hey brothers,

My main axe for rock/funk/fusion stuff is a Godin Velocity. I played an RnB/Soul gig with a large ensemble in an auditorium and got buried pretty good. Every time I would crank my sound up my tones were terrible. I feel as though I heard the attack more than the actual notes. Super high and squeaky tones coming out. The neck pickup is a humbucker seymour duncan but i feel its not great at all. The bridge is a single coil Godin stock which is actually ok, but hums like crazy. I am looking to replace both for with something for some serious tones that cut, are not too high rangy, and sound killer for solos/ funk picking. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT PICKUPS!!!

HEEELPP MEEE!!!!

love you guys!
What amp are you using? Duncan SSL pickups are a nice vintage set that should get you where you are going. But, if your amp is not particularly well suited for gigging, it won't matter much what pickups you have in your guitar.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Nov 5, 2015,
The Godin Velocity is a nice HSS Superstrat, but as I recall, it was designed with shredders in mind. That means the pickups were among the hotter ones Godin installed.

You probably want something with a bit more traditional output.

However, as ThunderPunk rightly points out, getting an appropriate amp would help you even more, even with hot pickups. There are guys who have played for Parliament/Funkadelic using BC Rich guitars, soooooo...

And if you're constantly changing amps by venue. You're going to have a devil of a time dialing in your tone.

Instead of doing a pickup swap right now- which you may still need- save up for a decent amp of your own to gig with. For most Funk/Soul/R&B, you want nice clean cleans. I'd start by looking at Fender, Carvin and Vox.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have a Vox AC30 in my setup. When i play gigs I am usually using fender twins or blues juniors/ deluxe etc.. Amps should be ok! I'm not using anything thats not a great amp
Ok, sounds like the amps are good...but why aren't you using the Vox? I ask because you're still going to have the issue of properly dialing your tone in on a (relatively) unfamiliar amp.

But since you seem to have the amp issue squared away, what is your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

It's hard to move the vox around! Thats the only thing I take it as a last resort.

My budget is not huge, but im looking to invest in a shitty product. Maybe looking to spend $250- $300 for both pickups
With $300, you're not going to get the best of the best, but you can still get good stuff.

Assuming you replace all 3 pickups (for ease of tonal balancing) I'd look at:

1) Seymour Duncan: '59 HB and a pair of their Lipsticks for the singlecoils. It's the combo Godin uses in their Belmont. Pretty versatile overall.

2) Lace Alumitones: super clean and noiseless. (Due to their design, Alumitone HBs and singlecoil sized pickups essentially sound the same.)

3) Tesla VR-60 Classic, OPUS 1 or OPUS 4 humbucker, and OPUS-S1 singlecoils.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 5, 2015,
I'd go with a set of Duncan Classic Stack Plus for the neck & middle, and a Lil '59 for the bridge. You will get hum-free sound without icepick highs and compression that hotter pickups have.