Hello UG Community!

I really need your assistance this time, let me briefly explain it :

Tonight i have a gig and i have a Fender DeVille 212 that would be mic'ed, Unlucky me, there are no monitors speakers and i would like to use the external speaker from the amp as my own monitor (yeah, i would be kind of far of the amp, plus the noise of the drums and bass) which is a Marshall JVMC212 that has a load of 16 ohms. i have read that the external speaker jack is designed for a 4 ohms cabinet.
The million dollar question would be :

Is it safe to plug this cab into the amp?
If it is, what would be the "Side effects" (volume loss, etc)?

I would really appreciate any information! If i can't, well i would have to deal with it.
But please let me know.

Thanks!
Quote by josegraciaonett
Hello UG Community!

I really need your assistance this time, let me briefly explain it :

Tonight i have a gig and i have a Fender DeVille 212 that would be mic'ed, Unlucky me, there are no monitors speakers and i would like to use the external speaker from the amp as my own monitor (yeah, i would be kind of far of the amp, plus the noise of the drums and bass) which is a Marshall JVMC212 that has a load of 16 ohms. i have read that the external speaker jack is designed for a 4 ohms cabinet.
The million dollar question would be :

Is it safe to plug this cab into the amp?
If it is, what would be the "Side effects" (volume loss, etc)?

I would really appreciate any information! If i can't, well i would have to deal with it.
But please let me know.

Thanks!

No, excessive mismatch, failure up to and possibly including smoke and flames.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
No, excessive mismatch, failure up to and possibly including smoke and flames.

Hey, thanks Arby911 for your quick response.

If that's the case, i would have to deal with it.

One more question, what if i had an 8 ohms ext cab?
Would it work?
Quote by josegraciaonett
Hey, thanks Arby911 for your quick response.

If that's the case, i would have to deal with it.

One more question, what if i had an 8 ohms ext cab?
Would it work?

While it's not preferable, it's pretty commonly accepted that most Fender amps can stand a 2-1 (or in this case, 1-2) mismatch but YMMV.

I personally wouldn't do it unless I truly had no other options. It would probably be fine but I'd be worried the entire time.

The 16 ohm 2x12 cab you mentioned will have 2 8 ohm speakers in it wired in series. A simple rewire to parallel makes it a 4 ohm cab...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
While it's not preferable, it's pretty commonly accepted that most Fender amps can stand a 2-1 (or in this case, 1-2) mismatch but YMMV.

I personally wouldn't do it unless I truly had no other options. It would probably be fine but I'd be worried the entire time.

The 16 ohm 2x12 cab you mentioned will have 2 8 ohm speakers in it wired in series. A simple rewire to parallel makes it a 4 ohm cab...

Yeah, i see....I Remember now that a couple of years ago, i was using a Bassman head, which had a 4 ohms output into a 8 ohms MG412 and had no problem.

And thanks again for the tip on rewiring the cab, i would have it on mind!