Yeah, I think that's what I would do.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
yeah cut time sounds reasonable for both of those
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Agreed.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
you should close this before it becomes a mode thread jet
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
you should close this before it becomes a mode thread jet

Why? Don't you like the F mixolydian (fifth scale shape position of C major/C ionian) key? I think it's harmonic minor dorian equivalent, D harmonic dorian, is wonderful.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I'd say keep it in 4. There's no preference for longer note values in the bass - what's wrong with 8ths? I mean you could do it in cut time, but I don't see the gain beyond ease of notation.
Last edited by cdgraves at Nov 5, 2015,
The general approach for this would be "whatever is easiest for the performers/interpreters". Because if it comes out the sane, then the only thing that matters is which way is easiest to read.
Quote by cdgraves
I'd say keep it in 4. There's no preference for longer note values in the bass - what's wrong with 8ths? I mean you could do it in cut time, but I don't see the gain beyond ease of notation.
"Ease of notation" is the main point. Simplicity both in writing and reading. The fewer marks on the page the better.

In that sense, 4/4 and 2/2 are identical (the only difference being the time sig symbol and a BPM figure).
So it becomes about how you'd count it, how fast it feels. Does counting the quarters feel uncomfortably fast? Certainly does in Dreams of Love, but maybe not in Blues Run The Game. (I'd write the bass in quarters for both - it just looks neater - which means DOL at least would have to be 2/2.)
But the guitar style is identical. One is a slower version of the other, so the BPM should reflect that.

I think I'm going to go with 2/2 for a tune in any similar style, to be consistent (most are faster than BRTG). Unless maybe the half-note count becomes painfully slow.....

Thanks to all. And mods can now close this thread before we start talking about modes...

BTW, I still blush with pride every time I see Hail's signature. I now want to have his babies, but I may need an operation first. Wait for me, my darling!
Last edited by jongtr at Nov 6, 2015,
desu desu sugoi nii-chan ;-3
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.