Hey everyone!

I'm planning on upgrading my rig within a few months and was hoping I could get some advice, as I haven't played through many amps. I'm currently using a Blackstar HT Stage 100 with a Series 1 2x12 cab. It sounds fucking awesome but I feel I could find something a bit better and more longterm.

I'd prefer an amp with a single clean channel as I use pedals for all my effects, I never even touch the overdrive channels on my current amp. I mainly play sludgy/stoner-rock stuff with some cleans here and there, so it'd have to be a versatile amp I guess. Basically I'm just after something simple and yet awesome sounding.

Some advice on the cab would also be great. I might end up using a 4x12 in the far future but for now I'm sticking to a 2x12 for the sake of constant transport. The Series 1 uses modified Vintage 30s and I love them but they tend to breakup a little too early, however that could also be due to using a 100 watt head? An amp with a wattage switch would be really useful.

The budget is around medium, not too scared of paying a lot though as this is a long term goal. I doubt I could afford anything from Orange apart from a cab though hahaha.

Any advice is massively appreciated! Cheers!
I was thinking Orange AD30 or Rockerverb until you said you probably couldn't afford them. What do you mean by a "medium" budget? Also something like a Fender Twin Reverb or Super Reverb would be a good platform for you pedals.

If your old amp still sounds "fucking awesome"... Ya know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'd stick with what you have.
Look at an old Laney AOR100. They run $300ish and do Doom/Stoner just fine

You also might want to look for a Sovtek MIG 100

Most amps have a wattage selector, you remove one pair of power tubes and instant 50watt amp (you do need to switch the impedance on the amp though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So wait TS, you're just looking for cleans right? Dirt comes from your pedals?

I'd find a used Fender (even an old Silverface would be fine) like a used Twin or Super or hell maybe a Bandmaster.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The big Fender tube amps might be actually quite nice for your thing.

Laney AOR would work too.

I also don't see a reason why not to try a 2 channel amp, maybe Traynor YCV series, either head or the 50 watt combo.

There's also the Carvin X100B:
http://carvinaudio.com/collections/X100B-tube-amplifier-series
Rockerverbs are fucking awesome.

Wattage selectors are pretty much useless, however (as Robbgnarly said) you can just pull a pair of tubes in most cases, and be at half power.

MIGs are nice if you do some modding to replace some of the cheap parts.

I also don't see the point in only wanting a single channel amp. They can do the job, but a second channel never hurts.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Fender, AC30, Laney tube amps all do pretty excellent clean tone and take pedals well.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If your tone comes from dirt pedals buy the biggest solid state amp Orange makes. Orange doesn't just make SS practice amps, they also make SS versions of their big tube amps for peoplr who don't need tube distortion.. You'll have a great clean sound, tons of headroom, and not have to spend money on power tubes later.
Quote by jpnyc
If your tone comes from dirt pedals buy the biggest solid state amp Orange makes. Orange doesn't just make SS practice amps, they also make SS versions of their big tube amps for peoplr who don't need tube distortion.. You'll have a great clean sound, tons of headroom, and not have to spend money on power tubes later.

You can do a lot better than that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup

You can do a lot better than that.

I realize I'm swimming against UG groupthink, but there's nothing wrong with a using a solid state amp if you don't want tube amp distortion. Buzz Melvin made a career out of big transistor amps.
Quote by jpnyc
I realize I'm swimming against UG groupthink, but there's nothing wrong with a using a solid state amp if you don't want tube amp distortion. Buzz Melvin made a career out of big transistor amps.

i tried the CR120 and it really wasn't that great. its $450 for the head. for that you can do much better. i didn't try pedals with it, but from my experience dirt pedals don't always work as well with SS amps as they do tube amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I have a tube setup and a SS setup. The SS setup is usable and I have it as a backup or for events where I have to move my stuff around quickly. This avoids damaging more expensive stuff. But I find that even the cleans sound better on the tube amp. The compressor works better with the tube amp. Overdrive pedals don't sound good with the SS amp and the best distortion pedal for SS in my oppinion is the DD-11 Dime Distortion. Equipped with a 3 band eq helps tuning the right tone and backing off the gain allows it to be used for rock.