Page 1 of 2
How have you guys seen social media change over the years?

I was just scrolling down my Facebook feed, and I noticed how things had changed. Back in the day, Facebook was about people. Their lives through status updates. I know a lot of people hated it, but it was about the people at its core. People interacted with other, engaged, debated and had discussions about things – whether that was about politics or music or art or something.

Now, scrolling down Facebook is pretty sad. There’s the odd graduation pic, holiday photo or status update from a person, but for the most part it just seems like an endless stream of memes and monetised content Someone likes this article about The Walking Dead, someone shared this UniLad post, someone commented on this Kardashian meme. Not that those things are bad, but it seems people interact less with each other and it’s become more about sharing content you enjoy instead of updating others on your life and engaging with friends. Commenting on someone’s status seems almost taboo now, and most online interaction is done via messenger or WhatsApp.

Even Twitter is going this way. Instead of people talking about their lives, it’s becoming commonplace that a worthwhile post is simply quoting a funny Vine or photo and adding a bunch of crying face laughter emojis afterwards.

Either way, I think this is the reason why I’ve been using The Pit more in past years. People engage with each other and it feels far friendlier than Facebook does nowadays. I don’t know whether this is because I’m an annoying hipster / the age of myself and my friends, or the nature of social media is simply changing due to the sites we use and what people like, but it’d be interesting to hear some opinions.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
That's what you get when corporatism monopolises on postmodern theory m8

I had a period when I would post my oh so considered political beliefs on Facebook but then I learned to shut the fuck up

now I post music and the odd picture of my life.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
fucking buzzfeed the symbol for all that is wrong with captalist media

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
idk about that but sites like that certainly show how fucking bland it all is

I follow a group called Boring Dystopia on FB. Mildly amusing. Just catalogues the dull shit of neoliberal Britain. worth a giggle
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I remember when I was in early high school, MSN and Myspace were the big things,

Then in senior high school, Facebook was big.

Now it's all stupid shit like buzzfeed and people feeling like social media is the ideal place to air all their dirty laundry.

Plus, minion pictures everywhere
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I actually usually unfollow people who excessively comment on stupid clickbait stuff and so fill my feed up.

only exception is if I want to keep an eye out of proper posts they may make, for whatever reason.

and people posting about themselves constantly can be just as annoying. unfollowed one guy from school days who is super into working out and every fucking post is about his workout or diet or his gains (he's still a really tiny guy with a fucked up face so it's kinda hilarious if you look at it as a form of overcompensation) sprinkled with a few random motivational reposts or some shared post from lazar angelov or some similar dickhead.

then on the other side you get people like my best ex-au pair/nanny who now has a phd in forensic science or something and posts adorable things about her cat in between long essay posts about some political or social issue (thankfully we've got similar views so it's not ruining my fondness for her, just increasing it seeing my once immigrant goofy nanny turn into a smart successful person)
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by EndTheRapture51
it just seems like an endless stream of memes
Like Orange Memes III on Facebook.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I've never really interacted with anyone on fb but I definitely see what you mean about how it's gone from people actually posting statuses to just sharing click baity articles and those annoying as fuck motivational quotes with a picture of a minion on it.

I also have more interaction with you guys here than what I do with actual people, both in real life and on fb.
I use facebook to write to 3-4 friends who live far away.
The "news feed" is entirely pictures of people I don't know that were "liked" by someone I went to school with but haven't spoken to since. The people I care about don't post much.

And motivational quotes can fuck right the fuck off.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Like Orange Memes III on Facebook.

Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
this is part of the reason I deactivated my Facebook recently. Not that anyone forces me to read other peoples shit, but when it's all there laid out in front of me I would often find myself wasting time scrolling through that dumb garbage for no reason. When you stop using it to actually keep in touch with people, then it becomes pointless.

The only thing I miss from not having it is being reminded when peoples birthdays are, and getting updates from bands.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
this is part of the reason I deactivated my Facebook recently. Not that anyone forces me to read other peoples shit, but when it's all there laid out in front of me I would often find myself wasting time scrolling through that dumb garbage for no reason. When you stop using it to actually keep in touch with people, then it becomes pointless.

The only thing I miss from not having it is being reminded when peoples birthdays are, and getting updates from bands.

I pretty much just cull friends who annoy me. Basically, the deal is, I'll be your Facebook friend if you don't annoy me, so if you start posting stupid whiny statuses and motivational quotes, airing your dirty laundry, or just commenting the crying laughter emoji on stupid vine videos en masse, you're history.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
In the world of fb you are what u 'like'
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by i_lovemetallica
I pretty much just cull friends who annoy me. Basically, the deal is, I'll be your Facebook friend if you don't annoy me, so if you start posting stupid whiny statuses and motivational quotes, airing your dirty laundry, or just commenting the crying laughter emoji on stupid vine videos en masse, you're history.

If I did this I would have like 10 friends on Facebook and I actually talk to them in real life anyway so it would be pretty pointless. None of my actual friends ever post anything on Facebook anyway
Quote by Banjocal

I follow a group called Boring Dystopia on FB. Mildly amusing. Just catalogues the dull shit of neoliberal Britain. worth a giggle

I just found it and I already love this page.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I used to mildly dislike FB because of how self-centered and obsessive it made me feel. Now that it's turned into 9gag 2.0 I avoid it like the plague, because I know for a fact that if I allowed myself to look at that constant barrage of inoffensive (but unentertaining and rehashed to death) memes and videos, I'd never get off.

I check my FB a couple of times a week now. If a friend sends a message, I'll use the app. Let's all revert to e-mail please. Get 5 paragraph updates on your friends straight from them, find a pen-pal, or put your a thoughts into text. It can do anything Facebook does except to instantly gratify your whims. We can do it.
Facebook is the only social media site I use and that's only for communicating with certain people. I have pretty much everyone I know apart from close friends/family unfollowed because I don't care about their posts.

I keep getting shit in my newsfeed like "your teenage cousin liked some stupid meme pic"

I think the nature of social media is just changing, because lots of people like memes and clickbait articles for some reason.
I have nothing important to say
Websites like buzzfeed make the shitty social commentary that people used to make themselves. And linking a buzzfeed article takes less effort than writing up the comment yourself and gets the point across just as well for most people.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Websites like buzzfeed make the shitty social commentary that people used to make themselves. And linking a buzzfeed article takes less effort than writing up the comment yourself and gets the point across just as well for most people.

True, I never knew how much I loved pizza until it started appearing in every buzzfeed article ever
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica at #33667585
True, I never knew how much I loved pizza until it started appearing in every buzzfeed article ever

A man loves pizza, YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.

"he eats pizza?"

HE EATS MOTHERFUCKING PIZZA.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Facebook exists to me as an instant messenger to my wife and family, and a place to organize my groups. My school group, my band, and my fantasy football league all have separate groups that we can all post info/stuff and keep it pretty well contained and relevant.
90% of teens just use social media to carry out unpaid cognitive labour on behalf of multi-national corporations. Like this if you're part of the 10% who still use social media for reporting your daily activities.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by theguitarist

then on the other side you get people like my best ex-au pair/nanny who now has a phd in forensic science or something and posts adorable things about her cat in between long essay posts about some political or social issue (thankfully we've got similar views so it's not ruining my fondness for her, just increasing it seeing my once immigrant goofy nanny turn into a smart successful person)

"Hey I was just a skinny lad
Never knew no good from bad
But I knew love before I left my nursery
Left alone with big fat Fanny
She was such a naughty nanny
Heap big woman, you made a bad boy out of me
"
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Blocking LadBible posts was a nice thing that I did
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Arby911
"Hey I was just a skinny lad
Never knew no good from bad
But I knew love before I left my nursery
Left alone with big fat Fanny
She was such a naughty nanny
Heap big woman, you made a bad boy out of me
"

legit sent her a link to a video of that when she added me a few years ago.

got a wink smiley back and then a later "so handsome" pat on the head comment on my photo.

she got that curvy busty jet black hair thing going on still from her 20s when she was our nanny. some good memories of my preteens yeah.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I've got like 10 friends on Facebook, two of whom I actually talk to. The rest are made up of people from my old high school that I never talk to, Horsedick.MPEG, and Rev.

I have a Twitter but only so I can follow Youtubers I like and have funny shit to read while taking a shit.

Social media is eh.
Indeed. Remember about a year ago Twitter had a massive update that turned it significantly more visual. I think I remember reading somewhere that less teenagers are going on Facebook because they find it to be "heavy", i.e. they have to slog through gallons of shite just to see a status update.

I'm interested to see what comes next, because something always comes next. It certainly seems like social media sites have a lifespan.

EDIT: I think Snapchat and Instagram will last a long time because of their minimalism.

Btw you should all watch a documentary called Generation Like. It's scary.
Last edited by WhiskeyFace at Nov 5, 2015,
My feed is a healthy mix of "content" and updates. The UG trend of being 2 cool 4 FB continues...

"People interacted with other, engaged, debated and had discussions about things – whether that was about politics or music or art or something."

I don't ever remember FB being like this.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
let's be clear: facebook was always shit

i think the phenomenon you're describing happens because some individuals will adapt to new media platforms faster than marketing platforms can, so there's a "golden age" before it gets steamrolled by monetization, and i think in these cases monetization does eventually lead to lower quality platforms for those individuals (everyone else doesn't really care). large centralized general communities are better for ad revenue than tons of small decentralized niche communities. people like us (members of what is a small niche subcommunity of a wood&strings forum) probably much prefer the latter, but i think for most people who don't really care too much about being a part of an online community, large central and accessible communities are much better.
Quote by Xiaoxi
My feed is a healthy mix of "content" and updates. The UG trend of being 2 cool 4 FB continues...

"People interacted with other, engaged, debated and had discussions about things – whether that was about politics or music or art or something."

I don't ever remember FB being like this.

did u even use facebook in sixth form it was #MENTAL banter

The group chat is the only thing on facebook still worth using. I don't give a shit about buzzfeed articles, terrible memes, minion pictures, baby pictures, pro marijuana pictures, I love my boyfriend statuses, etc.
social media is the shittiest thing ever. its now so easy to make plans then flake out, and cause stupid drama because everyone is a keyboard warrior. FB is useful for keeping in contact with people that live on the other side of the country/world, but when you use it to message people who live 5 minutes away its just so pointless

its caused way too much shit and still does because unless you want like 4 friends you're forced to put up with all the bullshit. I had it deleted for a good 2 years, and honestly, it was great. It really shows who your real friends are and who can be bothered to actually keep in touch. I was pretty much forced to get it back because it is useful for organising group stuff. But now there's whatsapp which has a fantastic group messenger
people would rather consume than produce. they are lazy. it's silly to blame Buzzfeed - people don't have to consume that stuff... but they will. if anything, Buzzfeed at least has a large community of non-paid users who are welcome to contribute to the site and produce their own content.

you don't need Buzzfeed to produce content though, yall - if this shit bothers you, start making your own content and encouraging others to do the same. now may be the only time in history when the Internet is free enough to host the user-generated content that it does - start producing now, before it is too late.

/saadiaprophecy
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Bladez22
social media is the shittiest thing ever. its now so easy to make plans then flake out, and cause stupid drama because everyone is a keyboard warrior. FB is useful for keeping in contact with people that live on the other side of the country/world, but when you use it to message people who live 5 minutes away its just so pointless

its caused way too much shit and still does because unless you want like 4 friends you're forced to put up with all the bullshit. I had it deleted for a good 2 years, and honestly, it was great. It really shows who your real friends are and who can be bothered to actually keep in touch. I was pretty much forced to get it back because it is useful for organising group stuff. But now there's whatsapp which has a fantastic group messenger

I use Facebook to keep in contact with friends (have about 6 group chats with various combinations of people) but I like typing on a keyboard so I have it tabbed and it auto updates so that's where I see most of this shit. And it's honestly just terrible. I was never really a Facebook elitist, but how the site has declined in quality is quite shocking.

Quote by vintage x metal
people would rather consume than produce. they are lazy. it's silly to blame Buzzfeed - people don't have to consume that stuff... but they will. if anything, Buzzfeed at least has a large community of non-paid users who are welcome to contribute to the site and produce their own content.

you don't need Buzzfeed to produce content though, yall - if this shit bothers you, start making your own content and encouraging others to do the same. now may be the only time in history when the Internet is free enough to host the user-generated content that it does - start producing now, before it is too late.

/saadiaprophecy

It's not that consuming content is bad, or that I want to produce content, it's just I'd prefer people went back to sharing things about their lives rather than popular relatable posts and memes I'm friends with these people so I can see what they're up to not because I wanna see what meme or funny video they like.

Instagram is alright for that kinda stuff though. Too filtered though.

Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Nov 5, 2015,
Yeh. Back in the day, people would complain about "omg no one cares what you ate for lunch stop posting about it on facebook." Now posting about what you ate for lunch would actually be more interesting than 95% of the shit on there.

Instagram was better for a while because people mostly posted pictures they took, but now it's devolved into reposting of memes and stupid screenshots of "quotes."
Quote by TheChaz
Yeh. Back in the day, people would complain about "omg no one cares what you ate for lunch stop posting about it on facebook." Now posting about what you ate for lunch would actually be more interesting than 95% of the shit on there.

Instagram was better for a while because people mostly posted pictures they took, but now it's devolved into reposting of memes and stupid screenshots of "quotes."

I love the pictures that have been so filtered and shared so many times that they're just image artefacts and about 4 legible pixels

I recently had to reactivate my FB to get verified for this car rental app, so they know I'm a real person or whatever. Didn't miss it at all.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Page 1 of 2