Managed to get everything I need except a drum sander, so now I have problems with step#1 in making guitars. Thicknessing out the back and sides. I have hand planes, but doing it free hand will go south very easy I bet. Looking for advice on a jig or something so that I can accurately thin out 2 pieces of 22"×8.5"×0.15"->0.08" thick.

Anything helps ty
Quote by pks330
Managed to get everything I need except a drum sander, so now I have problems with step#1 in making guitars. Thicknessing out the back and sides. I have hand planes, but doing it free hand will go south very easy I bet. Looking for advice on a jig or something so that I can accurately thin out 2 pieces of 22"×8.5"×0.15"->0.08" thick.

Anything helps ty

you can buy or build one of you like but a drum sander is not necessary for your first guitar. iirc you were going to buy some books to help out. the cumpiano and nattleson book shows how to thickness the plates and sides using a plane step by step with pictures.

but basically the joined plates are clamped to a table on one side and you plane towards the other side. then reverse. turn the plane at a 45 deg angle to avoid tearout.

honestly like judy threet, i use a orbital sander. i get 40g discs to start and blast off the material working down through the grits until i'm at 220. i'll use a dial indicator mounted to a stand at the edge of my table and slide the plate under it every so often to check the size. same thing with the sides.

you'll also need to tap the plate as you work. this is very important. just working to a dimension won't necessarily place the top or back in an area where it is actually making a musical tap tone. you'll hear the pitch go down as you thin the thing out. if you go to far, it's scrap. the final work is best done with a scraper btw.
Last edited by ad_works at Nov 5, 2015,