Ive just been offered a gibson midtown, it is apparently a prototype from 1996, on all the others I've seen there are a few differences the logo on the headstock under the gibson badge is slight different etc. In the f hole the gibson sticker is present but without a signature or name on it. The quality and sound of the guitar is gorgeous, I've never owned a gibson but the neck is 10x better quality than my epiphone. I'm just wondering if it is genuine and how much the instrument is worth!?! Seems like a really decent bloke and is making both me and my dad guitars! And it's payday tomorrow haha!
Best thing I have learned is play the damn thing and if you like it ( love it !!) get it
I have a grandma waiting here for sale or swap for a Midtown anyone interested ???
Two of my guitars are more budget priced , Washburn & Vintage and they play better than
a lot of much more expensive guitars , don't just think because they cost a bundle they are better buys your going to be using it are you happy to pay out for it ??
I know what you're saying mate it plays wonderful but I don't want to be paying gibson prices for not a gibson!
Quote by greeny1248
Ive just been offered a gibson midtown, it is apparently a prototype from 1996, on all the others I've seen there are a few differences the logo on the headstock under the gibson badge is slight different etc. In the f hole the gibson sticker is present but without a signature or name on it. The quality and sound of the guitar is gorgeous, I've never owned a gibson but the neck is 10x better quality than my epiphone. I'm just wondering if it is genuine and how much the instrument is worth!?! Seems like a really decent bloke and is making both me and my dad guitars! And it's payday tomorrow haha!

I highly doubt there had been a prototype 14 years before they came out

got pictures ?
Quote by paruwi
I highly doubt there had been a prototype 14 years before they came out

got pictures ?

Yeah it looked spotless as well, I've asked him to email me some pictures across as I went to see it earlier. Should have got the serial number!
Quote by greeny1248
Ive just been offered a gibson midtown, it is apparently a prototype from 1996,

Unlikely.
Tread carefully -- and go see a *real* Midtown before you buy, just to make sure. The sticker is (obviously) easy to fake, and most of the worth in that guitar is in the logo on the headstock. There ARE Midtown fakes out there. Even if it's a real Gibbie, a "prototype" is not going to be worth half what the real thing can get, because you can NEVER prove to anyone what it's provenance might be.

I'm not a big fan of the Midtowns; the Carvin SH series is very similar and far better done for nearly the same new price (the woods are spectacular). The Carvins are carved tops, where the Midtowns are flat top guitars, and the finishes are far nicer.

My best advice would be to steer clear.
It's not even close to a Midtown.
The top of the f-holes on a Midtown end about the middle of the bridge pickup, for example. Body shape is wrong, control placement is wrong.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 6, 2015,
That's odd... kinda looks like a 339, but not quite.

Walk away.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Yeah, count your lucky stars you came here first. Walk away from that one.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Thanks for the help! Will have a word with him as he is supposed to be making me a guitar, hope it's a genuine mistake!
I don't know what it is but it is not a Midtown and I'm not sure it is even a real Gibson. Looks like an older Chinese knock off.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Nov 6, 2015,
Quote by greeny1248
Will have a word with him as he is supposed to be making me a guitar!

I'd think twice.
Also, shouldn't the tuners have a Grover stamp?

(Invalid img)
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
What does the serial number really matter? It's very easy to fake.

I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to Gibsons, but that looks like a fake. The body shape just seems odd to me and something in the headstock doesn't look right. I would stay away from it. If something doesn't look quite right, it's better to play safe. Don't buy it.

If you really like it (and not just the name on the headstock), do whatever you want, but to my understanding selling a fake is illegal. And even if it wasn't, don't expect it to have any resale value. And definitely don't pay a "Gibson price" for it.

If somebody is selling a fake, they are most likely trying to rip you off. It's not a "genuine mistake". You need to be careful when buying online. You shouldn't trust people too much because online it's really easy to screw people over.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 7, 2015,
Quote by greeny1248
http://9gag.com/gag/aDmLyq7?ref=android legit serial number imprinted

Most Chinese fakes have a serial number that will show up in Gibson's dater.
That guitar is absolutely and unquestionably a fake and is not a prototype of anything.

Send the photo to Gibson and ask them.

If the guy offering it as real is unaware, I don't want him building me a guitar.
And if the guy offering it as real IS aware, I don't want him building me a guitar.