gclid=CjwKEAiA9uaxBRDYr4_hrtC3tW8SJAD6UU8GLKcGfHTRwBPHxe3COs18WIfm3tRFLId-mZQFicALIBoC4Fjw_wcB
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
^^Agree.
Good choice for a guitar.
And I agree, I would wait to see what it can do stock before buying new pickups.
But I also think its worth researching to see whats out there, what others have done, and other options, whenever the hell you want, to see what might better suit you and your playing style.
I would also suggest you replace the pickup switch with what Guitar Fetish has to offer.
The stock Epiphone switches have a less than stellar reputation (Although I have never had a problem with them myself, I still replaced mine).
But I wouldn't replace the pickups until you are sure you know exactly what it is you want.
I would suggest having a look here for pickups : http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Guitar-Pickups_c_7.html
They are low in price and IME, they can do the job quite nicely.
I got a pair of these :
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fat-Pat-Boutique-Humbucker-Zebra-Bridge-Position_p_80.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fat-Pat-Boutique-Humbucker-Zebra-Neck-Position_p_247.html
For my Epiphone LP and think they do the job quite well for what I play.
But I had my guitar for a good 6 months before I changed the pickups.
Whether those particular pickups would work for you I couldn't say.

Also, have a look here for alternate wiring diagrams for even more sonic possibilities: http://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring-diagrams

Quote by PatrickTHolmgre
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You don't. Not until you actually own the guitar and play it with your setup. There's no harm in waiting.

And I'll have to agree with T00DEEPBLUE on this.
All the reviews and youtube demos can't really capture what you may hear with your ears even given the same gear.

When it comes to youtube demos, the only ones I really have even the slightest bit of trust for are for modulation effects.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 4, 2015,
Play the guitar for a bit before you swap pickups so you know what you might want to change (if anything). If you do decide to change pickups, a better choice for your style might be the Seymour Duncan Custom in the bridge and the Jazz in the neck. They both sound great in LPs.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
The pro buckers are actually very good. I'm currently running a set in my main guitar (not the guitar they came in, I chose to put them in there)

They're not quite the Gibson ones but they're still pretty sweet
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Honestly the newer epiphone stock pickups aren't the worst...

However, a Duncan Custom/Jazz set would be a noticeable improvement.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have the new custom and the probuckers are very good. I was going to upgrade but no need to do this now. The best bang for buck out there IMO!