Hello,

This is my first post. I usually read this forum to get some info about guitars and now I think I need some help from anyone who is familiar with Telecaster guitars.
I am in Europe and English is not my mother language so sorry if write something wrong.

First of all, I used to hate Telecaster guitar shapes but this was until... two or three weeks ago. I am a SG guy (yes, AC/DC everywhere...)

The point is I am thinking on buying a "good" guitar because I have already two but they are low-mid Samick. So I want a guitar for a long time and I was thinking about paying something like 1000 euros maximum.

I love playing Creedence, AC/DC, and old school rock and blues (60's and 70's), but I like any kind of music if the song deserves it.

I found they are selling this guitar here in my country and it is a B-stock because it has a dent of about 1.5 cm diameter (something like 6 inches). The rest of the guitar looks quite good and they are selling it for little more than 700 euros; I have checked some other sites and the price for this guitar as new is minimum 1,100 euros.

I think is a great opportunity but I would like some advice from you who are for sure more experienced than me. Thanks for answering.

I will add some pictures so you can check the condition.
Attachments:
IMG_0601a.jpg
IMG_0605a.jpg
IMG_20151105_114914a.jpg
IMG_0606a.jpg
if you can live with the ding then why not. i like those style of teles myself. check and see what used ones go for and use that as a price comparison as well.
I agree, if you can live with the ding, go for it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I like buying guitars with dings cause I know I will ding it soon enough. 700E for a MiM Tele sounds awfully precious though. You would be able to find a similar guitar here for $450. Mex Teles usually sell for 1/2 Made in USA sell for. Not sure about your market there as the EU always slams you guys with taxes, duty, VAT etc.

Tele is da Kine!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Really?! 450 $?? That is 413 euros!

I thought it was a bargain because the guitar is supposed to be new (it was on exibition or returned by some customer).

It means this guitar new costs something like 700 euros (762 dollars) or less in USA, and this is what they are asking for the one with the ding. wow..

Well the fact is they sell it for 1,200 euros new here, I didnt know there was such a big difference in price.

I didn't say it but I guess you knew it, it is a Telecaster Custom 72.
Quote by frangs
1.5 cm diameter (something like 6 inches)

wat.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JagerSlushy
wat.

He just missed the decimal point off. It should be .6 inch, check the photo's he attached.
Quote by Cajundaddy
I like buying guitars with dings cause I know I will ding it soon enough. 700E for a MiM Tele sounds awfully precious though. You would be able to find a similar guitar here for $450. Mex Teles usually sell for 1/2 Made in USA sell for. Not sure about your market there as the EU always slams you guys with taxes, duty, VAT etc.

Tele is da Kine!

Most countries have higher prices and lower spending power than the US, at least in the middle income ranges. It isn't just taxes etc, it is also things like high importer markup to offset the risks of slow sales of warehouse stock and warranty work.
Go for it; in fact, one of the first things I do after playing my new guitars for a while is making them B-stock myself!
Quote by JustRooster
Go for it; in fact, one of the first things I do after playing my new guitars for a while is making them B-stock myself!

Lol. The fact is I had almost taken a decision to buy it but after knowing the price in US my whole world collapsed! lol

I know it must be the same for all guitars, but it hurts. It's like "if it costs $700, it mustn't be such a good guitar". I know it's silly but it's kind of psychological thing. I think I will check in European forums.
not a bargain. ripoff. save a few weeks and buy a new one.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
Quote by frangs
Lol. The fact is I had almost taken a decision to buy it but after knowing the price in US my whole world collapsed! lol

I know it must be the same for all guitars, but it hurts. It's like "if it costs $700, it mustn't be such a good guitar". I know it's silly but it's kind of psychological thing. I think I will check in European forums.

Yes, check local "actual selling" prices not list prices for a similar guitar. It may very well be a bargain where you are. I suspect a righteous Tele is in your future. I wanted nothing to do with those ugly things until a friend left one with me to play for a while... Oh my! Tele is now my #1 axe.

Here is a MiM Std Tele from Thomann EU
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_standard_telecaster_mn_bk.htm

Maybe offer 550E for the dinger??
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 5, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Yes, check local "actual selling" prices not list prices for a similar guitar. It may very well be a bargain where you are. I suspect a righteous Tele is in your future. I wanted nothing to do with those ugly things until a friend left one with me to play for a while... Oh my! Tele is now my #1 axe.

Here is a MiM Std Tele from Thomann EU
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_standard_telecaster_mn_bk.htm

Maybe offer 550E for the dinger??

But the guitar they are offering me is this one http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_72_telecaster_custom_mn_bk.htm, it's 1,129 euros; and your link is the Standard, for 609 euros.
It is almost twice the price. The custom 72 is supposed to be better than the standard with this difference in price?
Quote by DeviousByNature
not a bargain. ripoff. save a few weeks and buy a new one.

Can you argue that? It is a discount of more than 400euros over the original price (1.129 euros).
I have just bought it, my wife saying "buy it" was the boost needed to take a decision .

Thanks for the opinions.

For years I used to hate these guitars because of this square shape and I ended buying my best guitar up to now and already loving it before being shipped home!
Quote by frangs
I have just bought it, my wife saying "buy it" was the boost needed to take a decision .

Thanks for the opinions.

For years I used to hate these guitars because of this square shape and I ended buying my best guitar up to now and already loving it before being shipped home!

for the mrs. you never know what you might actually love until you try it. wasn't a strat guy when i first started to play but a few years back i found one that i liked and haven't looked back. not much of a tele guy but given a choice the one you got would be what i'd get.
Quote by frangs

Thanks for the opinions.

Nice

When I started all I wanted was a LP, and I hated the "country" look of a Tele. Now 20+ yrs later I have had more Tele style guitars that any other. Hell I own 2 right now
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by monwobobbo
for the mrs. you never know what you might actually love until you try it. wasn't a strat guy when i first started to play but a few years back i found one that i liked and haven't looked back. not much of a tele guy but given a choice the one you got would be what i'd get.

Now the only guitar I "hate" is the strat. I don't know why but since a kid I love the Gibson SG (probably because my first 7 or 8 albums were all AC/DC's ).
I think I didn't like the strat because it was/is the guitar that everybody plays, but seeing how I gave up on my Tele hate, I don't discard I will end up buying some Strat.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Nice

When I started all I wanted was a LP, and I hated the "country" look of a Tele. Now 20+ yrs later I have had more Tele style guitars that any other. Hell I own 2 right now

Yes, the LP is another guitar I love. I don't know why but I probably tended to associate LP and SG Gibson with hard rock which is what I used to listen to when a child.
Probably, the fact of the Fender being more versatile (as I have read in many forum) makes it is used by bands of different styles (funk, country, pop, etc...), not only rock.
Quote by frangs
Yes, the LP is another guitar I love. I don't know why but I probably tended to associate LP and SG Gibson with hard rock which is what I used to listen to when a child.
Probably, the fact of the Fender being more versatile (as I have read in many forum) makes it is used by bands of different styles (funk, country, pop, etc...), not only rock.

Yeah I have a LP and an SG, 2 tele styles, PRS and a Ibanez JS-100

Variety is the spice of life
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The benefit of buying a guitar with a ding or chip already in it is you won't have to kick yourself when you put a ding or chip in it.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Hi again.

I have already received the guitar.

Love the appearance and the touch (for example I have only to gently push with my left hand for a Fmajor chord opposite to my Samicks), but I have some issues with the pick-ups (although I have only tested it for less than hour).

I am used to play my Samick-Greg Bennett Torino 30 (this one: http://gregbennettguitars.com/guitars/electric/torino-series/tr30/). It has Dual Duncan Designed humbucker pickups (HB-103N, HB 103B).

The fact is that I feel that the output of the Duncan Designed pickups is higher than that of the Telecaster Custom 72 ones (Bridge: Standard Single-Coil Tele; Neck: Fender "Wide Range" Humbucking).

What I do is this. I use a Blackstar ID Core 10 at home.
When I want a sound lets say AC/DC type (to be more precise Back in Black or Highway to hell style; this creamy full distorted sound with open chords) I select Super-crunch on the amp and I just need 1/3 of the effect level and the volume pot to get that sound when I am playing the Samick guitar.

I do the same with the Telecaster and I don't get that solid distortion (of course with the Neck Humbucking because I understand that the Bridge Single-Coil is not suitable for this). It's like I need more distortion because every string sounds more by itself, alone, than with Duncan Designed, but even with more volume I can't get that creamy sound.

What do you think guys? Is that a correct sensation? With your experience on different guitars, does it correspond to the reality?
Yes, every guitar has different tonal characteristics and some will require different amp settings. To get Ac/DC snarl from a Tele, try this:

Increase gain on the amp
Use bridge pickup, full volume, roll off tone to taste.

I can get AC/DC, GNR, and others just manipulating amp gain and guitar tone controls.

Quote by Cajundaddy
Yes, every guitar has different tonal characteristics and some will require different amp settings. To get Ac/DC snarl from a Tele, try this:

Increase gain on the amp

I can get AC/DC, GNR, and others just manipulating amp gain and guitar tone controls.

It's Ok Cajundaddy (is your nickname a wink at CCR's universe (Born on the Bayou)?), but I still feel that I can't get that level of signal saturation.

I guess that is typical from Telecaster pickups, but for some reason I thought I would get a "better" creamy full song with the Fender humbucking than with the Seymour Duncan Designed. After all, the Samick is a 300-400euro guitar and the Telecaster is three or four times that price in Europe.

I wonder if the difference is just the ouput level of the pickups which takes the signal to a higher level and then it gets a higher level of distortion at the amp as well.
Quote by frangs

The fact is that I feel that the output of the Duncan Designed pickups is higher than that of the Telecaster Custom 72 ones (Bridge: Standard Single-Coil Tele; Neck: Fender "Wide Range" Humbucking).

What I do is this. I use a Blackstar ID Core 10 at home.
When I want a sound lets say AC/DC type (to be more precise Back in Black or Highway to hell style; this creamy full distorted sound with open chords) I select Super-crunch on the amp and I just need 1/3 of the effect level and the volume pot to get that sound when I am playing the Samick guitar.

I do the same with the Telecaster and I don't get that solid distortion (of course with the Neck Humbucking because I understand that the Bridge Single-Coil is not suitable for this).

Generally, single coils are not going to have the same output as humbuckers. You may need to boost them (pedal, boost choice on amp or preamp) if you want to get up to the same levels.

Worth noting, however, that AC/DC is NOT about creamy distortion, and the sound of AC/DC is probably more Malcolm than Angus, particularly in the Back In Black era. And the guitar is a Gretsch with a toaster pickup (and not much else) in the bridge position. Malcolm plays a relatively clean sound, and very percussive, while Angus is a bit more overdriven, but still NOT creamy by any means. You can hear very distinctly where each is playing. Generally, it's only people who play this stuff by themselves who crank up the gain.
Quote by dspellman
Generally, single coils are not going to have the same output as humbuckers. You may need to boost them (pedal, boost choice on amp or preamp) if you want to get up to the same levels.

Worth noting, however, that AC/DC is NOT about creamy distortion, and the sound of AC/DC is probably more Malcolm than Angus, particularly in the Back In Black era. And the guitar is a Gretsch with a toaster pickup (and not much else) in the bridge position. Malcolm plays a relatively clean sound, and very percussive, while Angus is a bit more overdriven, but still NOT creamy by any means. You can hear very distinctly where each is playing. Generally, it's only people who play this stuff by themselves who crank up the gain.

Well, I am quite happy with the sound I get with the Seymour Duncan pickups. It's not that I am obssesed with getting exactly the AC/DC sound.
What I wanted to point out is that, for this kind of music, even the Seymour Duncan Designed sound better than the Fender Humbucking Wide Range, IMO.

It would be perfect for me if this Telecaster had a SD pickup (or something similar) instead of the Fender Humbucker. I think this would make the guitar even more versatile, as you could play quite clean open chords without distortion using the Single-Coil and also this hard rock riffs just with a flick of the switch...

I am very happy although with the guitar.
Quote by frangs
It's Ok Cajundaddy (is your nickname a wink at CCR's universe (Born on the Bayou)?), but I still feel that I can't get that level of signal saturation.

I guess that is typical from Telecaster pickups, but for some reason I thought I would get a "better" creamy full song with the Fender humbucking than with the Seymour Duncan Designed. After all, the Samick is a 300-400euro guitar and the Telecaster is three or four times that price in Europe.

I wonder if the difference is just the ouput level of the pickups which takes the signal to a higher level and then it gets a higher level of distortion at the amp as well.

BBQ style not birthplace

"creamy full song" is definitely inside every Tele, you just haven't found it yet. Keep digging.

Quote by Cajundaddy
To get Ac/DC snarl from a Tele, try this:

Increase gain on the amp

Don't forget to get real drunk.
Quote by Cajundaddy
BBQ style not birthplace

"creamy full song" is definitely inside every Tele, you just haven't found it yet. Keep digging.

Ah ok, lol.

I was thinking about the Born on the Bayou lyrics:
"...when i was just a little boy standin' to my daddy's knee...
Wish i was back on the bayou rollin' with some cajun queen..."

Lol. I am probably listening to CCR too much lately.

You probably are right about the Tele, I am loving it more every minute I spend playing it. It's maybe a question of getting accostumed.
Quote by frangs
Ah ok, lol.

You probably are right about the Tele, I am loving it more every minute I spend playing it. It's maybe a question of getting accostumed.

Tele's rule
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by frangs
Ah ok, lol.

you will have to make a few adjustments. fender even with humbuckers tend to be voiced for cleaner sounds to blues breakup and not so much for hard rock. as metnioned just make soem adjustments on your amp and don't forget the tone controls as well. your guitar should be able to get a reasonable AC/DC sound as hot pickups aren't a part of that (massive volume is). it is different and needs a somewhat different approach.
Quote by monwobobbo
you will have to make a few adjustments. fender even with humbuckers tend to be voiced for cleaner sounds to blues breakup and not so much for hard rock. as metnioned just make soem adjustments on your amp and don't forget the tone controls as well. your guitar should be able to get a reasonable AC/DC sound as hot pickups aren't a part of that (massive volume is). it is different and needs a somewhat different approach.

Yes, this is what I am feeling at the moment. IT's ok, It is only that I never owned a Fender and I was probably used to other kind of sounds, but it is good to have guitars which can shine in different styles.
Quote by frangs
Yes, this is what I am feeling at the moment. IT's ok, It is only that I never owned a Fender and I was probably used to other kind of sounds, but it is good to have guitars which can shine in different styles.

don't forget that in many cases the amp is what does the most work for getting many tones. i use my strats for hard rock and metal all the time. yes it takes some effort dialing the sound in but it can be done (within reason) this often is what messes guys up as they have their amp set one way and then are baffles when a different guitar doesn't sound the same.