hi guys!

I have recently started with guitar lessons. What songs or chords can you recommend for me that is nice to play and practice on an acoustic guitar?

thanks so much
as always when starting out with something new. getting the basics down is important. C A G E D are probably the major chords you'll use most. Am, Em are the most common minors. good luck with the lessons. the first few months are usually pretty difficult but if you stick with it, the reward when things get a lot easier are well worth it.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
All of them. Well that aside, learning your basic major and minor chords in your first position (this means the ones that are the closest to the nut/open strings, things like Eminor, cmajor etc). These are the duct tape of chords; easy to learn, easy to use, and can be applied to just about any song. Learning some basic 4 chord songs will get you up to scratch in your chord playing. By playing just G Dm Em C you can play a plethora of popular songs, as shown by Axis of Awesome (though technically they're in a different key, it's the same progression)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I
Quote by MiniQT
hi guys!

I have recently started with guitar lessons. What songs or chords can you recommend for me that is nice to play and practice on an acoustic guitar?

thanks so much
Well, I "recommend" learning the I, IV, & V, (chords built on the 1st, 4th, & 5th steps of a major scale), in "sets", if you will.

The I, IV, V chords for the key of C major are, C, F, & G, For D, they're D, G, & A, for G, they would be, G, C & D.

Tons and tons of songs use only these three chords, that is, the chords on the 1,4, & 5 scale steps. The key of G major is probably the most common, (G, C, & D), but while the key often changes, the use of those musical "intervals" never does.

Learning the way chords attach to a given scale, is the "being taught to fish, instead of being given a fish", approach to music. It segues quite nicely into a painless way of learning basic musical theory.

My "three chord songs" are going to be different than your, "three chord songs". It makes no sense for me to suggest you play mine.. Better you should check out our "Tab" section, and try to find easy stuff which appeals to you.

On the outside chance you like country music, a lot of those songs are three chorders, but you'll have to learn how to recognize when a "cheater" (capo) is being used to change the key. (If you are playing in C (C, F, & G), and put a capo on the 2nd fret, you're now in the key D , while still using the "C shapes". And lots and lots of big name artists, often use capos.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 8, 2015,
I'd suggest justinguitar.com. Great on-line beginner lessons for free and you'll learn some easy songs very quickly.
I'm a new player so I'm in the same boat. Some I've enjoyed are

Country Roads (G, Em, C, D)
Lion Sleeps Tonight (G, D, A)
I Can See Clearly Now (D, G, A, C)
500 Miles by Peter, Paul, & Mary (G, Em, C, Am, D7)
Knockin' on Heaven's Door (G, D, Am, C)
Let it Be (G, D7, Em, C)
Stand By Me (G, Em, C, D7)

What kind of music are you interested in playing?
Quote by MiniQT
hi guys!

thanks so much

I found learning & practicing the C major Pentatonic scale really helped for practicing. Identifying the positions and then being able to move within the positions and then joining positions up. (As well as the open chords that the other guys have mentioned.)
The best thing to do is to bring some suggestions to your teacher of songs that you actually already really like and that are slow enough to be easy.

Music is 100 times more fun if you're playing material that moves you. Learning a bunch of random songs is a recipe for quitting 3 months from now.
or you could ask your guitar teacher for some more song suggestions you could learn.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I think it's also good to push yourself by working on a song that is just beyond your current skill level. That's how you get better. Like reverb said, it's best to pick songs you actually like as well.