Before you start no I'm not talking about stickers on your guitar.

Do any of you or have any of you done anything to personalize your guitar? Custom truss rod cover, gold hardware, after-market pick guard, knobs, anything?

Thinking about personalizing my Epiphone Thunderhorse but don't know what to do to make it unique. Thinking of getting a custom truss rod cover off of eBay.

Interested if anyone does things like this on here. Of if you're all purists lmao
There are a LOT of folks who mod their guitars here, but what you're looking at probably won't be noticed by anyone but you.

Personally, I've often chosen guitars that are already significantly different from the usual run-of-the-GC-wall stuff.

But when I've modded something, I'm usually going after it a bit more seriously. I have two guitars that were LPs that have carved neck heels, Floyds with big brass sustain blocks, Fernandes sustainers, active sweepable mids boost on a push-pull, a moved master volume, a sustainer intensity knob, a hot '57 (9.2kohm) bridge pickup, a single-coil size 18Kohm neck pickup, jumbo frets, a 16" radius and a wide/thin neck profile with ebony fretboards and abalone block inlays. Oh, and a Buckethead-style kill switch.

We're not purists, and I don't often mod, but when I do, we don't half-ass it.
Dspellman, I like the way you roll.. When I mod I try to add something to it.. Example is my Washburn Maverick BT6, I believe it's made in Indonesia by Samick (after they moved some production over there).. The trem claw screws were crooked, there was an additional hole in the body cavity going to the middle pickup cavity (weird thing is its not needed) after filling the hole and painting repaired section, I also repaired the trem claw screws hole, had to buy long drill bit to be able to make correct angle. while the original electronics work, I installed push-pull pot to coil-split the upgraded MightyMite Bluebuckers.... and i got it professionally regret with Jescar SS frets.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Nov 6, 2015,
Lol personalizing =/= modding. I understand upgrading the electronics and stuff but like making it look unique y'know. Not in a overly dorky kinda way though.
Cosmetically, there are all kinds of pickguards, truss rod covers, and even pickup covers you can get. Custom paint jobs. Anodized hardware in all kinds of colors.

And you can add functionality with things like piezo systems, tremolo bridges, coil splits or taps, sustainers, b-benders, d tunas, and even Kaoss pads (or their equivalent).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 6, 2015,
Simple upgrade is changing the original stock tuners (if they are good quality then you can skip this part), if you can find drop in locking tuners; then that's great. If not, you need to fill screw holes and drill new ones for the new tuners you want to install. I prefer locking tuners. There are many many brands (Grover, Schaller, Gotoh, Wilkinson, Kluson). I have Schaller Locking tuners in 3 / 1 of the Fender / Squier Upgraded Partscasters I assembled. I also like Grover Rotomatic tuners. Make sure you buy from reputable sellers (there are forgeries being sold as real but at Super cheap prices) or you can get copies tuners in style of this brand. Chrome, gold, black, distressed, brushed finish contribute to overall look. Upgrading the bridge is also something you can do. There are so many many options for making the guitar your own. Some irreversible mods are what I try to avoid like installing Bigsby trem system. Good luck on what ever you choose.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Just personalization, not mods?

OK, other than a home made stickers, I've put a Ford Mustang fender badge (actual Ford part) between the bridge and the strap pin on a Fender Mustang. Put a home made Offspring logo under a clear pick guard on an RG. Do these count?
I routed out a custom Esquire to put a Classic 57' in the neck. Mod, or dastardly deed? You decide.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
I routed out a custom Esquire to put a Classic 57' in the neck. Mod, or dastardly deed? You decide.

Almost didn't recognize you with the new Avatar...what is it?
Like customized neckplate?

Shredneck LP series Deluxe photoflame with custom neckplate
Quote by SpeedSterHR

It's a painting from Once Upon a Time in the West when you're looking through a dude's legs at the main character, but I'm quickly learning that it doesn't scale well.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by SpeedSterHR

When in doubt... just assume it's a dildo.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
When in doubt... just assume it's a dildo.

Wise words indeed.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
After market pick guard? Yeah. Didn't see that the first time. Diamond plate might look good on a Thunderhorse if anodized black. Carbon fiber has potential too. This guy does a great job with it and offers lots of other options: http://www.quickguards.com/ . See #s 131 & 132 in the "gallery" for examples: http://www.quickguards.com/index.php?gallery . He can do back plates and truss covers, too. Carbon costs double the regular cost because he cuts those by hand and it's real carbon fiber, so that's not easy.
Quote by dspellman
Google "guitar wraps and skins."

he could do that or get a couple of the other things mentioned but that seems self defeating. personalizing should be something that is about you and not something store bought that any other fool can buy and stick on his guitar. just my 2 cents
Would sanding down the neck on my Les Paul to more of a satin finish (as opposed to the glossy finish) count as personalizing it?

If so, then I can definitely say that it's a personal thing that not a ton of guitarists do to their instruments.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by aerosmithfan95
Would sanding down the neck on my Les Paul to more of a satin finish (as opposed to the glossy finish) count as personalizing it?

If so, then I can definitely say that it's a personal thing that not a ton of guitarists do to their instruments.

I suppose I prefer satin necks as well, but definitely am not doing it on my Thunderhorse lmao
Quote by monwobobbo
he could do that or get a couple of the other things mentioned but that seems self defeating. personalizing should be something that is about you and not something store bought that any other fool can buy and stick on his guitar. just my 2 cents

Did you notice that you can design and print ANY graphic you like to put it on your guitar?
And you can remove it when you're ready to and put something else on. It essentially protects the original paint. Friend of mine used to switch up his guitar about once every four months, though these transit vinyl graphics will last a couple of years. They wrap buses, race cars and food trucks in this same stuff.

I think that simply changing knobs, etc., does very little to "personalize" your guitar.
Quote by aerosmithfan95

A ton of guitarists do that to their cheap guitars (less often to expensive ones), usually with a green scotchbrite pad (and gently). It's not something that anyone else would notice, of course -- especially since folks have actually been finishing necks (without the sanding part) on new guitars in a satin finish (usually poly) for 25 years or so.
A Ghost bridge with hex and acoustic saddles would be very high on the top of my list... and a D-tuna.
I've not done much, my LP is the only one I have the balls to mess with much. I scalloped a bone nut for it and got Gus G to sign the pickguard, I'm getting some 00 steel wool soon to sand the neck and changing it to 50's wiring. Eventually I'd like to get some gold top-hat knobs and put a Gotoh bridge / tailpiece in, not sure what pickups I want in it yet.
Quote by dragonzrmetal
I've not done much, my LP is the only one I have the balls to mess with much. I scalloped a bone nut for it and got Gus G to sign the pickguard, I'm getting some 00 steel wool soon to sand the neck and changing it to 50's wiring. Eventually I'd like to get some gold top-hat knobs and put a Gotoh bridge / tailpiece in, not sure what pickups I want in it yet.

Suggestion: use a green scotchbrite pad instead of 00 steel wool. If you MUST use steel wool, buy the 0000 (four 0's) stuff and cover your pickups completely (tape, etc.). In terms of function, all you want to do is knock back the gloss. If you sand through the clear coat, you can end up with all kinds of neck issues.

50's wiring does nothing for you.

There are other options for bridges and tailpieces (Faber, etc.) and even some that will actually make a difference (how about a Schaller harmonica bridge and a TP-6 tailpiece) in both looks and function.
I'll try the scotchbrite pad, I'm surprised that that would do anything, thanks.

I heard 50's wiring meant the tone knobs actually did something, in that you could roll down the tone and retain the treble tones, and that with bumblebee caps in you could get some half-cocked wah pedal tones?

I'll look more into bridges.
Quote by anthonymarisc
I suppose I prefer satin necks as well, but definitely am not doing it on my Thunderhorse lmao

Well, since it's an Epi LP Standard that I've had for 7 years (only owner), it has a lot of sentimental value. Why not make it more enjoyable for me to play?

Quote by dspellman
A ton of guitarists do that to their cheap guitars (less often to expensive ones), usually with a green scotchbrite pad (and gently). It's not something that anyone else would notice, of course -- especially since folks have actually been finishing necks (without the sanding part) on new guitars in a satin finish (usually poly) for 25 years or so.

Yeah, I know guys typically to cheaper guys. Than again, my particular (mentioned above) was $500/550 new when I bought it many years ago (September 2008), so it's not like it was some complete "el cheapo" guitar.

Would I do it to a guitar that was more expensive ($1000-$2000 range)? Maybe, depending on the guitar, if the neck was overly glossy, or if it was going to be a keeper. I wouldn't do it to my American Strat because the neck on that feels and plays perfectly for me.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Last edited by aerosmithfan95 at Nov 7, 2015,
Cut off that pointy upper bout? Use a soldering iron and burn a stick men and woman into the guitar?Drag the guitar behind a pickup truck for a genuine imitation relic look? The choices are limited only by your imagination.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
the first post mentioned a Epi Thunder Horse which is an Explorer variant.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Last edited by Bhaok at Nov 9, 2015,
Quote by dragonzrmetal

I heard 50's wiring meant the tone knobs actually did something, in that you could roll down the tone and retain the treble tones, and that with bumblebee caps in you could get some half-cocked wah pedal tones?

Definite no on the last. That's the province of an out-of-phase switch. Better yet, you might look into a Chandler Tone-X (I have these on a couple of guitars now). Bumblebee caps don't do anything; as long as you have the same values, caps are the same (big cork-sniffing arguments aside about tiny subtleties).
Quote by dragonzrmetal
I'll try the scotchbrite pad, I'm surprised that that would do anything, thanks.

Functionally, it will knock the gloss off the neck by putting a lot of "micro scratches" into the finish, and remove some of the surface tension that makes a neck feel sticky when you start sweating. This video (while it overemphasizes the speed gain) will give you an idea how to do it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxGz6IZ9BFI
Quote by dspellman
Suggestion: use a green scotchbrite pad instead of 00 steel wool. In terms of function, all you want to do is knock back the gloss. If you sand through the clear coat, you can end up with all kinds of neck issues.

Turned out to be one of the best things I've ever done for my guitar, way better. Thanks a lot.